Top 3 Scottish League Club Names

Enough of this "named after a novel" stuff. Is it not more correct to say that Hearts are effectively named after a nightclub, which later closed-down?

It was named after Sir Walter Scott's popular historical crowd-pleaser.

It in turn was named after a council office, prison, torture dungeon and municipal gallows.

Enough of this "named after a novel" stuff. Is it not more correct to say that Hearts are effectively named after a nightclub, which later closed-down?

No. Now get your hole.

No idea where I seen it originally, but I do remember reading of a team from Scotland called Grasshoppers, so after a quick Google I stumbled across the statto.com website, some crackin' names from times past.

Albatross, Balaclava Rangers, Bellstane Birds, Coylton Coila, Dumbarton Rock, Excelsior, Harmonic, Hyde Park Locomotive Works, Kilmarnock Loch Lommonds, Lugar Boswell, Maybole Ladywell, Our Boys Blairgowrie, Portland Lybstor, Renfrew Ramblers, Solway Star and United Abstainers Athletic.

1. Hamilton Academical - yes yes I know I'm biased, but I'm someone who always likes to be different so of course I favour this name, it's unique, you'll struggle to find another football team with Academical on the end of it, not like your common city, rovers, athletic, united etc

2. Heart of Midlothian same as above

3. Raith Rovers - just always liked the way it sounded.

1. Hamilton Academical - yes yes I know I'm biased, but I'm someone who always likes to be different so of course I favour this name, it's unique, you'll struggle to find another football team with Academical on the end of it, not like your common city, rovers, athletic, united etc

2. Heart of Midlothian same as above

3. Raith Rovers - just always liked the way it sounded.

Alliteration in Action

I'll throw in another couple that I like. Glasgow Perthshire always appealed to me being from Perthshire and living in Glasgow for a while. Dennistoun Waverley is another good one as I lived there as a student - they're no longer on the go I'm afraid.

Great thread.

Wick Academy. - great contradiction in terms

Hamilton Academical - Always liked the name

Partick Thistle - geographically redundant but probably the most iconic name in Scottish football 8)

Kind of off topic, but I always wondered how different our history would have panned out had we chosen a name more closely associated with the city. Obviously being formed 12 years before Celtic we had no way of knowing the kind of hold the Old Firm would have ended up having over the Scottish game, but I can't help but think we missed an opportunity by not calling ourselves 'Glasgow FC' or something. No way of proving it of course but I like to think it would have worked to our favour down the line in really emphasising us as the city's alternative to a rivalry inherently grounded in sectarianism.

The best names in the professional set up are Heart of Midlothian, Queen of the South and Greenock Morton. No one can be arsed saying 'Inverness Caledonian Thistle' in its entirety when referring to the club, which is why their name is shite. I get why they had to include 'Thistle' but 'Inverness Caledonian' is just so much more sexy and discrete.

Think ICT were originally Caledonian Thistle but later added the Inverness as well??

Think clubs get more support from their local council if they have the town name in there.. Promotes the town, whereas if you were just Morton or Caley Thistle, nobody outside of football fans would know where you're from.

Airdrieonians and (in a circuitous manner!!) St Johnstone are also named after their town... Partick, Queen's Park and Raith are named after places within their city/town... Ross County, East Fife and East Stirlingshire are named after their county / or part thereof (and you could say the same thing about Heart of Midlothian although again by a roundabout route)... Clyde are named after the river running through their city.

Albion Rovers is a meaningless void of a name. It's like calling a club Athletic City, Thistle United or Town County.

Some personal favourites of mine are:

romantic-sounding ones like Clachnacuddin, Gala Fairydean Rovers, Hawick Royal Albert, Kilbirnie Ladeside, Banks o'Dee and Jeanfield Swifts

industrial-sounding ones like of Civil Service Strollers, Forres Mechanics, Burntisland Shipyard and Inverurie Loco Works

saintly ones like St Mirren, St Johnstone, St Anthony, St Roch, Banchory St Ternan, Nairn St Ninian, etc.

and a few notable blasts from the past

Jedburgh Artisans

Perseverance Arbroath

Our Boys Blairgowrie

Inverness Citadel

United Abstainers, Greenock Abstainers and Temperance Athletic

Champfleurie

all topped by the glorious

Sir John Maxwell FC

I bet their celebrations were a lot of fun if they won a trophy...

This thread reminds me of a night in a pub in Norwich a couple of years ago. Sky Sports News was on the TV and had the results from the Scottish Cup 1st round scrolling along the bottom. The guys we were with thought we were taking the piss when we told them that teams like Hawick Royal Albert and Civil Service Strollers did actually exist and weren't just a wind-up.

My favourites are all names which have an industrial link. They're not the most romantic names, but there is something to be said for maintaining the link to the team's history:

3) Forres Mechanics

2) Burntisland Shipyard

1) Inverurie Loco Works