Top 3 Scottish League Club Names

Edinburgh University Dumfries & Galloway Students FC must've had great selection difficulties.

Whoever it was who liked the idea of a game between Inverness Citadel and Perseverance Arbroath should no doubt like the idea. of Citadel playing a derby against Inverness District Asylum FC, which I understand actually happened in real-life.

Another great Inverness Junior club of the inter-war era was Catch-my-Pal. Sadly, I have no idea how the nomenclature came about.

Edited by HibeeJibee

To return to the flower/plant/tree theme... two of the early Glasgow clubs went simply by the names of Daisy and Orchard.

To the joy of ornithologists, and the despair of STD clinicians, the current defending champions of the Airdrie & Coatbridge Sunday League are Thrushbush FC.

To return to the flower/plant/tree theme... two of the early Glasgow clubs went simply by the names of Daisy and Orchard.

To the joy of ornithologists, and the despair of STD clinicians, the current defending champions of the Airdrie & Coatbridge Sunday League are Thrushbush FC.

That should read Thrashbush. Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Edinburgh University Dumfries & Galloway Students FC must've had great selection difficulties.

Whoever it was who liked the idea of a game between Inverness Citadel and Perseverance Arbroath should no doubt like the idea. of Citadel playing a derby against Inverness District Asylum FC, which I understand actually happened in real-life.

Another great Inverness Junior club of the inter-war era was Catch-my-Pal. Sadly, I have no idea how the nomenclature came about.

The catch my pal movement was another temperance movement.

I like the originality of our name but Linlithgow Rose and Heart of Midlothian take it for me.

Also why do Morton have the suffix they do? Apologies in advance if I'm missing the blatant obvious but it just seems like a strange one.

Civil Service Strollers rolls off the tongue quite nicely.

Partick Thistle - biased as I am - is a pretty nice sounding name.

Heart of Midlothian is a cracking name.

On something of a tangent - what about nicknames for sides? I quite like Ayr's (the honest men) and Queen of the South (the Doonhamers)

Glenafton Athletic

Made even better for me by their nickname, Flow Gently, coming from a Robert Burns poem.

"Flow gently, sweet Afton! amang thy green braes, Flow gently, I'll sing thee a song in thy praise;

My Mary's asleep by thy murmuring stream, Flow gently, sweet Afton, disturb not her dream."

:wub: