Dundee Derby Ne'er Day Ding-Dong

• Replies 967
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way we're playing right now I might offer my hand.

Time for some changes. I'm assuming that Jackie still hasn't figured out a Plan A2 formation, so it's the usual 4-2-3-1. Telfer and Dow in to freshen up the midfield. Big Pat and Paton anchoring/kicking.

Rado

Dillon Fojut Morris Townsend

Butcher Paton

Erskine Telfer Dow

Ciftci

After today, Morris will probably be out for weeks

And weeks

ETA I just watched the post match interview on ArabZone...... Apparently it's an Achilles problem. Christ knows why they let him play on with something like that. The next time I see Jackie MacNamara I'm going to boot him right in the baws

Dillon in for Morris if he's injured. Spittal out, Connolly or GMS in. Would love it if we played 4-4-2 and offered Ciftci some actual support up front, but we can't do that because McNamara thought that it'll be alright if we have just two recognised strikers in the squad.

As I've said numerous times. He's the height and build where he should be clearing everycunto out his path and taking everything. What does he do? The ONE FUCKING TIME he left his line today, nobody near him, no pressure, he flaps it, draps it, then takes an age to get it up the park whilst Boyle was away.

Get it up the park to Boyle? Nae point in that. He's shite.

Dillon in for Morris if he's injured. Spittal out, Connolly or GMS in. Would love it if we played 4-4-2 and offered Ciftci some actual support up front, but we can't do that because McNamara thought that it'll be alright if we have just two recognised strikers in the squad.

I'm happy with 4-2-3-1 but yes it would be nice to have the personell to change things if necessary. In fairness we can keep the same formation and just tell one or other of the three behind Ciftci to stay a wee bit closer. We were doing that exceptionally well the first half of last season when one or other of the attacking midfielders always seemed to be up supporting the striker.

I agree re Dillon if Morris is not fit, hopefully Watson can play RB. I'd have Connolly ahead of GMS; in fact I'd have Telfer ahead of GMS.

GMS did look more in the mood yesterday for the two minutes McNamara let him on the park for. I'd be tempted to start him.

Rankin has to be worried about his starting berth, after rediscovering some form against Celtic, he was pretty brutal again yesterday. I think the fact we had far less of the ball against Celtic suited him. Boy would have trouble playing pass the parcel.

I'm now even less confident. We seem to be the experts at stopping other teams' bad runs.

This was United all over during the dark years of the late 90s to mid 2000s. Every other fucking week we were the ones stopping teams' bizzare poor stats.

Team comes to Tannadice having not scored away from home in 5 games, no away wins in the calendar year, have conceded at least 2 in the last eleven games, including 3 and 4 to lower league opposition in the cup. The last time they scored more than 2 away from home was four years ago. 'Star' striker hasn't scored since the opening game of the season. Four starters out injured. A 19 year old left-back and a 5ft 7 midfielder playing central defence. Manager on the brink of the sack and has a nasty flu. Easy win for United. Result - 0-3, star striker hat-trick, 1 shot on goal for United with 32% possession.

Does anyone know if Bilate is anywhere near fit?

I basically agree with NDD's team with one change:

Letheren

Irvine McPake Konrad Dyer

McGowan Thomson

McAllister Harkins Stewart

Tankulic

2-0 Dundee. Feel strangely confident given how shite we were yesterday and how it can't get worse.

Clarkson does nothing when we're up against it and it would be unfair on Tankulic if he were to be dropped after playing well yesterday.

Was previously unsure on Harkins playing in a derby but Boyle played like QWOP yesterday so I don't see any other choice. Would be worried about playing the Canadian and Harkins with their work rates together.

If we play like we did in the last Derby then we'll get something.

Crazy anyone suggesting we drop our top scorer to play a striker who has scored zero goals for us.

He contributes nothing when we're up against it. He isn't a hard worker (I don't know why a lot of people seem to think he is) and when we've got to dig in, he just doesn't do it. There are times where he prefers to fall to the ground and try to win fouls (which he won't get) and then stamps his feet and moans at the ref when he could have stayed up and maybe created something.

Tankulic yesterday gave it his all and looked more likely to do something. He did brilliantly to get the shot away early on in the first half and I know who I'd rather have on the pitch right now. Clarkson's movement is good but it's pointless when we need him to do more.

EDIT: Posted before I read Deeboys post which is strangely similar.

Clarkson is currently offering nothing.

The same could be said for most of the team, Maybe Stewart and McPake being the exceptions. Give Clarkson the chance and he will score, well 9 times out of 10 anyway. The Tank wasn't exactly Messi yesterday, he was just better than he has been in previous games he has played (which wouldn't be too difficult) No way should Clarkson be dropped for him.

My team would be-

Gk-Bain (if fit) if not Davo

Rb-Irvine

Cb-McPake

Cb-Konrad

Lb-Dyer

Cm-McGowan

Cm-Thomson

Lm-Harkins

Rm-McAlister

St-Stewart

St-Clarkson

You BNBs haven't half turned on the golden boy goal machine. Dafuq.

If you look at my earlier posts during his goal scoring run, he's always frustrated me so I've been entirely consistent! Think he's a good player to have but he's one of these guys who just gets really annoying since he doesn't seem to do anything but score. I'm sure he'll go on another scoring run if we can improve upon the midfield and settle a bit.

I'm happy with 4-2-3-1 but yes it would be nice to have the personell to change things if necessary. In fairness we can keep the same formation and just tell one or other of the three behind Ciftci to stay a wee bit closer. We were doing that exceptionally well the first half of last season when one or other of the attacking midfielders always seemed to be up supporting the striker.

I agree re Dillon if Morris is not fit, hopefully Watson can play RB. I'd have Connolly ahead of GMS; in fact I'd have Telfer ahead of GMS.

I'd have GMS and Connolly on from the start, have them attacking the Dundee full backs from the off (particularly with McGinn suspended). Doubt McNamara will do that though, and we'll continue to play intricate but ineffective passes through the most congested area of the pitch.

After today, Morris will probably be out for weeks

And weeks

ETA I just watched the post match interview on ArabZone...... Apparently it's an Achilles problem. Christ knows why they let him play on with something like that. The next time I see Jackie MacNamara I'm going to boot him right in the baws

Without doubt, one of the most mind boggling decisions I've ever seen a United manager make, or not make, in this case!

Archived