QoS v Livi

God, we needed that and deserved it overall.

The goal we lost was catastrophic, featuring about four separate failures to deal with a situation that should have been comfortable.

For me, the turning point came when they hit the post at the start of the second half. We were struggling at the time and I would not have been hopeful had we gone behind. The incident also led to Atkinson taking the field and it was his clever pass to Holt that created our second goal.

Our overall second half performance was pretty good, but Reilly is in desperate need of a goal. He's now missed about five excellent chances since the Rangers game and his confidence is low in front of goal.

Am I right in saying that despite Baird being on the bench, he wasn't out on the field at half-time? Obviously, he wasn't one of the three we used either.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The goal we lost was catastrophic, featuring about four separate failures to deal with a situation that should have been comfortable.

For me, the turning point came when they hit the post at the start of the second half. We were struggling at the time and I would not have been hopeful had we gone behind. The incident also led to Atkinson taking the field and it was his clever pass to Holt that created our second goal.

Our overall second half performance was pretty good, but Reilly is in desperate need of a goal. He's now missed about five excellent chances since the Rangers game and his confidence is low in front of goal.

Am I right in saying that despite Baird being on the bench, he wasn't out on the field at half-time? Obviously, he wasn't one of the three we used either.

All the other sub's bar him warmed up at half time.

Fairly comfortable win, in the end, and could have been more comfortable. For all their possession Livy didnt really create much up front, resorting too often to long balls forward. They had more of the ball, particularly first half, but it was always Queens who looked more likely to score.

Derek Lyle is some man! That ball for Russell's goal was worth the entry alone. He did well to anticipate and then score from a tight angle for his own goal as well. I can't imagine he has played as much football as he would like to have done in his second stint with us, but he responds in the correct manner by using it as motivation.

If you believe the pundits and commentators in the media then diving is ruining football, and the worst thing to happen since the holocaust. It is of course utter nonsense as today proved. Can anyone tell me what benefit there was to Reilly staying on his feet when he was unceremoniously chopped down by Mensing? He was knocked off his stride making the one-on-one chance harder (yes he should have still scored), and his "honesty" not only cost a goal, but also meant a clear foul went unpunished. Absolutely daft.

An entertaining match today with a crowd of 1940 in attendance. The turning point as has been said was when Livi looked like scoring and Zander took a sore one and had to go off.

Dowie scored but should have had a second with an easier chance in the 2nd half. In the end we were well worth the 3 points and might well have scored a few more. I was pleased with Jim Atkinson when he came on, he looked assured and confident and did everything asked of him, his distribution of the ball both kicking and throwing is very good.

Great 3 points and I just hope that any behind the scenes niggles get ironed out soon and we keep moving onwards and upwards.

If you believe the pundits and commentators in the media then diving is ruining football, and the worst thing to happen since the holocaust. It is of course utter nonsense as today proved. Can anyone tell me what benefit there was to Reilly staying on his feet when he was unceremoniously chopped down by Mensing? He was knocked off his stride making the one-on-one chance harder (yes he should have still scored), and his "honesty" not only cost a goal, but also meant a clear foul went unpunished. Absolutely daft.

Was talking to my mate after this happened (as was the whole of the ground it felt. Did anyone else notice how subdued the whole place became after Reilly missed?) and said he should have went down. I detest diving, so much so that I've seen myself shout at our own players for doing it; see Stevie Murray. But to me, had Reilly hit the deck it wouldn't have been a dive so I wouldn't have classed it as cheating (which is entirely what diving is). Mensing clearly made contact and it was a blatant foul. The referee made the correct decision though. He played advantage to see if Reilly would have got a chance, which he did. He then booked Mensing for the foul afterwards. I don't think he could have sent him off as Reilly had his goalscoring opportunity and f£cked it up.

David Roberston on the other hand is a great example of karma for diving b£st£rds. Had he stayed on his feet and not tried to con the ref, we might not have went up the other end and scored :)

After a pretty nervy start we looked pretty good in the end. I think the midfield was pretty powderpuff and Livi correctly pressed highly. The goal we conceded was comically bad a couple of sliced clearances and then a missed timed header gave White a late Christmas present. But after Jim went on he made a couple of really important saves at 1-1 before hitting a great kick to start the break. He looks better every time I see him and his throwing looks a lot better. Livingston's marking at set pieces was horrifically bad how Dowie missed I have no idea. Gavin's misses were poor but at least he got an assist which was the very least he deserved.

Iain Russell and Derek Lyle are absolute #ballers first the goal and then Beany was pulling off some mad skillz later on.

Good result after a rough week and hopefully we can start moving forward again.

Did he book Mensing? I didn't notice that.

Mensing is an absolute carthorse. If we had played the ball on the deck more in the first half like we did in the second we would have had it wrapped up before the hour mark. The aimless high balls we opted for in the first half were meat and drink to the big man. As soon as the ball was on the deck near him he looked like a disaster waiting to happen. I lost count of the number of times we rolled it out from Clark to Holt, who then played it up to Russell who passed it back to one of our centre halves, who then launched it in the direction of Reilly. We really did miss Kerr dropping into the "quarter-back" position and starting moves from there.

I thought Kidd did quite well in a "McKenna role", he covered a lot of ground and made a lot of tackles that broke the play up. He still treated the ball like a hot potato when he was in possession of it. McShane just isn't imposing enough and had one of his poorer games were a lot of the play just passed him by. The second half improvement was a lot to do with Lyle dropping a bit deeper and linking the midfield with the attack. It was probably closer to a 4-2-3-1 than a 4-4-2 by the end which might be a good way to go for the next few weeks as Paton can do that linking role very well for us too I think.

Positives: McShane again was excellent in central midfield, particularly in the 2nd half when he grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Who2 years ago would have thought he would turn into such a good player? Certainly not me!

Jimbo also done great when he came on. His distribution is Robinson esk and he came out and gathered a fair few crosses. He looks ready now which is great for us.

Holt and Beany again showed why we probably some of the best left sided players in the league. Some of beanys skills in the 2nd half were ridiculous.

Reilly despite not scoring had a very good game along with Lyle. His searing pace caused the Livi backline all sorts of bother.

Negatives:

Baird! The sooner he is away the better and if it is true he was alienated at the start, then this can only be a good thing as it shows the players are on Fowlers side.

Kevin Dzierzawski will now surely look to leave. How pissed off must he be when Kidd is favoured to him in centre mid.

Zander Clark also suffered what looked a nasty injury and also got stretchered off which is a concern.

As for Livi not many players impressed but again Gallagher showed what a great player he is with everything about his game. If Im being honest I think he will go further in the game than Durnan as his composure on the ball stands out a mile in this league as well as his defending

Really, yes he probably should have scored though every other striker would have gone down under the challenge. but we all thought his overall play was tremendous.

That must have been the worst first half performance I have seen in a long time. Everything we feared about the team happened - players didn't seen capable of passing to each other, third to every ball, lack of movement, central midfield was non existent and Reilly left isolated up front trying to take down high balls. Their goal summed up our performance.

I don't know what was in the tea at half time but bar the first 10mins we looked a different team specially after they hit the post when it looked easier to score and Clark's injury. If that had gone in I feared for us. Last 35mins we played some of best football I have seen for a long time as every player got to grips and showed determination.

Atkinson took crosses well and had real positive attacking throws and had a two really good save. Holy and Russell started to link up well down the left and some of Russell's flicks were amazing. Carmichael started to terrorise the right back as McShane and Kidd got to grips with midfield. Reilly was strong in running but to me it was Lyle who started to pull the strings with his goal and setting up third goal was defence splitting pass. Good to see Dowie back showing what he is good at - solid defender who contributes at set pieces.

Better team won - not much argument there - but it's also the case that we've played a lot better this season.

First half was mainly about Livi's successful gameplan to play 100mph, physical hoofball, with both sides barely able to string together half a dozen passes before the ball ended up in touch. First goal was classic Queens setpiece simplicity, but the equalizer was a pantomime season special - I'm surprised the lad holding the trombone behind the goal didn't immediately give it a comedy 'waah-waaaaahhh-waah' slide as the ball rolled over the line....

Second half Queens display was much better, getting the ball down and playing as the gaps began to appear. Mensing was lucky to escape a straight red for his rugby move on Reilly - who really should have gone down - but, generally speaking, neither Reilly's subsequent miss or Mensing's hypothetical ordering off would have affected the result today. 3-1 was about right.

Not a game that will live too long in the memory, but if we're in the playoffs come the end of the season then results like today's would have been vital in getting us there.

Archived