Decent areas near Edinburgh

Oh yeah it's called The Other Place now, prices have gone up a bit since then, I prefer Smithies if down that end, obviously would rather be in the Cask though. This new drink drive law as curtailed my 1 for the toad on the way to pick the missus up, she works on Dumdas St so the Cask was ace for a swifty early doors.

Grimbo

Used to drink in Canonmills/Broughton St area a lot. Still do, was in Smithies a couple of Saturdays ago. Since heard its a bit of a Jambo pub though unfortunately. :lol:

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just further up towards Holy Corner they've opened a German Bakery/Deli. That place is fantastic. As is that new Nardinis ice cream place.

I may give that a crack the next time I'm up there. I really like that Tollcross a 5-10 minute walk away as well. I don't go to any other cinema than the Cameo now for the value and the subtle extras it provides.

Also for the OP, a couple of less obvious choices for cheaper houses are the Leith end of Restalrig Rd and Portobello end of Craigentinny. Not necessarily recommending these areas but would be worth a look. Duddingston (make sure its not Niddrie/Craigmillar) would be quite good too but probably not all that cheap.

Wally Dug & the Cumberland Bar are nice but I really like Clark's Bar, it's got that real old traditional feel to it.

Not been in many over Haymarket way, I met some mates in the pub right next to the train station there, we went up to watch the Man City friendly at Hearts, took them in the Diggers

Grimbo

Clarks Bar, there's a memory jolt. Worked across the road in LAS(?) for a couple of weeks years ago and that was the lunchtime haunt. As you say, good traditional boozer. My memories are of an old guy in his 60's who obviously didn't give one hanging off a pole in the office at 2 o clock one Friday afternoon trying to get back to his desk!

My family are all from Edinburgh-dad from Leith and mum from some farming place that's now probably a housing estate. Grandparents lived in Polwarth but prior to that lived in Slateford(?). They lived in Moat Terrace and at the top of their road was the Moat Bar. Too young then but I've always fancied going for a pint, just not had the chance. Any good?

My family are all from Edinburgh-dad from Leith and mum from some farming place that's now probably a housing estate. Grandparents lived in Polwarth but prior to that lived in Slateford(?). They lived in Moat Terrace and at the top of their road was the Moat Bar. Too young then but I've always fancied going for a pint, just not had the chance. Any good?

The Moat is now an Indian.

Archived