Better Call Saul

The Real Saints

21 hours ago, Yoss said:

By this point in the timeline he's not had - and surely been known not to have been using - the Esteem for more than six years.

But surely the car must be well known so wouldn't take too much to tie Saul/Gene to it?

Spoiler

From the preview looks like Saul's trying to get extracted again but may not make it. Could be a huge red herring again like the "and after all that, a happy ending scene"

I can see why people would want Saul to be punished but in the end I still find myself rooting for him but just don't see how things can end well 

15 hours ago, Bert Raccoon said:

But surely the car must be well known so wouldn't take too much to tie Saul/Gene to it?

I'm not a forensics expert but I don't think the police would have much trouble distinguishing a newly-wrecked car from one that had been lying for six years.

What about Kim is fed up with Jimmy ruining folks lives and kills him and it's her that uses the Albuquerque former prosecutor as her defense attorney 🤔 just feel that would be a classic BCS ending 

Do we know the timeframe from the events of BB that Gene is living in?

I'm thinking the Gene timeline must be several months/around a year afterwards at the very most. It's still fresh enough that he's actively still being sought by the FBI and Jesse's car being found near Mexico is still relevant enough to warrant Jimmy being told about it.

I don't think he has been Gene for all that long a time whereas previously I'd thought he'd been in his new life for a good few years.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Do we know the timeframe from the events of BB that Gene is living in?

I'm thinking the Gene timeline must be several months/around a year afterwards at the very most. It's still fresh enough that he's actively still being sought by the FBI and Jesse's car being found near Mexico is still relevant enough to warrant Jimmy being told about it.

I don't think he has been Gene for all that long a time whereas previously I'd thought he'd been in his new life for a good few years.

Yes exactly so - I'd also assumed at first that it was a bit further down the line, but they've put in some references in recent episodes (eg the sporting conversation with the security guard referring to specific dateable games; also the phone call with Francesca) making it clear this is still late 2010, only a matter of months after the later events of Breaking Bad.

Yeah the newspaper he read when studying the sports news was dated October 2010, and Francesca was always supposed to make that phonecall in November 2010 wasn't she, Jimmy's 50th.

Interestingly there is a Den of Greek article I read a while ago that timestamps every Saul appearance in BB and reckons his whole story from first appearance to last takes part in just 7 months, from April to October 2010. It's a really right timeframe in Breaking Bad that he appears over!

This pretty much puts Gene's activities in Nebraska as happening almost immediately after he's arrived there, he just couldn't lay low for any length of time at all.

WW dies in BB in September 2010, and Jesse's ("present day") El Camino storyline covers the days in the aftermath of that. So the storyline timescale is very tight here across the three.

Edited by Christophe

Wikipedia (I know, I know, although all articles are citation-ed to fuck these days) always starts with 'in 2010.....' when mentioning the Gene plot in the episode synopsis.

15 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

Just a wild suggestion 

Hide contents

What if the final scene is Jimmy getting out of prison after a decade and the year is 2022

Spoiler

Because the idea of him doing 10 years in prison after all that has transpired is simply not going to happen. As Francesca said in her call, everyone is dead, long gone or has made a deal to the point where they even have her under surveillance. There's no-one left for him to cut a deal against so will definitely be the example to be made.

10 hours ago, Christophe said:

Interestingly there is a Den of Greek article I read a while ago that timestamps every Saul appearance in BB and reckons his whole story from first appearance to last takes part in just 7 months, from April to October 2010. It's a really right timeframe in Breaking Bad that he appears over!

Don't think that's true to be honest.

The second last episode of BB spans around 5 months in itself from April-Sept 2010. Hank dies in March 2010 so clearly the timeframe of 7 months for all of Saul's involvement doesn't stack up.

Reading into it a bit more, the timeline suggests Saul asked to be extracted around April/May 2010. So he's been living as Gene for 5-6 months.

Saul first meets Walt/Jesse in late 2008, right before Skylar give birth to Holly who is nearly 2 years old at the time of Walter's death.

Edited by djchapsticks

27 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Saul first meets Walt/Jesse in late 2008, right before Skylar give birth to Holly who is nearly 2 years old at the time of Walter's death.

Yeah, think all of that is right.

1 hour ago, Clown Job said:

Just a wild suggestion 

Reveal hidden contents

What if the final scene is Jimmy getting out of prison after a decade and the year is 2022

I don't think it's what they'll do but I like the idea. I take dj's point that there'd no way he'd get off so lightly *if* they can pin everything on him. But he was arms-length to the worst stuff that was going on (and so many of the witnesses are dead) so maybe there'd not be enough evidence to get him on anything except some of the more minor charges.

32 minutes ago, Yoss said:

Yeah, think all of that is right.

I don't think it's what they'll do but I like the idea. I take dj's point that there'd no way he'd get off so lightly *if* they can pin everything on him. But he was arms-length to the worst stuff that was going on (and so many of the witnesses are dead) so maybe there'd not be enough evidence to get him on anything except some of the more minor charges.

Aye I was thinking that.  He's an accomplice at worst and they obviously always get less than the criminals themselves.  And I agree about the evidence, up until the last episode where they now have an idea of his whereabouts thanks to Marion, what concrete evidence do the Feds actually have on him? I doubt the raid on his mansion will find much.  All his interactions were on destroyed burner phones or face to face with people who are dead or have been vacuum stored (Jesse).

40 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Anyone planning on watching it live at 2am tomorrow morning? Anyone with iptv will be able to get a live AMC stream.

I've got it on subscription on amazon, and up to now they've been coming up at midnight on Monday night / Tuesday morning - which I think is actually before they're broadcast in the US. I doubt that's deliberate, probably just slipped under the radar. But I'll be having a look to see if it's there again tonight.

(Otherwise no, I'll just wait until tomorrow.)

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

Aye I was thinking that.  He's an accomplice at worst and they obviously always get less than the criminals themselves.  And I agree about the evidence, up until the last episode where they now have an idea of his whereabouts thanks to Marion, what concrete evidence do the Feds actually have on him? I doubt the raid on his mansion will find much.  All his interactions were on destroyed burner phones or face to face with people who are dead or have been vacuum stored (Jesse).

I think that, given they can’t get Walter or Jesse, the DEA would throw absolutely everything at getting Saul for as long as possible. They also have whatever Huell told them and maybe they found the tape of Jesse’s confession which Jack’s gang had. We also don’t know if Skylar has talked about Saul to them or not, but they presumably have something. 

I also don’t see, from a narrative perspective, Saul getting off more easily than any other character in the Breaking Bad universe for his involvement with Walter White. They basically all, including White, pay a high price in the end, so I think 10 years seems too lenient. 

21 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think that, given they can’t get Walter or Jesse, the DEA would throw absolutely everything at getting Saul for as long as possible. They also have whatever Huell told them and maybe they found the tape of Jesse’s confession which Jack’s gang had. We also don’t know if Skylar has talked about Saul to them or not, but they presumably have something. 

I also don’t see, from a narrative perspective, Saul getting off more easily than any other character in the Breaking Bad universe for his involvement with Walter White. They basically all, including White, pay a high price in the end, so I think 10 years seems too lenient. 

Never though of Skyler, she could easily blab.  Kim too.

Truly excellent show. Definitely prefer it to Breaking bad.

Nothing is ever spelt out in simple terms, i think the writing has always shown a huge amount of respect for the intelligence of viewer. Brilliant stuff, shite that it's almost finished but this series has been very very good. 

Our man Gene to end up dead somehow I think.

On 11/08/2022 at 10:12, Christophe said:

Yeah, so many good callbacks....

The automated parking lot where Mike used to work when Kim returned to the courthouse.

Kim's BBQ music (Rupert Holmes).

As I'm sure you know, although everyone knows it as "The Pina Colada Song", its real title is "Escape".