Celtic progressing & Rangers regressing.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...

IMHO, Celtic have done more to rid the knuckledraggers out of their support in recent years. When I got the train to Celtic v Kilmarnock in October of last year I was able to chat with Celtic fans and enjoy some good #bantz with their fans. Even walked from Bridgeton with a couple of them. No issue whatsoever. Of course their support still has some morons, but it seems like they've been cut down in number dramatically in recent times.

Rangers on the other hand... Travelling to the cup game at Ibrox was horrible. Songs that would have been out of place in the 1800's, general abuse and altogether just an insidious atmosphere. Had the unfortunate experience of getting a train to visit the Missus' family when Rangers were away to Dumbarton and the same thing was true.

I grew up thinking that Rangers and Celtic supporters were as bad as each other, but it seems that Celtic have made strides forward whereas Rangers aren't even treading water - they're positively sinking in bile.

Discuss.

At first when I seen this thread appear that it might and could have been a decent thread, that is until the usual OF suspects hadn't started posting and then derailing and descending the thread into petty point scoring and squabbling.

This should have and could have been a thread were no Celtic & Rangers fans should have posted anything at all in it, why ?, it be nice for the fans of all the other clubs to post their recent encounters in real life with Celtic & Rangers fans. Their input could have been the best gauge to whether or not fans from both Celtic & Rangers were behaving better than usual or being worse than they were before.

But the thread is well ruined now ???, it became a shitfest for petty point scoring and mud slinging, shame really.

At first when I seen this thread appear that it might and could have been a decent thread, that is until the usual OF suspects hadn't started posting and then derailing and descending the thread into petty point scoring and squabbling.

This should have and could have been a thread were no Celtic & Rangers fans should have posted anything at all in it, why ?, it be nice for the fans of all the other clubs to post their recent encounters in real life with Celtic & Rangers fans. Their input could have been the best gauge to whether or not fans from both Celtic & Rangers were behaving better than usual or being worse than they were before.

But the thread is well ruined now ???, it became a shitfest for petty point scoring and mud slinging, shame really.

Eh .... It was posted in the rangers v celtic part of the thread

Eh .... It was posted in the rangers v celtic part of the thread

Hi FB young man,

Yes I know it got posted in the OF section as it was the only place it really could have been in in the first place. My general thoughts were even though the thread is in the OF forum it was one of the best threads that any fan other than OF fans could post their own opinions for all us OF fans to know their thoughts about our fans.

But alas young FB it was like a big bumhole that appeared ready and waiting to be abused at will, and quite rightly so got the treatment it merited.

It was a missed opportunity for all the other fans to tell us OF fans who were the worst offenders, real outcome was !, all through the thread the OF fans showed themselves up to be no better than the other.

Hi FB young man,

Yes I know it got posted in the OF section as it was the only place it really could have been in in the first place. My general thoughts were even though the thread is in the OF forum it was one of the best threads that any fan other than OF fans could post their own opinions for all us OF fans to know their thoughts about our fans.

But alas young FB it was like a big bumhole that appeared ready and waiting to be abused at will, and quite rightly so got the treatment it merited.

It was a missed opportunity for all the other fans to tell us OF fans who were the worst offenders, real outcome was !, all through the thread the OF fans showed themselves up to be no better than the other.

Even if more neutrals had commented on it the thread would be easy to predict how it would have went . some would give their reasons why they found rangers fans worse , others why they found celtic worse with some saying we are just as bad as each other all the whilst tit for tat arguements ongoing between rangers and celtic fans about songs , incidents and everything inbetween which has took place over the years . Pretty much how it panned out anyway . Also that has to be one of the most bizzare /creepy comparisons I have witnessed in the history of the internet.

The Football War - Episode 4:6 - Celtic vs. Rangers:

07:35 - Bennett

Hope he got his tooth back

Fucking hell I have seen one sided documentaries before but that was taking the biscuit , usual big bad Rangers whilst glorifying Bobby sands and being oblivious to the fact that Celtic fans around him are shouting up the Provos etc all the whilst interviewing convicted murderers and treating them like a bunch of jolly craicsters. Hope the baldy b*****d enjoyed his visit and watching his beloved hoops getting another beating at ibrox

Fucking hell I have seen one sided documentaries before but that was taking the biscuit , usual big bad Rangers whilst glorifying Bobby sands and being oblivious to the fact that Celtic fans around him are shouting up the Provos etc all the whilst interviewing convicted murderers and treating them like a bunch of jolly craicsters. Hope the baldy b*****d enjoyed his visit and watching his beloved hoops getting another beating at ibrox

At least you aren't annoyed by it :lol:

To be honest you get at least one of these outsiders taking in a Celtic/Rangers weekend and making a short film about itonce a year or so, they invariably seek out the more braindead in both supports to show the extreme nature of it all, I dont take it too seriously and watch it for the lolz, lets face it we both know nuggets like this in our own clubs following so its no real surprise that they find the camera for docu's like this.

Lets face it interviewing guys who say "I love the fixture and love getting it up them when we win but dont really bother with the sectarian stuff" wouldnt be good TV would it?

Guys like the roasters in this are gradually getting older and literally dying off, hopefully by the time we get to their age it will be a thing of days gone by.

To be honest I was more aghast at the nick of the guy trying to eat the deep fried mars bar supper and taking the fucking boak, genuinely laughed at that :D

Yeah on balance I'd tend to agree. Mine's anecdotal too and a bit generalising but something I've noticed down the years is that Celtic fans tend to be slightly more self policing. If you have a handful being arses, drunk or daft wee laddies they'll quite often be reined in, either explicitly or by being shunned.

Rangers (and presumably Sevco) fans on the other hand, don't really do this and standards tend to get pulled down to the lowest common denominator and carnage or real disgust often ensues. I suppose this is where the large-scale disorder sometimes came in as well because a few sensible heads might have nipped it in the bud.

I always remember a chat I had with my mates new girlfriend about 10 years ago. She was a die hard Rangers fan who played some form of instrument in one of those Orange Walk things.

Went along the lines of

Me "So Stevie has decided to go with a Rangers fan, quick shocked at that" (My mates a massive Celtic fan)

Her "Aye, am findin' oot that yous have pure hunners a great songs to sing at games an loads a normal songs, we only huv a few songs and theyr pure bigoted as f**k" (She was the definition of the bigoted orange walk Rangers ned)

That statement pretty much confirmed what I already knew!

I accept both have their mental bigoted element in equal messure but what i have always found is that the "normal fans" on the Rangers side are still extremely bigoted and hateful whereas I dont see that with Celtic fans.

Aye ok

• 4 weeks later...

To be fair to the OP, I've always thought Celtic fans were more closely resembling of humans than Sevco fans.

They're still scum on the whole of course.

• 5 months later...

being a foreigner living in Glasgow I think that's absolutely true.

I encountered about 5 or 6 times random racist abuse on streets. All bar 1 are from creepy guys with rangers tops/ trainning shirts on. Never had any problem with Celtic fans on that score.

Also I 've been to two hibs home games vs rangers last season and today. I enjoyed the victories on park, but had the misfortune to travel on train back to Glasgow with some rangers fans, their behaviours in general just like animals. let alone their 90 minutes routine of party songs and UJ and all that royalist shite.

Every country has its fair share of moron and pervert, "working class Tory/ Royalist" as they called (I think their ideology is dangerously close to neo-Nazi sometimes). Bascially I reckon folks at very low social status and not very bright themselves tend to be attracted by these kinda shite, that's the case in my country and Scotland anyway. I really hope one day all these rangers fans could magically just sod off to Northern Ireland and Scotland would be a much better place.

Archived