Queens v alloa

Good highlights.

Benedictus was lucky to avoid a yellow in the first half for the tackle on the edge of box. The one on Russell was a foul but not sure about a yellow and the one on Danny was a clear yellow at any other point in the game. The fact it's last minute shouldn't make the refs mind up for him. Don't think he can have too many complaints.

The one on Russell may not have been a yellow on its own merit, but he was clearly told no more after the one in the first half so it may have been for persistent fouling rather than the challenge itself. He knew as soon as he made the foul on Danny that he was away.

Good highlights, I like the addition of the substitution info, would it be feasible to add this in for each of them, even if you don't show it taking place (like motd do)?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Obviously you have not had a look at the facts. We went fifteen months there with Russell in the team and no pens. Contrast that with Falkirk and Loy.

Russell has won more free kicks including penalties over his career than Loy probably ever will.

Good highlights.

Benedictus was lucky to avoid a yellow in the first half for the tackle on the edge of box. The one on Russell was a foul but not sure about a yellow and the one on Danny was a clear yellow at any other point in the game. The fact it's last minute shouldn't make the refs mind up for him. Don't think he can have too many complaints.

I think the ref got all three decisions correct. Certainly the two yellows were justified.

Good highlights. Thanks.

Russell has won more free kicks including penalties over his career than Loy probably ever will.

I'd love to see the evidence given the conclusive nature of this statement. Russell has won 1 (one) penalty in his time with us. He does win a lot of soft free kicks though, he is a master at drawing the foul.

I'd love to see the evidence given the conclusive nature of this statement. Russell has won 1 (one) penalty in his time with us. He does win a lot of soft free kicks though, he is a master at drawing the foul.

Don't take it so seriously. Clearly none of us knows whether Russell or Loy will win more pens etc from diving over their careers.

It amuses me how often this "fact" about Russell having a bad reputation for diving is stated. Certainly in his time with us I'd struggle to recall once single instance of him diving. As DHD mentions above, he is indeed a master of the art of drawing a foul. That to me is clever play though, and far different from diving.

To be honest I'd struggle to name any opposition player in this division who I would consider having a reputation for diving. Liam Buchanan will have played against us several times over the years and has never stood out as a diver, likewise Loy. If JR is referring to the penalty he recently won against us then I'm afraid that doesn't fall into the dive category either. It was a clear foul, with the only controversy being whether it was actually in the box or not.

I think that if he does it's incorrect.

It was a widespread rumour when we signed him, that until this thread had died a death. Probably due to it being nonsense.

Russell usually draws the defender near, knocks the ball past him, but goes for the player instead, running into him and falling to the ground, no matter how minimal the contact.

^^Word salad, but you get the point.

Don't think it's too far-fetched to claim that it's diving/cheating. I'd be frustrated if he was doing it against us. He isn't though so it's all good :ph34r:

Most of the annoyance of opposing fans towards Russell is that he is effective player at this level and they wished he played for them. If he was poor he would hardly be mentioned. Like Cammy says , I have not seen much evidence of diving in his time with us . Certainly nothing like the reputation he seems to have . As for Loy, I hope our defenders are smart and don't leave a trailing leg anywhere near him in the box on Mar 6th. Close him down and stand him up. Don't give the ref any excuses to punish us.

Most of the annoyance of opposing fans towards Russell is that he is effective player at this level and they wished he played for them. If he was poor he would hardly be mentioned. Like Cammy says , I have not seen much evidence of diving in his time with us . Certainly nothing like the reputation he seems to have . As for Loy, I hope our defenders are smart and don't leave a trailing leg anywhere near him in the box on Mar 6th. Close him down and stand him up. Don't give the ref any excuses to punish us.

Depends on how you perceive diving. If you see it as jumping to the floor with no contact, then Russell doesn't dive. If you see diving as falling to the floor at minimal contact, or by trailing a leg or deliberately running into opponents, then Russell certainly dives, and has done so in his time with us. When he's on your team you see him as a smart player, when he's not, you see him as a cheating b*****d. I imagine it's the exact same with Loy.

Russell usually draws the defender near, knocks the ball past him, but goes for the player instead, running into him and falling to the ground, no matter how minimal the contact.

^^Word salad, but you get the point.

Don't think it's too far-fetched to claim that it's diving/cheating. I'd be frustrated if he was doing it against us. He isn't though so it's all good :ph34r:

If there's contact as you've stated, how can it be classed as diving?

We've seen plenty of times, soft penalties given for clumsy tackles where the contact is minimal. The fact is though that there WAS contact.

To put it simply - If there's contact, it ain't a dive.

We've seen plenty of times, soft penalties given for clumsy tackles where the contact is minimal. The fact is though that there WAS contact.

It's about exaggerating the amount of contact in a challenge. I brush past your arm with the faintest of touches, nowhere near enough to even put you off balance slightly, and you go hurtling to the ground clutching your face in agony, that isn't simulation or diving? Obviously this is hyperbole in the context of Russell, but to say there's no such thing as diving as long as there's minimal contact is absurd.

This seams to be the popular opinion amongst pundits, but is wrong. Exaggerating contact, initiating contact, and simulating contact are all simulation (or diving).

Most of the annoyance of opposing fans towards Russell is that he is effective player at this level and they wished he played for them.

I agree.

Russell has been a fantastic player over the years, and still is effective in a very good QotS team.

But leaving aside your opinion on whether any such reputation is justified, do you think he has that reputation, or not?

I'd say less people accuse him of it now than when he joined us.

Most pre-match threads featured at least one person telling us that we were guaranteed a penalty due to Russell being a cheat.

Presumably the accusations have stopped because they aren't true.

It's about exaggerating the amount of contact in a challenge. I brush past your arm with the faintest of touches, nowhere near enough to even put you off balance slightly, and you go hurtling to the ground clutching your face in agony, that isn't simulation or diving? Obviously this is hyperbole in the context of Russell, but to say there's no such thing as diving as long as there's minimal contact is absurd.

This seams to be the popular opinion amongst pundits, but is wrong. Exaggerating contact, initiating contact, and simulating contact are all simulation (or diving).

Clutching your face when no one has touched your face is an entirely different issue; which in 9/10 tends to be definite cheating!

I can appreciate what you both mean about initiating the contact, but I still refuse to call that "diving". When players get in behind the opposition back line they are taught (strikers in particular do it) to cut across the retreating defender, as any form of contact, accidental or not will likely result in a free-kick/penalty and likely a sending off for the defender. You see strikers taking longer strides and wanting to get clipped in these situations (not all or always, but I've seen it) for that very reason. Some may argue that it's cheating, but if the ref sees it as a foul how is it cheating?

Out of interest, if your team had a penalty claim waved away and you later saw a close up picture where the defender had indeed touched your player, would be content and class your player as a diver just because he went down 'a bit too easy' in your view? :)

Depends on how you perceive diving. If you see it as jumping to the floor with no contact, then Russell doesn't dive. If you see diving as falling to the floor at minimal contact, or by trailing a leg or deliberately running into opponents, then Russell certainly dives, and has done so in his time with us. When he's on your team you see him as a smart player, when he's not, you see him as a cheating b*****d. I imagine it's the exact same with Loy.

I get what you mean . On the other hand ,I have often said -when watching him - that he doesn't get free kicks awarded when he is genuinely brought down. A touch of the ' boy that cried wolf too often' and refs wary of his reputation.

Archived