7: Venice

8: Brisbane

9: Kyoto

10: Rio de Janeiro

11. San Sebastain

12. Seville

13. Sydney

14, Vancouver

http://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/edinburgh-voted-world-s-fourth-most-beautiful-city-1-3690016?utm_content=buffer9c45e&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy the banter and rivalry but been to Edinburgh a few times in the last year after one of my best pals started going to uni there and had a good laugh . Bouncers also seem more chilled in Edinburgh and incredibly found the student population I met less pretentious than yer west end Glasgow ones, plus Easter road and tynecastle are mostly decent away days or were till this season ... :(

The only way Rome and Kyoto could get anywhere near a list like that is if undue emphasis is being placed on historic monuments. For all around liveability Toronto and Montreal should feature prominently.

Only if undue emphasis is given to the waiving of absolutely brutal winters and freezing rain in the consideration of "all round liveability".

I don't know who comes out with these stats - is this the 4th best city to live in or to visit?

To visit it would be amazing with the castle and all the other sites you can see and there is constant activity around town and a lot going on especially in August

Would say it was a good place to live as well but probably much like every other city out there once you get used to it all. I would say the people are generally stand off ish and live up to that reputation, plus the jakies are far less endearing than those in Glasgow

Only if undue emphasis is given to the waiving of absolutely brutal winters and freezing rain in the consideration of "all round liveability".

Suspect Vancouver was the only Canadian city to feature because of that line of reasoning. I'd sooner have a Toronto/Montreal winter than a Scottish one and I've experienced both. Once the weather gets solidly below zero and the snow starts to make a crunching sound beneath your feet, all your usual winter colds/flu sort of stuff stops happening and there's plenty you can do outside. If you dress appropriately, anything down to -10 celsius or so really doesn't seem all that cold or miserable when compared to a wet windy day walking through slush in Scotland. In the Windsor-Quebec corridor you seldom get the drastically cold temperatures that genuinely can make life difficult for people on the Prairies.

Archived