Celtic v The Famous Aberdeen

I have a feeling your response to strategy and tactics for Aberdeen is to hoof players and constantly bring them in from further afield. The longest unbeaten run for decades, and that wasn't even with an optimal back four - who was between the sticks for it? The main thing we've needed for a number of years now is a half decent LB and Shinnie provides that by coming in from the start of next season. We've made some intelligent signings, and ones for the most part that we've actually needed without being frivolous. Looking for a goalkeeper less than a year after signing one is by no means a priority whatsoever.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a feeling your response to strategy and tactics for Aberdeen is to hoof players and constantly bring them in from further afield. The longest unbeaten run for decades, and that wasn't even with an optimal back four - who was between the sticks for it? The main thing we've needed for a number of years now is a half decent LB and Shinnie provides that by coming in from the start of next season. We've made some intelligent signings, and ones for the most part that we've actually needed without being frivolous. Looking for a goalkeeper less than a year after signing one is by no means a priority whatsoever.

Far from it, Certainly never been a fan of constantaly punting players but standing still is going backwards.

We have a chance here to push on and be a side constantly in the hunt for trophies.

As I said Im okay with Brown, he is decent and after all the years having to watch Langfield through the cracks in my fingers, Its great having a goalkeeper your pretty comfortable with.

Say he gets suspended or god forbid, a long term injury. Then what?, Langfield again?, sorry but having a couple of decent keepers pushing each other is important.

Far from it, Certainly never been a fan of constantaly punting players but standing still is going backwards.

We have a chance here to push on and be a side constantly in the hunt for trophies.

Which is exactly what we're doing. Care to elaborate on how we are 'going backwards' after being active in this transfer window, filling positions we've needed to fill and getting back to scoring goals?

Heaven forbid that Brown gets injured and our backup is nowhere near the worst in the league. You are looking for problems that don't exist.

Which is exactly what we're doing. Care to elaborate on how we are 'going backwards' after being active in this transfer window, filling positions we've needed to fill and getting back to scoring goals?

Heaven forbid that Brown gets injured and our backup is nowhere near the worst in the league. You are looking for problems that don't exist.

I didnt say we are "going backwards", I said that by if we stand still then thats what will happen, by that I mean that if we dont look to be vigilant with regards possible signing targets and keep evolving the squad then its a possibility.

I dont think that will happen, Im delighted with Dereks record in the transfer market up to now and Im confident that will continue to be the case.

Like you said, left back was the priority and that looks to be have been sorted with the signing of Shinnie, so whats next?, probably Goalkeeper is our next weakest area but its nothing urgent.

so whats next?

A manager who is active in the transfer window getting the needed players and then immediately thinks "what's next" is obviously not a good manager.

Saying that not signing players for, oh, less than three months is indicative of a slope towards "standing still" is risible.

A manager who is active in the transfer window getting the needed players and then immediately thinks "what's next" is obviously not a good manager.

Saying that not signing players for, oh, less than three months is indicative of a slope towards "standing still" is risible.

Eh?, so he gets nearer the summer and thinks about what??, his holidays or maybe if there is anyone who can improve the squad the following season.

See if you can understand this cause you seem to be struggling, Ive not said we are standing still, I said if we dont look to improve the squad then thats what will happen.

Do i think it will?, No I am confident it wont.

Okay?, you managing to understand that.

I thought Aberdeen were pretty poor in Sept when Celtic were vulnerable but they didn't take advantage on the day.

At Pittodrie we got a fortunate win and but for that late goal the league table would look a little different.

Celtic can't under estimate the importance of this game because Aberdeen are well ahead of the rest of the SPL clubs that will ensure they win the bulk of their remaining game. With Celtic still to go to Aberdeen I would be content with a draw on Sunday.

Eh?, so he gets nearer the summer and thinks about what??, his holidays or maybe if there is anyone who can improve the squad the following season.

See if you can understand this cause you seem to be struggling, Ive not said we are standing still, I said if we dont look to improve the squad then thats what will happen.

Do i think it will?, No I am confident it wont.

Okay?, you managing to understand that.

Again, like all your posts, there's a lot of bluster but little actual content.

Your first contention was that "standing still is going backwards". What this inferred within the context was that the definition of "standing still" = not signing more players. There hasn't been an expansion or definition to actually make this point; additionally, it's curious to bring something like that up if you believe it's not happening. Apparently, a goalkeeper who has kept 11 clean sheets in 13 needs some sort of additional 'test' from the benches, in a position already filled by the team and after an estimated 300k+ has been spent on a new player. I claim this to be frivolous and wasteful. You've done nothing to change that claim aside from:

"Like you said, left back was the priority and that looks to be have been sorted with the signing of Shinnie, so whats next?"

I find it interesting that you're already going on about new players about four weeks after we've just signed on some. This is not, as you claim, "evolving the squad", but looking for problems that don't actually exist, and wanting to plug them by signings a) in addition to what we've already got, and b) some months after we've just declared ourselves to be in rude health financially. There is little sense in doing this.

"Nearer the summer" has nothing to do with it, considering that we're a few weeks past the transfer window and you're giving this chat about Scott Brown, who apparently is "capable of putting in a decent performance", yet thinking the manager "may be having a look at the position in the summer". This is, as I'll say again, 11 clean sheets in 13. Forgive me if I believe you are, like your opinion on Flood, speaking utter pish.

Only one speaking pish here appears to be you, according to you a manager who is thinking on how he can improve his squad is in your own words "not a good manager", we appear to be the perfect team in your head despite the fact that League Cup apart last year we are still to really achieve anything of consequence.

I merely stated that Goalkeeper may be a position that is looked at because at the moment it could be considered to be an area that we are weak in.

If you genuinely believe Langfield to be an able deputy then I'm afraid you have a urine/mouth problem.

People have opinions,if you dont agree with them then fine but simply claiming I'm talking pish is not going to stop me from having my own.

I'm sure you will retort with some piece of additional nonsense as you appear to be incapable of understanding that other people may not share your views.

Also, if you're confident about not "standing still" then why even bring it up?

I wanted to, I am allowed to do so am I not.

You asked me to explain my position further and this is what I did.

I used it to explain why I felt Goalkeeper might be a position that McInnes was looking at.

When people explain things, they tend to give an example or a reference as to why they feel that way.

I wanted to, I am allowed to do so am I not.

You asked me to explain my position further and this is what I did.

I used it to explain why I felt Goalkeeper might be a position that McInnes was looking at.

When people explain things, they tend to give an example or a reference as to why they feel that way.

Are you going to derail every Aberdeen thread with this pish?

Only one speaking pish here appears to be you, according to you a manager who is thinking on how he can improve his squad is in your own words "not a good manager", we appear to be the perfect team in your head despite the fact that League Cup apart last year we are still to really achieve anything of consequence.

Despite the first trophy this club has seen in almost 20 years and cementing ourselves in second, sounds like not achieving anything to me.

Yet again, you trip over your own words. I really was trying to help you, putting it in bold, but you seem to be oblivious to it. I never said, and please quote me, where I said that a manager looking to improve the squad isn't a good one. You'll find that I warned against a manager who immediately after completing two significant signings takes a "what's next" approach to signings rather than to the actual squad he's got. Runnig a team is not about constantly signing players, and it's laughable you are immediately trying to look for weakness to justify this fantasy.

I merely stated that Goalkeeper may be a position that is looked at because at the moment it could be considered to be an area that we are weak in.

If you genuinely believe Langfield to be an able deputy then I'm afraid you have a urine/mouth problem.

Could you tell me who would consider 11 clean sheets in 13 to be "an area we are weak in"?

His distribution is woeful but he is an effective shot stopper. Like I said, far from the worst in the league.

People have opinions,if you dont agree with them then fine but simply claiming I'm talking pish is not going to stop me from having my own.

I'm sure you will retort with some piece of additional nonsense as you appear to be incapable of understanding that other people may not share your views.

Most of our fans on here carry reasoned arguments as to their decisions. I may disagree with them, but that's the sport of it. When you come on here and spend 30 posts whining about your so-called "freedom of speech infringements" and intolerable language I'm not particularly going to look at you in the same eyes as other dons fans on here, who tend to post to a high standard without any of the histrionics.

It's all lined up to be a cracking game. There was not much in either of the previous meetings and we've certainly been on a roll since then.

That said, our defence is still worrying me. I'm not convinced by Brown and the centre half pairing have only played a couple of games together.

All we need to do is defend on our half way line and we'll be fine. :lol:

Really looking forward to this and hopefully we can make those arrogant twats on here look a bit 'sheepish'.

A league Cup and 2nd in the League?, wow world beating stuff.

Sorry but as a Dons fan who wants to win things, Im looking for a bit more than that.

Yes its a huge improvement than the dire Craig Brown era but at the moment thats all it is.

If you are happy settling for where we are at the moment, then thats your call.

I just reckon this is a massive opportunity for Aberdeen to kick on and win things, debt free, good manager, sizeable support and a healthy squad is a good base to start from.

We are nowhere near the finished article and every good team should always be looking at ways their squad can improve, this dosent have to be just signing players, better training facilities,sports science, etc.

A manager who is active in the transfer window and then immediately thinks whats next is not a good manager.

These were your own words, I disagree, you cant ever just settle with what you have.

Because if that Keeper who has kept 11 clean sheets out of 13 in the league is injured we have no replacement, Clangers is awful, we all know this.

The position of Goalkeeper within a squad refers to more than just who is the current Goalkeeper within the first team Yes?, therefore we are weakest there.

What you think of matters not a jot to me, if your such a precious frilly knickers that you get upset at some colourful language then thats your issue.

Archived