Ross County vs Dundee

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't be surprised if Dundee are looking at him given the two roastings he's given Harris, but I'll put it down to the typical Dundee bullshitting when a player has a good game against them, for now.

Rumple's post on the DFC site is excellent as always, it captures the tone of the match and generally my train of thought on it too. I'll just add the following:

It looks as if there's a mis-edit in there about the shot that hit the post. It was a superb save by Bain to touch it onto the post, I don't think enough has been said about it. From my position in the west stand, I had a near-parallel view of the shot curling inside the far post, but Bain's hand flicks the bobbling shot about half a foot up onto the outside of the post. I thought he had a good game and it was a very good save against Boyd too, because Boyd couldn't have put the shot anywhere else apart from into the roof of the net. I do think he could have been closer to his line for the goal, but it's obvious why he wants to narrow the angle. Other than that it was a flawless performance.

Dundee played the first half in a 4-3-3, with Thomson the free man at the back of midfield. McGinn and McAlister were up against Woods and Irvine most of the time. I thought Dundee could have done much more with Thomson's ability to switch the play, I only remember Harris getting goal-side of Reckord once in the first half. Thomson only played one ball behind the full-backs, a chipped pass behind Fraser for Stewart. I think the reason for Thomson not being as influential as he could was because of County's directness and relentlessly high tempo. With Harkins such a waste of a lump up front, County squeezed the back line up to half-way quite a lot and that reduced the space for Dundee's midfield to do much with. A diagonal ball to Harris on the right seemed the obvious thing to do but it never happened.

When Wighton came on they instantly went to a 4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1 shape but it was more of a flat midfield four to match County's. I was worried about the amount of space that Wighton would get to dribble at the centre of defence as the game would get more stretched, but if I remember he only got to do that once, very early on in the second half.

Even after the goal and the substitutions, the pace of the game was frantic. I thought that Kiss coming on for a forward would have meant that he would sit in front of the defence to draw the tempo out of the match, but he moved up further forward to play in a 4-4-1-1 too. I was fraught with worry by watching it because it would only take a loose ball for Harkins or Wighton to have a chance from 20 yards, but thankfully it didn't materialise.

I thought Curran was excellent, he's really showed his worth in the last two or three games. For a wee guy he handles himself brilliantly, he fights for everything and wins more than his fair share of headers. The way he gathers the ball into his chest and re-distributes it to the wide areas does the team a lot of favours. Curran or Arquin up front? There's no question who I would rather have. He needs to be careful though, another ref would have given a red for that arm that went across Konrad's face (who milked a couple of challenges, but he's entitled to). He flies into challenges and only has to be late once to get sent off.

On SH's comment on the goal, it was Harris who tried to track Reckord back but after Reckord took off there was no chance of Harris getting goal-side.

I would agree with most of BB's post. I think Curran does need to be careful with some challenges but I thought he was unlucky to be booked. He shielded the ball coming into him Konrad tried to Nick in front of him but ran into his arm.

I would agree with most of BB's post. I think Curran does need to be careful with some challenges but I thought he was unlucky to be booked. He shielded the ball coming into him Konrad tried to Nick in front of him but ran into his arm.

I was convinced he was going to get another yellow, he seems like the type who is easily wound up by the opposition.

Rumple's post on the DFC site is excellent as always, it captures the tone of the match and generally my train of thought on it too. I'll just add the following:

It looks as if there's a mis-edit in there about the shot that hit the post. It was a superb save by Bain to touch it onto the post, I don't think enough has been said about it. From my position in the west stand, I had a near-parallel view of the shot curling inside the far post, but Bain's hand flicks the bobbling shot about half a foot up onto the outside of the post. I thought he had a good game and it was a very good save against Boyd too, because Boyd couldn't have put the shot anywhere else apart from into the roof of the net. I do think he could have been closer to his line for the goal, but it's obvious why he wants to narrow the angle. Other than that it was a flawless performance

I thought some County fans might take a huff at my portrayal of their win as being less than stylish, but it actually reflected the tone of Michael Gardyne's press interview I overhead while I was writing the report. His comments were all about hard work and playing for a job next season. County's performance was everything that Motherwell's performance wasn't last week. Well were pathetically passive. County were in Dundee's face from the start, and right up our nostrils after half time. It wasn't pretty, but it was exactly what you need when you're at the bottom.

The Bain save from Irvine was an odd case. I was in line with the shot and it was going in. Then a couple of players moved across my line of sight and the ball was coming off the post. I thought the only way it could have hit the post was Bain touching it, which is what I wrote in my report initially. Later last night someone told me Bain hadn't touched it. I made a hurried edit first thing this morning and botched it. I corrected it after seeing your post. I should just have trusted my initial judgement. I try to get the reports online as quickly as possible, often before I've had a chance to hear any interviews never mind see TV pictures so I freely admit I make mistakes, which I try to clear up later.

I was convinced he was going to get another yellow, he seems like the type who is easily wound up by the opposition.

There was a funny exchange between Curran and McIntyre after his booking. McIntyre had shouted about something that Curran had failed to do. Curran screamed back in irate Scouse that he was on a yellow card and needed to watch it. Or words to that effect.

He had a tackle not long after the yellow and I thought "oh no ", but he did tone it down a wee bit after that.

Have to agree with Capital_stag that for me the yellow was for an accidental contact. Curran lifted his arms to jump and to shield, but not to banjo Konrad in the pus. That was merely a bonus.

Have to agree with Capital_stag that for me the yellow was for an accidental contact. Curran lifted his arms to jump and to shield, but not to banjo Konrad in the pus. That was merely a bonus.

There were several incidents like that. It was just that sort of game. The physios got plenty of exercise.

Would agree that the yellow wasn't actually a yellow! He did go into a tackle not long after that a lot more enthusiastically than I thought he might though :-)!

What a difference in our team from start of the season.

The first quarter of the season we were playing some good stuff and we very good to watch. Now we are absolutely brutal can hardly string a couple of passes together.

Yes we have been on a decent run up until Saturday but the performances have brutal. If we play like that in next 5 games we will be lucky to pick up a point.

It has still been a very good season and I know we have a lot of injuries but our team is crying out for a bit of pace to get in behind teams. It's frightening how one paced we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

What a difference in our team from start of the season.

The first quarter of the season we were playing some good stuff and we very good to watch. Now we are absolutely brutal can hardly string a couple of passes together.

Yes we have been on a decent run up until Saturday but the performances have brutal. If we play like that in next 5 games we will be lucky to pick up a point.

It has still been a very good season and I know we have a lot of injuries but our team is crying out for a bit of pace to get in behind teams. It's frightening how one paced we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril mobile app

Oh boo hoo.

Sent from my cave using carrier pigeon.

Archived