The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

The midterms made it impossible for him to achieve anything on the domestic front. His second term foreign policy - Kerry's State Department work - was exceptional.

He didn't want to compromise with Republicans on anything. Bill Clinton got multiple signature achievements through a Republican Congress post 1994, even while they were trying to kick him out of office. But Clinton was a not a radical like Obama.

1 minute ago, Deplorable said:

One interesting thing about British people is how seriously they focus on Westboro Baptist Church and Alex Jones as if they are representative mascots of America. :lol:

We don't remotely think they are, but while Trump had Roger Stone as an advisor and he keeps retweeting Infowars, and he hires the boss of Breitbart as his campaign chief, you have to take them a little bit seriously.

5 minutes ago, DigOutYourSoul said:

Is there any suggestion at the moment that this is even going to be close?

I would suggest that it doesn't really matter how much Clinton wins by, it's going to be the aftermath of what Trump attempts to do that will drag on for a bit. It will be a game changer for America, and will be a good thing in the long run for America. A situation like this can never happen again.

Just now, Deplorable said:

One interesting thing about British people is how seriously they focus on Westboro Baptist Church and Alex Jones as if they are representative mascots of America. :lol:

One interesting thing about Rangers fans. Regardless of what rock they crawl out under, you can be certain that they'll be full of bitter hatred and seethe with racist, fascist and sectarian views. Everything that a despicable character like Donald Trump encapsulates.

Deplorable indeed.

Just now, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I would suggest that it doesn't really matter how much Clinton wins by, it's going to be the aftermath of what Trump attempts to do that will drag on for a bit. It will be a game changer for America, and will be a good thing in the long run for America. A situation like this can never happen again.

You mean like how Hitler was a good thing for Germany, because history will never repeat itself? :unsure2:

Donald Trump has gone all in on the Alex Jones demographic. He's basically targeted them.

2 minutes ago, Musketeer Gripweed said:

I'm hoping a big message from the Sanders and Trump campaigns (forgetting all the racist nonsense from Trump) will be that the wealthy cannot keep ripping off the average worker as they have done for the last 20 years, especially since 2008. Static wages for workers and huge tax payer bailouts for bankers etc, along with big average pay rises for top management cannot continue.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Donald Trump has gone all in on the Alex Jones demographic. He's basically targeted them.

There is no Alex Jones demographic. I've literally never met anybody who listened to him for anything other than a wind up, as you folks put it. I've never heard him interviewed anywhere where the interviewer was taking him seriously.

4 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm hoping a big message from the Sanders and Trump campaigns (forgetting all the racist nonsense from Trump) will be that the wealthy cannot keep ripping off the average worker as they have done for the last 20 years, especially since 2008. Static wages for workers and huge tax payer bailouts for bankers etc, along with big average pay rises for top management cannot continue.

There's nothing to be done about that as long as we have free trade and mass low skilled immigration. It's economics.

5 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm hoping a big message from the Sanders and Trump campaigns (forgetting all the racist nonsense from Trump) will be that the wealthy cannot keep ripping off the average worker as they have done for the last 20 years, 

The lesson from Trumps campaign is that you can blame minorities for all your woes and not have to reveal an actual economic plan. 

2 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

There is no Alex Jones demographic. I've literally never met anybody who listened to him for anything other than a wind up, as you folks put it. I've never heard him interviewed anywhere where the interviewer was taking him seriously.

There's nothing to be done about that as long as we have free trade and mass low skilled immigration. It's economics.

No. It's Trump economics.

A system that we're told is the only "workable" system by the very people who benefit the most from it.

Just now, Deplorable said:

I doubt protectionism is the answer, never has been before. Never mind slashing taxes for the wealthy and saying the US might not honour its debts, Atlantic City style.

1 minute ago, Poo said:

No. It's Trump economics.

A system that we're told is the only "workable" system by the very people who benefit the most from it.

You deny that free trade and mass low skilled immigration results in a transfer of wealth from the large middle to the top? You deny that most economic gains from our post Cold War neo-liberal model have accumulated at the top? That's the Clinton economic system.

30 minutes ago, Deplorable said:

24 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

We don't remotely think they are, but while Trump had Roger Stone as an advisor and he keeps retweeting Infowars, and he hires the boss of Breitbart as his campaign chief, you have to take them a little bit seriously.

You've been a bit quiet on this.

Do you know why places like Panda Express hire so many Latinos? No one wants to work there.
The arse would fall out of the US economy if you stopped low skilled immigration.

Do you really think a white 'merican would work in 35 degree heat howking onions out the ground for $5 an hour?
He'd want $15 at least, 401K contributions, a health plan, personal days...

Get real.

9 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I doubt protectionism is the answer, never has been before. Never mind slashing taxes for the wealthy and saying the US might not honour its debts, Atlantic City style.

The US became the worlds greatest economic power through protectionism.

The rise of China and Japan was not based on free access to their markets.

Archived