The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

2 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Bollocks.

I really don't anything wrong with that statement, pretty hard to name a government that hasn't put their own personal interests before the people they are there to serve? Its just more obvious with the US, Big money invest in candidates in order to get favors later. Robin William's summed it up perfectly when he said that when Elections are taking place the candidates should wear sponsors on their clothes like in F1 racing, that way you know what they are really gonna be interested in when they come to power. The very nature of politics corrupts. One of the reason's so many praise the SNP is that as far as we know they have only put ahead the interests of the people. But if something came out tomorrow showing a SNP MP was corrupt i wouldnt be surprised. 

Look at George Osborn during the whole Google Tax deal, he negotiated a pathetic settlement for a massive sum of unpaid tax, tax google could easily pay because they are one of the most wealthy companies in the world, mere weeks later Osborn was in the US at some sporting event which was paid for by Google. To pretend there isn't corruption is just simply being blind,

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really don't anything wrong with that statement, pretty hard to name a government that hasn't put their own personal interests before the people they are there to serve? Its just more obvious with the US, Big money invest in candidates in order to get favors later. Robin William's summed it up perfectly when he said that when Elections are taking place the candidates should wear sponsors on their clothes like in F1 racing, that way you know what they are really gonna be interested in when they come to power. The very nature of politics corrupts. One of the reason's so many praise the SNP is that as far as we know they have only put ahead the interests of the people. But if something came out tomorrow showing a SNP MP was corrupt i wouldnt be surprised. 

Look at George Osborn during the whole Google Tax deal, he negotiated a pathetic settlement for a massive sum of unpaid tax, tax google could easily pay because they are one of the most wealthy companies in the world, mere weeks later Osborn was in the US at some sporting event which was paid for by Google. To pretend there isn't corruption is just simply being blind,

No it was his Trump going to look after the 80% bit.

The irony of Trump's platitudes from the Trump Ballroom in whatever Trump Hotel never fails to amuse me.

The only person Trump looks after is Donald Trump.

1 minute ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

No it was his Trump going to look after the 80% bit.

The irony of Trump's platitudes from the Trump Ballroom in whatever Trump Hotel never fails to amuse me.

The only person Trump looks after is Donald Trump.

One of my favourite bits about this is how trump has played himself as an outsider as he campaigns with the republican party and selects a 12 year congressman to be his vp,anti establishment ism to its finest by trump

There will always has and I'm sure always will (although there are some obvious steps that coiuld be taken to reign it in a smidfe) be corruption in politics. If anyone thinks/ever thought the SNP are completely immune from it, they're pretty thick.

Regardless of that being the case, there quite clearly are distinctions to be made between the options in pretty much all elections and the "polticians are all evil duuuude" set are a tiresome bunch of gimps. Even in the worst case scenario when it's just to pick the lesser evil, the folk who think they are just brilliantly insightful for railing against poltiics and not voting/voting for the least polticiany politician, need to grow up.

2 minutes ago, Alan Stubbs said:

There will always has and I'm sure always will (although there are some obvious steps that coiuld be taken to reign it in a smidfe) be corruption in politics. If anyone thinks/ever thought the SNP are completely immune from it, they're pretty thick.

Regardless of that being the case, there quite clear is distinctions to be made between the options in pretty much all elections and the "polticians are all evil duuuude" set are a tiresome bunch of gimps. Even in the worst case scenario when it's just to pick the lesser evil, the folk who think they're just brilliant for railing against poltiics and not voting/voting for the least polticiany politician need to grow up.

Youtuber i listen to refused to vote in the US elections because he couldn't bring himself to put his name against either Trump or Clinton and refused to vote for a 3rd party because it would be a waste of time. That attitude of not picking a 3rd party is really not helping, thats how America ended up with its broken 2 party system. 

2 hours ago, jmothecat said:

Unlike most people on here I like Clinton a lot, and if I were American would vote for her happily, not simply because she's better than the alternative. The fact the alternative is so utterly deplorable just makes that an even easier decision.

Me too. I keep trying to get Trumpets to explain why she's a corrupt liar but they come up with f**k all. If the loony right keep saying the same thing enough people start believing it. Post truth celebrity politics. She's probably the most investigated politician on the planet, and the Republicans have come up with zilch.

10 hours ago, Deplorable said:

The great Pennsylvanian Ben Franklin famously asked in colonial times: "Why should the Palatine Boors be suffered to swarm into our settlements, and by herding together establish their languages and manners to the exclusion of ours? Why should Pennsylvania, founded by the English, become a colony of Aliens, who will shortly be so numerous as to Germanize us instead of our Anglifying them?"

Thankfully the French and Indian War intruded on the German mass immigration, it was stopped for about 80 years until the middle 19th century when the Germans came again, and they were Anglicized rather than the Americans being Germanized. Now we face the same question with the Hispanics.

357006.jpg?b64lines=IEltbWlnZ2FudHMhIEkg

Archived