The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

So long as it involved consenting adults what fucking business is it of yours what people do. 

Of course it's none of my business. But your argument was that people have no choice over whether to practice homosexuality or not. By that reasoning, heterosexuals have no choice on how they behave sexually.

Just now, milhouse said:

Your argument was that people have no choice 

Incorrect, my argument is that consenting adults should have little state over sight into their sexual lives. 

However while the headbanging fucknuts of the Christian right claim they are able to "cure" gayness it is not a thing that needs to be "cured". Whether it is a learned or inherited behaviour is not really relevant. Its a normal human behaviour that only bigoted fucknuts have an issue with. 

1 minute ago, dorlomin said:

Incorrect, my argument is that consenting adults should have little state over sight into their sexual lives. 

However while the headbanging fucknuts of the Christian right claim they are able to "cure" gayness it is not a thing that needs to be "cured". Whether it is a learned or inherited behaviour is not really relevant. Its a normal human behaviour that only bigoted fucknuts have an issue with. 

By that reasoning, someone attracted to others of the same sex has no right not to practice homosexuality.

A normal human behaviour, according to all research practiced by less than 4% of the population, as has been mentioned previously.

10 minutes ago, milhouse said:

By that reasoning, someone attracted to others of the same sex has no right not to practice homosexuality.

A normal human behaviour, according to all research practiced by less than 4% of the population, as has been mentioned previously.

Being a bit of a thicko you have confused "normal" with "majority". 

831000 people in Engalnd and Wales participate in Golf in England and Wales. This is normal but not majority. 

When you have a substantive point, scribble it in on your quill and send the missive to us in the 21st century from whatever part of the 18th century you are still living in. 

Which Donald Trump will we get, the lying huckster playing to worst prejudices and fears of the electorate, or this one? 

1. Donald Trump on Universal Healthcare: “Everybody’s got to be covered, this is an un-Republican thing I’m going to say, I’m going to take care of everybody.”

When asked, ‘Who pays for it?’ Trump flatly replied, “the government’s going to pay for it.”
— CBS, “60 Minutes,” 9/27/2015  

2. Donald Trump on taxing the rich: “Well, basically, this would be a one-time tax, 14.25 percent against people with a net worth of over 10 million […] It would pay off in its entirety the national debt of $5.7 trillion, and you’d save $200 billion a year. So taxes for the middle class would go way down, the estate and inheritance tax totally wiped out, and the Social Security system would be saved.”
— NBC, “Good Morning America,” 11/10/1999

3. Donald Trump on whether he’s a Democrat or a Republican: “In many cases, I probably identify more as Democrat.”
— CNN, “The Situation Room,” 3/21/2004

4. Donald Trump on guns and background checks: “I generally oppose gun control, but I support the ban on assault weapons and I also support a slightly longer waiting period to purchase a gun. With today’s internet technology we should be able to tell within 72 hours if a potential gun owner has a record.”
— Donald Trump, “The America We Deserve,” 2000

5. Donald Trump on quitting the GOP: “I really believe Republicans are just too crazy […] I mean, hey, I lived in New York City, Manhattan all my life, okay? So my views are a little bit different than if I lived in Iowa, perhaps.”
— NBC, “Meet the Press,” 10/1999

6. Donald Trump on abortion: “I’m very pro-choice. I am pro-choice in every respect.”
— NBC, “Meet the Press,” 10/1999

7. Donald Trump on who’s the most qualified to make a nuclear deal with Iran: “Hillary Clinton. Hillary’s always surrounded herself with very good people, I think Hillary would do a good job.”
CNN, “The Situation Room,” 9/24/2007

8. Donald Trump on impeaching George W. Bush: “I’m very impressed by her [then-House Speaker Nancy Pelosi], she’s a very impressive person. I like her a lot. She was going to really look to impeach Bush, and get him out of office, which, personally, I think would have been a wonderful thing.”
CNN, “The Situation Room,” 9/24/2007

9. Donald Trump on Obama’s economic stimulus: “I thought he did a terrific job […] I thought he was strong and smart, and it looks like we have somebody that knows what he is doing finally in office, and he did inherit a tremendous problem. He really stepped into a mess, Greta [Van Susteren].
Fox News, 2/9/2009

10. Donald Trump on the Democrats’ economic policies: “It just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats than the Republicans. Now, it shouldn’t be that way. But if you go back, I mean it just seems that the economy does better under the Democrats. …But certainly we had some very good economies under Democrats, as well as Republicans. But we’ve had some pretty bad disasters under the Republicans.”
— CNN, “The Situation Room,” 3/21/2004

11. Donald Trump on immigration and the DREAM Act: “For people that have been here for years, that have been hard workers, have good jobs, are supporting a family, it’s very, very tough to just say ‘you have to leave, get out.’ How do you throw someone out that’s lived in this country for 20 years, you just can’t throw everybody out.”
— Fox News, June 18, 2012.

I'm much more relaxed about Trump than I was when I was just reading this thread and listening to his soundbites. It's the people he'll surround himself with that will worry me.

He may well be a c**t. He may well be a c**t with shite ideological views - I don't necessarily think that's true - I think he's a major attention seeker more than anything.

He's a very successful businessman at the end of the day and if that's to the benefit of the US then great as it should have a decent effect on us.

If not - I can only hope the short term damage he does over the next 4 years is superceded by the lesson the US will receive by him being president for the next 4 years.

He's an egotistical c**t but that's not new in American politics.

6 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'm much more relaxed about Trump than I was when I was just reading this thread and listening to his soundbites. It's the people he'll surround himself with that will worry me.

He may well be a c**t. He may well be a c**t with shite ideological views - I don't necessarily think that's true - I think he's a major attention seeker more than anything.

He's a very successful businessman at the end of the day and if that's to the benefit of the US then great as it should have a decent effect on us.

If not - I can only hope the short term damage he does over the next 4 years is superceded by the lesson the US will receive by him being president for the next 4 years.

He's an egotistical c**t but that's not new in American politics.

Being a successful businessman and being a successful politician are 2 very different things. Trump only knows how to do things that serve his own personal interests. He'd sell America to the highest bidder if he could.

1 hour ago, WaffenThinMint said:

What about them? The National Health Interview Survey of 2014 put their numbers at under 4% of the total population. Even in "gay" California it only amounts to 4% of their total population. They're of about as much statistical relevance as the Contract Bridge playing lobby when it comes to election time - & anyone that ever thought they'd all vote in some monolithic block on gay issues over the same basic economic ones which determines most people's electoral choices was living in dreamland anyway.

If this really were a 'rebellion of the marginalised/vulnerable/left-behind', as I have read and heard it being billed, I would have expected Trump to perform (considerably) better amongst more marginalised/vulnerable/left-behind groups than just poorer white voters, regardless of the percentage of the electorate that they constitute (over 90% of black women voted for Clinton, for example, from the polling figures I've seen). If this is a rebellion of the "working-class white" or the insecure white vote, and if there is enough evidence to indicate that it is, then we might be better calling it that. As I said in my first post, merely labelling it as a 'rebellion of the marginalised', or whatever, is just too simplistic and generalised. As for your other stuff about gay people not voting as a monolithic block, I didn't say they did and I don't disagree with it.

6 hours ago, jmothecat said:

They got more of the popular vote than any other party. Like I say, I voted for AV and support electoral change as I dislike the system, but the party with the largest share of the vote governing isn't as problematic as the person who won the popular vote not becoming president.

It also misses the crucial point I was attempting to make which is that the Republicans have only won the popular vote in a presidential election once out of the past six elections.

Edit: apart from anything else did Ed not support AV?

It's like saying Leicester had a problem last season because they almost always had less possession than their opponents.

The first 2 results on Google this morning for "how to" fills with "move to Canada" and "impeach a president".

For Brexit it was "what is Brexit" :1eye

How to what is Brexit?

Archived