The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

I generally agree with your final sentence, but using that image to show hypocrisy on the Trump side when the Clinton side have been going on about Trump not accepting the result for months is... er, hypocritical.

This isn't good guys vs. bad guys. Both sides are hypocritical, liars and evidently completely intolerant of the opposites views, and indeed intolerant of democracy when it doesn't go their way. To me that makes neither side bigger "bawbags" than the other.

1. it was Trump who said he wouldn't accept the result if he lost, and said several times that the election was rigged. If Clinton's side targeted him for that, its because that's what he said. That series of Tweets is laughably contradictory. I never liked the Eagles anyway.

2. Even in relativist terms, a war mongering, racist, homophobic and atavistic shower of blowhards versus a significantly less war mongering, less racist, less homophobic and less atavistic bunch of blowhards can still be seen as bad guys vs slightly better guys.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Paco said:

I generally agree with your final sentence, but using that image to show hypocrisy on the Trump side when the Clinton side have been going on about Trump not accepting the result for months is... er, hypocritical.

Not hypocritical at all, Trump said he wouldn't accept it, which is different from a bunch of ordinary people protesting an election result.  He's the presidential candidate, ffs.

9 minutes ago, Baxter Parp said:

Not hypocritical at all, Trump said he wouldn't accept it, which is different from a bunch of ordinary people protesting an election result.  He's the presidential candidate, ffs.

Lying bellend, he said he'd wait and see. There were plenty of dodgy incidents in the last few weeks of the election and on election day to make this a not unreasonable stance.

As it happens, he won regardless :lol:

3 minutes ago, banana said:

Lying bellend, he said he'd wait and see. There were plenty of dodgy incidents in the last few weeks of the election and on election day to make this a not unreasonable stance.

As it happens, he won regardless :lol:

f**k off twat.

Donald Trump: 'I will totally accept' election results 'if I win'

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/20/politics/donald-trump-i-will-totally-accept-election-results-if-i-win/

Which means he won't if he loses. There were no dodgy incidents whatsoever, you lying c**t.

Think people made a bit too much of that. Al Gore set the precedent of contesting a very close result that all boiled down to the infamous hanging chads in south Florida. Think that was probably the sort of scenario that Trump wanted to leave open. Plenty of reasons to still be very concerned about Donald J but I don't think that's one of them.

6 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think people made a bit too much of that. Al Gore set the precedent of contesting a very close result that all boiled down to the infamous hanging chads in south Florida. Think that was probably the sort of scenario that Trump wanted to leave open. Plenty of reasons to still be very concerned about Donald J but I don't think that's one of them.

That's very charitable of you considering the outrageous nonsense he was saying all campaign.

I dont honestly think Trump believed that the election was physically being rigged in Clinton's favour, rather he was whipping up the more demented of the cockwombles that support him to ensure he got his vote out.  He probably does believe the media were against, as a lot were, but if you say racist, fascist, misogynistic things, people are probably going to call you a racist, fascist, misogynist.

39 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

1. it was Trump who said he wouldn't accept the result if he lost, and said several times that the election was rigged. If Clinton's side targeted him for that, its because that's what he said. That series of Tweets is laughably contradictory. I never liked the Eagles anyway.

2. Even in relativist terms, a war mongering, racist, homophobic and atavistic shower of blowhards versus a significantly less war mongering, less racist, less homophobic and less atavistic bunch of blowhards can still be seen as bad guys vs slightly better guys.

1. You could argue (I probably wouldn't) he was proven correct about many aspects of the election being rigged - polls, media, etc. Of course the ballot box clearly wasn't and he implied it might be. There's no doubt that some of the same people hysterically reacting to Trump's comment in that final debate though are now rioting because democracy went against them. Much like the loony in the Tweets was the opposite. Ergo, much the same. 

2. I would take issue with one side being "significantly less warmongering". Clinton is the definition of a warmonger, Trump has no track record (and using his own words, he was for Iraq, against Iraq, doesn't want involved in Iraq/Afghanistan/Libya, but would "bomb the hell" out of ISIS so who the f**k knows where he's at, really). The rest obviously can't be contested but while the Democratic Party have painstakingly tried to include everyone, in reality they fight for pretty much no-one. Much like the Labour Party I don't think anyone knows what they actually stand for, other than getting power. So if they're the good guys, we really are fucked.

In fairness, Al Gore didn't contest that result. He should have fine, perhaps, but he decided that seeing the election decided in the courts or, even worse, by the electoral committee in Florida, he decided not to challenge.

Like I said, this was bad guys vs slightly less bad guys, and the slightly worse guys won.

In fairness, Al Gore didn't contest that result. He should have fine, perhaps, but he decided that seeing the election decided in the courts or, even worse, by the electoral committee in Florida, he decided not to challenge.

Like I said, this was bad guys vs slightly less bad guys, and the slightly worse guys won.

It was essentially decided in the courts though, was it not?

Gore appealed to the Florida Supreme Court who ruled that there should be a manual recount of all undervotes in the entire state of Florida, before the US Supreme Court essentially ruled it unconstitutional a few days later and since the certification deadline had passed, essentially awarded the presidency to Bush?

1 hour ago, banana said:

Cw-5mMGWEAAzgu1.jpg

Holy fucking shit :unsure2:

Bat shit mental.  Self-pitying, self-promoting, at-least-somebody-loves-me millennial nonsense.  Just as bad is the twitter feed of one Sady Doyle.  If you haven't seen it, it's basically a one-woman campaign to prove the right wing "the worst thing to be is a white straight male" campaign correct.  I have no idea who she is, but she has 20,000 followers and a blue tick.

Archived