The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Yup.  Interesting article. Under all the bluster he focused on the concerns of a lot of citizens. The media shot down anyone backing him and thus the polls were miles out as a lot of people waited until they were in the polling stations before expressing their opinion.

The left have to learn to debate and not just ridicule those with an opposing view.  Not all people who voted for trump are racist as with brexit. 

On a seoerate note I see Trump is now planning to keep parts of Obamacare for people with preexisting medical conditions and children staying at home. 

11 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

On a seoerate note I see Trump is now planning to keep parts of Obamacare for people with preexisting medical conditions and children staying at home. 

And what about the cancer sufferers of tomorrow? Their medical conditions won't be "preexisting". Many will be too ill to work and pay for vital medical care.

Read between the lines.

16 minutes ago, Poo said:

And what about the cancer sufferers of tomorrow? Their medical conditions won't be "preexisting". Many will be too ill to work and pay for vital medical care.

Read between the lines.

I was just stating a fact. I never said I agreed with it.

27 minutes ago, Poo said:

Read between the lines.

He's talking about making it illegal to refuse cover because of preexisting conditions. They couldn't cancel a policy when you develop cancer, that's the whole point of insurance.

He's talking about making it illegal to refuse cover because of preexisting conditions. They couldn't cancel a policy when you develop cancer, that's the whole point of insurance.

A proposal which Obama made early in the Obamacare programme and the Republicans rejected, I believe.

Just now, Savage Henry said:

A proposal which Obama made early in the Obamacare programme and the Republicans rejected, I believe.

I thought that was a big part of the Act and the reason why insurance companies are pulling out, as it's not economically viable without federal support, which the Republicans blocked. Something to do with the Public Option whatever that is. Ideally the risk would be spread across the whole population with payment graded on ability to pay, i.e. a National Health Service. Much simpler and more efficient but ideological anathema to Republicans for some reason. It would be wonderful if somebody convinced Trump that that would be the way to go. Scenes!

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

So people voted for Trump because "transgender restrooms". Essentially a story about a Republican legislature trying to change the law for transgender people. 

Lots of whiny special pleading articles like this that its all about their special interest. The same basic story has followed nearly every US election where Republicans have done well since the 60s where "spoilt college kids" "protesting", "taking our country back". The big broad picture is the left won the culture wars, huge changes in attitudes towards race, sexuality and gender. The culture wars were a largely religious fight back against the liberalisation of society. 

The left largely lost the economic arguments and with huge irony that is one of the key reasons Trump won, he ran against the prevailing dogma of both the Republicans and the Democrats on issues like trade. This was the usual reaction to the move towards a more progressive society teamed up with a reaction to the post cold war economic trajectory. Trumps populist isolationist economic message is going to have an interesting time against the legislature totally in the back pocket of the big donors. 

Also one off big electoral swings are often used to herald "new dawns" here in the UK, US everywhere. Only if Trump can sustain his polling will there be any real deep lasting effect. He has a lot of contradictory circles to square in his presidency. I suggest his polling will not look so cheery in a year or so. 

30 minutes ago, MarkoRaj said:

Normally think this guy is a bit of a fud but he's generally pretty spot on here imo

I've been telling yous half of this for two fucking years and the other half over the last 6 months :lol:

<cue fud joke etc>

5 hours ago, Consolidate said:

Now furiously rowing back on the proposed repeal of Obamacare. Not going to go down well with the Republican faithful.

To be fair, he's actually been (as much as is possible for Donald Trump) consistent on Obamacare since the start of the process when speaking himself (his campaign come out with much more extreme stuff though). He always said that he felt the pre-existing conditions part and being on parents healthcare was a positive thing but mentioned some vague reform to it that would retain all the nice parts and remove all the bad parts (never explaining how).

I imagine that it'll just remain how it is but they'll try to remove it as Obama's legacy. Trumpcare.

It's because these heavy far left nut jobs(im left leaning myself but these fuckers take the piss) Absolutely cant stand it when someone disagree's with their point of view or they dont get their own way. They cant contemplate the concept of someone having a difference of opinion. They claim to be open and accepting of everyone, but if you are a white male with a different opinion you are literally Hitler in their eyes. They lost, its not the end of the world, get over it. 

Looooool. There's nothing remotely "far left" about Lena Dunham.

He made himself known by being the mainstream version of Alex Jones. Now that Jones is essentially a mainstream voice it's only natural Beck reimagines himself as a Reasonable Republican.

Archived