The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

People were showing up in droves to see Sanders campaign, Clinton could barely fill a high school gym. 

I just think Sanders would have been hammered over his tax and immigration policies which weren't really examined in the Primaries. Letters going to every voter in the swing states lying about how much it would cost them to vote Democrat.

36 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Yeah so its the Trump supporters who were the racist ones

I'm sure the Australian electorate would be absolutely gutted if she decided to stay at home and pay the 20 dollar fine or whatever it is Australians get if they don't vote. It's the lashing out of another smug, sneering individual who genuinely can't seem to comprehend that not everyone shares their world view. 

A fairly as expected reaction from many of the usual suspects - utter denialism about why this has happened and cry-wanking over a few "encouraging" signs like young people voting for Clinton. The usual blame the elctorate card being played also because they're sexist/racist or whatever and have no idea what they're talking about. Unsurprisingly, insulting the voters didn't work and when they got to the ballot box, they could do what they wanted without anyone knowing about it or being there to abuse them for their choice; the power of this should never be underestimated. 

That Jonathan Pie clip is a rare moment where I've seen a viral video and am more or less in complete agreement. 

57 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

If Marine le Pen's FN gets in to power in France I wonder if folk on here will try to justify/excuse that too.

Calm down, m9; she's probably not serious. The French will probably vote her in just for the lulz - what could possibly go wrong?

It never fails to surprise/amuse/depress me that the main lesson some liberals draw from a momentous defeat is to become more apologetic and meek, rather than to stand up and shout louder. Refresh the message and change the messenger(s), by all means, but to become weaker is precisely the wrong lesson to learn. I have an ominous feeling that we are creeping slowly but surely towards normalising Trump and his discourse, but that probably started much longer ago than I wish to recall. I suppose that is easier than the alternative.

Many different articles/videos being posted on this thread, I know, but this is worthwhile reading: http://www2.nybooks.com/daily/s3/nov/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival.html.

The normalisation of far right politics is almost complete. Boris the bozo furiously backtracking over Trump when he was (for once in his life) right the 1st time, the guy is utterly mad and unfit for office, Le Pen being invited onto the tv on Remembrance Sunday, I assume Mussolini's grand-daughter had a prior engagement, and Farage being given a platform at every opportunity.

Liberalism is ill served by liberals. They seem to lack the spine to defend the principles they espouse and the Left is badly disoriented and marginalised. We are in for a bumpy ride over the next few years.

33 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

It never fails to surprise/amuse/depress me that the main lesson some liberals draw from a momentous defeat is to become more apologetic and meek, rather than to stand up and shout louder. Refresh the message and change the messenger(s), by all means, but to become weaker is precisely the wrong lesson to learn. I have an ominous feeling that we are creeping slowly but surely towards normalising Trump and his discourse, but that probably started much longer ago than I wish to recall. I suppose that is easier than the alternative.

Many different articles/videos being posted on this thread, I know, but this is worthwhile reading: http://www2.nybooks.com/daily/s3/nov/10/trump-election-autocracy-rules-for-survival.html.

Trump and his ilk have opened up this huge political and social chasm and some/many liberals are suggesting that it's our job to be conciliatory and try to meet these people halfway.  If we don't expose racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and misogynistic for what it is then we're legitimising that bigotry.

23 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Trump and his ilk have opened up this huge political and social chasm and some/many liberals are suggesting that it's our job to be conciliatory and try to meet these people halfway.  If we don't expose racism, sexism, homophobia, xenophobia and misogynistic for what it is then we're legitimising that bigotry.

Have to agree. Don't want to be too melodramatic but imo we are on a potentially very dangerous path here.

Archived