The 2016 US Presidential Election

Adamski

2 hours ago, ayrmad said:

It wasn't a Christmas greeting commonly used in Ayr & Prestwick when I was growing up, it was brought in here because they didn't want to offend those who until then hadn't shown any signs of being offended, no doubt the bible thumpers in SAC, of which there appears to have been quite a few over the years, felt it didn't really fit in with their perception/knowledge/view of their religion. 

These days, right, if you say you're English you get arrested and thrown in jail. 

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ayrmad said:

It wasn't a Christmas greeting commonly used in Ayr & Prestwick when I was growing up, it was brought in here because they didn't want to offend those who until then hadn't shown any signs of being offended, no doubt the bible thumpers in SAC, of which there appears to have been quite a few over the years, felt it didn't really fit in with their perception/knowledge/view of their religion. 

God, you are serious. South Ayrshire Council brought in the commonly-used for generations, Victorian phrase "Season's Greetings" in order to avoid mentioning Christmas, and offending the sensibilities of...someone.

Please, use your anger to start a campaign to highlight this issue. People need to know.

2 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

By the time of the next election, assuming Trump lasts until then, it will be interesting to see the response of those who fell for the "Make America Great Again" bullshit.

Those who voted for him because he was a racist, sexist, xenophobic misogynist will probably forgive him; those that voted for him despite these traits may be less forgiving.

I was wondering that myself. I'm guessing that a good round of blame-the-foreigners should be enough to distract from his lack of interest in improving life for non-millionaires, and get him across the line in 2020.

Meanwhile, his businesses will be going gangbusters. He might not even need to declare bankruptcy again; imagine that.

25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

We need more sarcasm re the political correctness or otherwise of the Victorians IMO

Decorating a pine tree instead of an olive tree for Christmas is typical of the white supremacist Victorians who always portrayed Jesus as a  Northern European.

5 hours ago, Fat Joe da Gangsta said:

Anyone know much about this guy Jonathan Pie?  Just seen this video now and never heard of him. It's a bit ott but making the same point I mentioned on one of the other Trump threads.

Johnathan Pie is not a real person, its a comedy/satire character. He is played by an actor called  Tom Walker

5 minutes ago, dorlomin said:

Johnathan Pie is not a real person, its a comedy/satire character. He is played by an actor called  Tom Walker

What was that supposed to be a satire of? Is it worth checking out more of his material? I always enjoy Last Week Tonight, going to check out the Stephen Colbert programme. 

When I worked in London we were told as teachers specifically not to use the word Christmas at all. The accepted phrase was "Winter Festival".

The bizarre thing was that the people who objected most to Christmas were not other religions but Christian groups - Seventh Day Adventists being the main objectors - they don't celebrate any religious festivals seeing the Sabbath as being the only holy day.

What was that supposed to be a satire of? Is it worth checking out more of his material? I always enjoy Last Week Tonight, going to check out the Stephen Colbert programme. 

Really dislike John Oliver, but I have a lot of time for Colbert.

52 minutes ago, THE KING said:

I don't believe that.

Find it hard to believe too, they would've been slaughtered for it. It's pronounced Chris Mass anyway, Christianity doesn't appear at all unless you go to Church or take a nativity scene seriously. Bacchus and Mammon are the Gods of Christmas. Not sure who Chris is.

7 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

In Wandsworth.

Mind you that is almost 20 years ago.

The inner London councils were pretty-much run by nutters in the 80s/90s.  When I lived in Shoreditch from about 1984-1990 when you emerged from Old Street tube heading towards Shoreditch High Street there'd  be signs saying something like, "Welcome to Hackney.  You are now entering a nuclear-free zone".

Archived