Kilmarnock v basement side St Mirren

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Full time 1-0

Sore one definitely. Second half was much the same as the first. We started it brighter, they ended it brighter. Difference being they scored at the end of their bright period.

I didn't understand the sub of Dayton around 70 minutes, felt he was one of our better players. Maybe he picked up a knock... If he didn't it's pretty baffling. From that point on we lost our way.

Last 10 minutes we dropped deeper and deeper to hold on for the point, and the goal we conceded was coming.

At least County and Well never won, so the damage isn't as bad as it could have been. We play both of them twice before the end of the season, for us it's clearly going to come down to the results in those 4 games.

Got the team news through as I was nearly at Rugby Park, and the thought of having Slater and Eremenko as the midfield two, with Barbour or O'Hara at left back gave me the fear. The first 15-20 minutes that fear was vindicated with St Mirren exploiting the brittleness of our central midfield, although they never really created many clear cut chances. After that we grew into the game without really creating much ourselves.

In the second half St Mirren just didn't turn up. They were absolutely hopeless, and the fact that Dayton barely did anything against a right back who was playing at left back was bizarre. When Sadlier came on he had Barbour on toast, but JD's only chance was created when Barbour was covering in the middle of the park. Think it would be hard to argue that Killie deserved the winner when it came, as we were the only team looking to make something happen rather than just play long-balls to Thompson. Don't get me wrong, we love a long ball to Magennis at times too, but we also created far more especially through Chris Johnston who was absolutely phenomenal today. Glad that Lee Miller got the goal, and hopefully he grabs a few more before the end of the season.

The absolute sickener for St Mirren and their fans though should be that they played half an hour against a Killie team with Paul Cairney in central midfield... And offered nothing against it. It's clear that we're just a better team than St Mirren, and in the end that showed. Really enjoyed the battle between Magennis and Goodwin, and you can tell that the two of them enjoyed it too. A good old fashioned duel that the ref let happen. Magennis might be a w****r, but he's a w****r who'll be playing Premiership football next season 8) Saints could have done with someone like him in their team...

Ratings for me: Samson (6), Barbour (5), Ashcroft (7), Pascali (7), O'Hara ( 8 ), Slater (7), Eremenko (5), Obadeyi (2), Johnston (9), Magennis (6), Eccleston (6). Subs: Cairney (6), Miller (6), Kiltie (3).

I'm going to miss our trips to Paisley. Our new year game is going to end up being bloody Hamilton next season, and no one wants to see that.

If St Mirren do go down, and Rangers somehow manage to gain promotion ( :lol: ) I'm sure you'd play us. I'd much prefer Killie as a New Year game, but that would mean Rangers are back in the league, so f**k that shit.

Thommo is done. Should have been subbed.

Said the same to my mates at the game. Looks absolutely done.

For all the stick he gets from your supporters, having Magennis in your team to push the attacking line further up and actually do some running would have been a far better prospect than Thompson. Sad from a Scottish football perspective to see as he's a guy everyone has a respect for I think.

Archived