Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C. vs Celtic F.C. // SC Semi Final

Talking about endless replays I have just watched the incident again. To me it looks clearly as though Meekings went to head the ball and missed the ball then caught him on the trailing arm, which was obviously raised for balance.

Apology owed to Josh by me. I really thought he had gotten off with jiggery pokery. I hope he works on his heading before the final.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Except they aren't. The vice president's views are of no consequence whatsoever. Vice President is a purely decorative role. And of course, FIFA were similarly outraged when the SFA decided to take retrospective action against divers, back in the day.

Is being Head of Referees a purely decorative role also?

Is being Head of Referees a purely decorative role also?

Don't bite. He's just a bitter wee soul terrified in case ICT turn up and play a match in the Scottish Cup final.

It must still hurt that 100 million Ross C*unty fans turned up at Hampden and their team never.

I've knicked this shamelessly from Kingsmills on CTO. He and I never agree about anything but this is spot on (his figures might be a bit oot but you'll catch his drift):

"Professional football has been played now for 153 years. It has been routinely televised for half a century. FIFA have 209 national associations as members. Something in excess of ten million professional football matches have taken place over the last century and a half.

In over fifteen million hours of play never before in the history of the World has an allegation of handball been dealt with retrospectively.

If the Compliance Officer can explain to me what is so very different about the second semi final of the 2015 William Hill Scottish Cup from the over ten million matches that went before it then I might just be prepared to accept that there is a case to answer....

What a complete and utter straw man argument that is.

Retrospective decision making is a fairly new thing, and most of those FIFA associations probably don't have legislation for them. Also, the Scottish FA don't have much control over the punishments dished out to players in the Equatorial Guinean 2nd Division.

What we're actually interested in is the number of matches played under the jurisdiction of the SFA since the current set of rules came in, and where sufficient technology was available to make the correct decision.

Because it doesn't have to be intentional by any dictionary definition of intent. A guy can have absolutely no intent to handle to ball but it can still be "deliberate". A player with his hands in an un-natural position and his back turned to the ball, for example.

That said, it's a moot point because Meekings clearly meant to handle the ball, and should have been sent off for deliberate handball. He really doesn't have much of a case, other than an emotional one.

You very rarely see a player wilfully handle the ball, but this was a case. It seems to me that the kerfuffle is because it's a handball and not a violent foul that retrospective action is being taken , thus it's less important. Did Meekings cheat? Yes. Was it deliberate? Yes. Did it effect the result? Yes. Did the referee see it? No.

That right? Aye?

Bit of a cop out by the SFA.

Clearly should have been banned from final as was a obvious sending off that was missed.

Lucky boy.

Judicial panel found he had not deliberately stopped an obvious goal scoring opportunity.

Archived