Inverness Caledonian Thistle F.C. vs Celtic F.C. // SC Semi Final

There is no way that it was a deliberate handball. If it was he must have been hoping it would hit his hand as he wasn't looking at his hand or the ball at the time.

Therefore it should have been a penalty as Meekings definitely stopped the ball crossing the line but he certainly shouldn't have been sent off! I think any reasonable person would acknowledge this.

So he should therefore win his appeal, shouldn't he? :unsure2:

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no way that it was a deliberate handball. If it was he must have been hoping it would hit his hand as he wasn't looking at his hand or the ball at the time.

Therefore it should have been a penalty as Meekings definitely stopped the ball crossing the line but he certainly shouldn't have been sent off! I think any reasonable person would acknowledge this.

Another who does not understand the hand ball rule. For a hand ball to be a foul it MUST be deliberate. If he did not mean it then no foul. Simple.

I believe he will, and should.

Another who does not understand the hand ball rule. For a hand ball to be a foul it MUST be deliberate. If he did not mean it then no foul. Simple.

It's my opinion, I know the rule which I think is just wrong.

But to be deliberate they count arm in an unnatural position - that's the FIFA markers is it not?

His arm was in an unnatural position.

I would argue it was too close for him to react though - but I don't know how that comes into the rule.

But to be deliberate they count arm in an unnatural position - that's the FIFA markers is it not?

His arm was in an unnatural position.

I would argue it was too close for him to react though - but I don't know how that comes into the rule.

There are no FIFA markers. Just different association's advice to referees. Look up law 12. I think it is law 12.

So what is 'deliberate' handball?

In Fifa's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)".

Page 67 of the document gives "additional information for referees, assistant referees and fourth officials".

It adds: "Referees are reminded that deliberately handling the ball is normally punished only by a direct free-kick or penalty kick if the offence occurred inside the penalty area.

"A caution or dismissal is not normally required."

There are no FIFA markers. Just different association's advice to referees. Look up law 12. I think it is law 12.

So what is 'deliberate' handball?

In Fifa's Laws of the Game 2005, Law 12 says a free-kick or penalty will be awarded if a player "handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)".

Page 67 of the document gives "additional information for referees, assistant referees and fourth officials".

It adds: "Referees are reminded that deliberately handling the ball is normally punished only by a direct free-kick or penalty kick if the offence occurred inside the penalty area.

"A caution or dismissal is not normally required."

But the SFA have markers which include 'arm in an unnatural position'?

That has to be part of the rules somewhere.

With regards to the "not seen" aspect, I've just seen it again on the news, and I find it very difficult to believe that the official on the goal line hasn't seen it.

He actually moves across to get a better view just before Griffiths heads it!

Instead of having 2 goal line ref assistants we should have video referees similar to Rugby League games to review incidents like this.

Instead of having 2 goal line ref assistants we should have video referees similar to Rugby League games to review incidents like this.

Or perhaps just let the Green Brigade referee all Celtic matches.......

Why would it be a penalty at all if it was ball played man.

If we're going to give forwards penalties for driving the ball against players hands then that's all forwards are going to do.

Why would it be a penalty at all if it was ball played man.

If we're going to give forwards penalties for driving the ball against players hands then that's all forwards are going to do.

I find it astonishing that so many cannot get their heads around this fairly straightforward rule regarding intent.

Archived