World Cup 2018 Qualifying

12 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Parolo and Bonaventura playing instead of him? Total shite. Also Belotti should be playing instead of Pelle

Florenzi - Bonaventura - De Rossi - Verratti - De Sciglio

Belotti - Immobile

I'd have started with that. When Montolivo went off I'd have had Verratti on his place, too, as much as I like Bonaventura.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Italy will happy with that, not playing too well and Buffon making a mistake yet still getting a point. Some horrific play though and the diving, rolling around, surrounding the official etc was just depressing. Even the penalty decision which was pretty clear cut had the Spain players surround the ref and linesman for several minutes after the award. I think Verratti was either injured or suspended though? I'm sure he wasn't available for one reason or another. 

12 minutes ago, sureiknow said:

When it's not your own  country yes.

Then again .........

Actually I half watched the first half of Wales game then turned to Blue Jays baseball ALCS game. If i'm really bored I might watch home nations games but not too bothered if I miss them.

Thought Italy deserved that point. For all Spain's dominance, they only had 3 shots on target all game and 1 of those was the goal laid on a plate for them. Italy were brutal for about 70 minutes, but dug in and the Immobile sub gave them a route back in.

Don't think a draw is a huge surprise given that both teams have formiddable unbeaten runs in qualifying; 10 years for Italy and 23 for Spain!

Thought Italy deserved that point. For all Spain's dominance, they only had 3 shots on target all game and 1 of those was the goal laid on a plate for them. Italy were brutal for about 70 minutes, but dug in and the Immobile sub gave them a route back in.

Don't think a draw is a huge surprise given that both teams have formiddable unbeaten runs in qualifying; 10 years for Italy and 23 for Spain!

Did Spain not lose to Slovakia last campaign?

5 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

Did Spain not lose to Slovakia last campaign?

They did indeed. I've mistyped that stat. It's 23 years without a defeat in World Cup qualifying for Spain.

Italy's 10 year unbeaten run is spread over 52 games in both World Cup and Euros qualifiers. Their last defeat was to France in 2006 when they were in that group with ourselves.

Watched the last 60 minutes of the Irish game yesterday. They were absolutely awful but once again got their fluky goal, with 3 deflections falling for Coleman. A very poor outfit who barely strung 3 passes together. Robbie Brady will be a big miss for them in Moldova, as he is one of their few players capable of creating quality moments.

Georgia played some nice stuff, unlucky to hit the woodwork twice in one move in the first half, but no cutting edge at all in the second half.

Archived