World Cup 2018 Qualifying

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

Egypt qualify!

They must have one of the most bizarre records in international football. Seven times African Champions (and runners up twice), and yet they've only ever been to 2 World Cups. And one of those was back in 1934.

I keep forgetting about their World Cup record. Won three African Nations back-to-back a wee while ago, and were considered to be far and away the best side in Africa, but still couldn't buy themselves a ticket to the main event. Hopefully they're good enough to cause some problems in Russia.

Seems like their keeper will likely beat the oldest player record next summer too.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Introduction of a pyramid system has really helped them, tbf.

anigif_enhanced-7844-1451883565-2.gif

Am I right in saying two draws between Wales-Ireland and Croatia-Ukraine will see Slovakia in the playoffs? Win for either in both will push them to 9th best? 

Edit - or draw in either will get Slovakia  in actually won't it? 

15 minutes ago, Christophe said:

Am I right in saying two draws between Wales-Ireland and Croatia-Ukraine will see Slovakia in the playoffs? Win for either in both will push them to 9th best? 

You are forgetting about Group H.

Yeah, you’re right. Basically the Wales - Ireland and Ukraine - Croatia games are playoffs to see who gets into the playoffs. Winners of both games sees them through to the next stage at Slovakia’s expense. Two draws will see Slovakia through with Wales .

After tonight’s defeat (and against Germany), I think Norn Ireland will have scuppered their chance of being seeded. I’m sure both Sweden and Denmark will now jump ahead of them when the next world rankings are issued next week.

1 hour ago, The Nightfly said:

It should be possible - don't Champions League group matches always kick-off at the same time?

The last ones do if there's something riding on them both. The games have all been staggered for tv but by coincidence the Wales and Croatia games happen simultaneously.

7 hours ago, Donathan said:

Croatia have sacked their manager ahead of playing Ukraine

Normally you'd think that was a mad decision, but their results recently have been really poor. The draw with Finland the other night was bad, but they've also struggled to a late 1-0 win at home to Kosovo, lost in Turkey and Iceland, even lost 3-0 in a friendly to Estonia earlier in the year.

10 hours ago, The Nightfly said:

It should be possible - don't Champions League group matches always kick-off at the same time?

They don't, no - they're spread out over 2 days (plus over 2 kickoff times each day in EL and in CL from next season).

He's talking about every final game in every group finishing simultaneously, i.e. 27 games.

strange behaviour playing at the city stadium - would surely have pulled in 50k plus at the millennium; I imagine, though, that with the combined IQ's of both football and policing authorities involved, and local government as the ultimate embodiement of fuckwittery and an absence of common sense, that a last minute change of venue when the importance of the game became apparent was always going to be utterly incomprehensible to all concerned; let's hope that there are loads of furious, ticketless fans from  both countries, though - that'll be moderately pleasing

suppose it's the opposite of the English FA and their self-inflicted contractual obligations to play anything and everything at wembley until 2074 or whenevr it is, when brentford or harrow borough would be more appropriate for the standard of football served up, not to mention beaing easier to get in to and away from...

Archived