World Cup 2018 Qualifying

I see Syria are through to the next round. There's a potential 'fairytale' right there.

Few years ago it was Iraq that provided this role. Maybe having a civil war would improve Scotland's qualification chances?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Few years ago it was Iraq that provided this role. Maybe having a civil war would improve Scotland's qualification chances?

So we're agreed? No referendum next time, but a full blown civil war?

This news doesn't surprise me. Based on reports I've heard they have quite an explosive attack and they play every game like it might be their last.

On that Bombshell, former world cup "winners" the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have been knocked out.

USA v. Guatemala on now. We lost to them four days ago for the first time in almost 30 years. ESPN says if we win we have a 90% chance of advancing to the next round and if we lose we have a 10% chance.

After this match is the 2nd home leg for U23 Olympic qualifying against Columbia. 1-1 in first Columbia leg.

Jesus, these Columbians are world class divers. Been going on all match. Just got one of our guys red carded after their guy provoked physical contact first and then dived. A few minutes later another of their guys was stretchered off after a clear dive. He blew kisses to the crowd as they booed.

Probably not a big surprise given that they have been horseshit for about a decade, but Brazil are sitting outside the CONCACAF qualification spots after 6 matches.  Their only wins have come against Venezuela and Peru at home.  Their next double header is massive - they're away to Ecuador and then at home to Colombia.  Ecuador haven't lost a home qualifier since 2009, and have only lost 3 since 2000.

Imagine the scenes if Brazil fail to qualify. FIFA scrambling round to organise some sort of additional inter continental play off or introducing a "guest" spot at the Finals.

On that Bombshell, former world cup "winners" the Democratic People's Republic of Korea have GLORIOUSLY TRIUMPHED IN THE NAME OF THE EXALTED LEADER.

FTFY.

Looks like Bahrain thoroughly shat the bed in that group.

Anyone else finding FIFA's website thoroughly annoying to navigate these days? I swear it used to be a lot easier to look through the qualifiers and see what was going on.

Edit: got to wait until June 24th for the final draw in Africa. 'mon the Cape Verde.

Clearly no very good but they should still qualify no bother tbh.

I'm not sure.  Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Uruguay all seem like better teams, and Ecuador have that ludicrous home record which generally pushes them over the line.

I'm not sure.  Argentina, Chile, Colombia and Uruguay all seem like better teams, and Ecuador have that ludicrous home record which generally pushes them over the line.

At least it gives us someone to point and laugh at when we fail to qualify.

Probably not a big surprise given that they have been horseshit for about a decade, but Brazil are sitting outside the CONCACAF qualification spots after 6 matches. Their only wins have come against Venezuela and Peru at home. Their next double header is massive - they're away to Ecuador and then at home to Colombia. Ecuador haven't lost a home qualifier since 2009, and have only lost 3 since 2000.

You're such a stickler for detail that it would be wrong of me not to point out that Brazil play in COMNEBOL, not CONCACAF.

• 2 weeks later...

Asian groups for final qualifying round announced today. Group A - South Korea, Iran, Uzbekistan, China, Syria & Qatar. Group B - Australia, Japan, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Iraq & Thailand. Top 2 of each group qualify for Russia. Third placed in both groups have 2 Leg play-off. Winner of play-off then meets 4th place side from CONCACAF. Group A looks like should be easy for Korea & Iran. Group B will be Japan and should be Australia but they can be utter shite away in the Middle East. Games start in September.

Archived