Partick Thistle v. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

Out of interest did those saying BRE coming on was the right move think doing the same thing with Liam Lindsay in the Hibs game at Easter Road last season where we conceded a late goal was the right move too? Granted in that game the 3 central defenders were Muirhead, Gabby and Lindsay so it's not an exact comparison.

I wasn't so convinced, I thought that like that Hibs game bringing on another central defender to play 5 at the back invites pressure and it didn't look like something that had been worked on in training with BRE and Balatoni both going for the same ball a couple of times which could've been costly. It wasn't and we're all delighted with the 3 points but I suspect it's a change that could've been slaughtered if Inverness done to us what has happened so often in the last couple of seasons when we're trying to hold onto a single goal lead.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What did Bannigan do?

And was it Stevenson with the jumping/scissor challenge during the 2nd half? It looked really bad from the North Stand, but he didn't even get a yellow and the Caley players didn't seem too bothered, so maybe we were just seeing things.

What did Bannigan do?

And was it Stevenson with the jumping/scissor challenge during the 2nd half? It looked really bad from the North Stand, but he didn't even get a yellow and the Caley players didn't seem too bothered, so maybe we were just seeing things.

Bannigan just before half time nearly halfed an Inverness player who was breaking at the half way line and just missed him. The ref had a word with him as they were walking off at half time.

I think it's on Alba tonight so should get a better view than from the North Stand but it looked bad.

What did Bannigan do?

Don't remember the Bannigan one either.

Thought the same about Stevenson, from the NS it looked like a 2 footed lunge but watching the highlights he just kind of drops on his arse and hooks his foot in front of their player and got the ball.

I was surprised Bannigan never got booked even though he missed him, and if he'd connected it was almost certainly a red given the force, but the ref was letting pretty much everything slide for both teams, the boy that hauled Bannigan back was as clear a booking as you'll see, as was the ICT's #19's dive in the box.

Still haven't quite got my head round the Alba highlights being on at the same time as sportscene.

Can't quite figure out why Ofere was left out of our starting line up. Watkins has been a great signing for us but unfortunately he's neither an out and out striker nor a target man.

And why was Brill on the bench. Is he Number 2 now?

Can't quite figure out why Ofere was left out of the starting line up. Watkins has been a great signing for us but unfortunately he's neither an out and out striker nor a target man.

And why was Brill was on the bench. Is he Number 2 now?

I was surprised not to see him start, and very surprised that he wasn't brought on earlier. The first sub was Kink for Christie; Kink went into right-central midfield and was never seen again. Doran did look a bit livelier when he came on, but it would have made more sense to have Ofere on at the same time to provide Doran with a target. In the end, Ofere only got about 5 minutes, when we were chasing the game.

Personally I'd like to see Hughes revert to a more traditional 4-4-2, with Watkins and Doran functioning as wingers, Ofere as a target man with one of Christie, Williams and Ross off him (all three have generally done well since the turn of the year, but I think we can look a little narrow and a little lightweight when they all start), Tansey and Draper in the middle, and our usual first choice back four. If Doran doesn't look up to it then either Ross or Williams could arguably play that position, but if we're going to hurt opponents then we need to start taking them on more directly in the final third.

ETA - I assumed Brill was on the bench because he maybe isn't quite 100% yet. While Esson has deputised well, Brill's distribution and command of his area are both a bit better, and I'd be surprised if Hughes didn't consider him his clear Number 1.

I heard Yogi Hughes talk up Partick Thistle before the game and I thought 'Oh God here we go again'. No disrespect to Partick Thistle, but if they were that good they would be up battling Aberdeen for 2nd.

At least we won't be playing them again this season, we have more chance picking up points against Celtic.

:lol: Everytime we play Thistle in the league its Happy Partick Thistle Day. :rolleyes::lol:

Still Yogi is right most of the time, can't complain about the bigger picture.

I heard Yogi Hughes talk up Partick Thistle before the game and I thought 'Oh God here we go again'. No disrespect to Partick Thistle, but if they were that good they would be up battling Aberdeen for 2nd.

At least we won't be playing them again this season, we have more chance picking up points against Celtic.

:lol: Everytime we play Thistle in the league its Happy Partick Thistle Day. :rolleyes::lol:

Still Yogi is right most of the time, can't complain about the bigger picture.

No idea why we're such a bogey team to you guys, but long may it continue. 8)

Out of interest did those saying BRE coming on was the right move think doing the same thing with Liam Lindsay in the Hibs game at Easter Road last season where we conceded a late goal was the right move too? Granted in that game the 3 central defenders were Muirhead, Gabby and Lindsay so it's not an exact comparison.

I wasn't so convinced, I thought that like that Hibs game bringing on another central defender to play 5 at the back invites pressure and it didn't look like something that had been worked on in training with BRE and Balatoni both going for the same ball a couple of times which could've been costly. It wasn't and we're all delighted with the 3 points but I suspect it's a change that could've been slaughtered if Inverness done to us what has happened so often in the last couple of seasons when we're trying to hold onto a single goal lead.

I wasn't at that Easter Road game so can't comment, but I think pressure was imminent yesterday . Only thing Inverness could do was throw everything forward, so the choice was either to park the bus and shit fest, or play more balanced/attacking and risk a goal with our often fragile defence, particularly in the last few minutes of games.

Your point about a lack of training in that position may well be correct though and I'd hope that it's something they'll work on. That or they have and Balatoni and BRE were just being daft, which is quite possible.

I wasn't at that Easter Road game so can't comment, but I think pressure was imminent yesterday . Only thing Inverness could do was throw everything forward, so the choice was either to park the bus and shit fest, or play more balanced/attacking and risk a goal with our often fragile defence, particularly in the last few minutes of games.

Your point about a lack of training in that position may well be correct though and I'd hope that it's something they'll work on. That or they have and Balatoni and BRE were just being daft, which is quite possible.

Hasn't BRE been out with an injury recently? He played in the U20s recently but may be a bit short of game time. They can be as daft as they like if we can keep a clean sheet. Two more home wins and clean sheets will do just fine. But consistency is not a Thistle trait.

Whoever is responsible for the state of our pitch needs punted. It's an embarrassing state for a top flight club.

It seems to be recovering slightly, but the past month or so it has been dreadful. It's really affecting our play too - you could see a few times a nice pass along the ground turning into an absolute horror show of a bobbling ball. A few sliced passes too as it rears up just before they hit it.

The weather a while back can't have helped, but if it's recovering now then it should be perfect for the Firhill Cup and the football-less summer, which is really all that matters, right?

Archived