Partick Thistle v. Inverness Caledonian Thistle

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Horrible game and a thoroughly disappointing performance from ICT. Seemed very strange for Hughes to overhaul our set up and line us up in some kind of 3-4-2-1 formation, flooding the midfield and then having the players blooter the ball over the heads of the midfield to Watkins who got no joy all afternoon. Can't even think of any decent efforts from our point of view. We were shocking in the final third.

Good finish from Lawless but overall I didn't think much of Partick either. Both sides have performed better when I've seen them this season. Today seemed like an end of season affair.

Balatoni deservedly MoTM on his 150th appearance for us, he had to clean up Frans' mess a few times. Bannigan was superb again as was Stevo and Osman.

I thought we would be doing well to take 1 point from ICT, Aberdeen and Celtic, so 3 points already should take the pressure off.

For all the discussion recently that we haven't been improving recently, that's yet another clean sheet this season and another solid defensive display. Sure we were hardly Chelsea at the Nou Camp, some of our defending was last ditch and even panicky at times today. But we closed the opposition down well at the edge of the box and gave them little space to create anything, so another deserved win to nil.

Osman especially was outstanding, it's hard to believe this was the same guy that was involved in that 3-1 freakshow defeat to County just a few weeks ago. We need to extend his contract as soon as we can, he's been at the heart of every one of our clean sheets this season.

A shite game with little quality in the forward areas, but good organisation and a bit of balls can win you important points, and now we're as good as safe.

Last live game I saw was the same opposition molesting us in the cup, and had followed the ups and downs from afar so today was pretty encouraging. I wasn't surprised at all that they played Watkins up front again given how heavily he had destroyed us in the cup but we did seem to do just enough to combat him, although Frans got turned badly a couple of times and apparently from those in the NS Balatoni should have given away a penalty which almost no-one shouted for...

Thought at half time today was destined for a 0-0 or a 1-0 either way so still in shock that it went our way (although given the goal was 84 minutes, we still haven't scored a last 5 minute winner since Elliott vs Airdrie in April 2013). As much as we all love Dools I'm sure we can agree there was no way that goal would have been scored if he was playing CF rather than Taylor. I just hope the pre-agreed fee with Scunthorpe is reasonable enough to get him here, he clearly loves it.

I've missed too many of the recent games to comment accurately but it seems that our centre midfield is back to its best- Osman must be the sort of guy people hate playing against and Bannigan seems to have his mojo back. 4 more points for me will do it, especially if 3 of them come against one of the teams below us.

That was absolutely fucking horrible from us today. We looked decent in possession for maybe 15 minutes or so, until it became clear that our strategy was going to be to rely on slinging the ball up to Watkins from just inside the Partick half. It didn't ever look threatening, and it didn't help that Christie's and Watkins' first touches were absolutely honking all game. We really miss McKay's ability to drop deep, collect and hold the ball and bring our wide players into the game. From 40 yards out, we created nothing, and looked like we didn't know what to do with the ball while in possession. Tansey was about the only ICT player who showed any composure or invention. A huge contrast from the way we were playing even as recently as January. Thought Partick looked equally poor in the first half, but they were far more positive in the second and deserved the result.

Hughes has done a great job this season, and we're still in with a great chance of finishing third, but he has to rethink our approach if we're going to present any sort of threat against Celtic in the Scottish Cup semi. Today this team seemed completely devoid of attacking pace and the ability to press the ball, and if we don't have either of those things, then we will be in serious danger of conceding early and then getting picked off as we try to chase the game.

Last live game I saw was the same opposition molesting us in the cup, and had followed the ups and downs from afar so today was pretty encouraging. I wasn't surprised at all that they played Watkins up front again given how heavily he had destroyed us in the cup but we did seem to do just enough to combat him, although Frans got turned badly a couple of times and apparently from those in the NS Balatoni should have given away a penalty which almost no-one shouted for...

Thought at half time today was destined for a 0-0 or a 1-0 either way so still in shock that it went our way (although given the goal was 84 minutes, we still haven't scored a last 5 minute winner since Elliott vs Airdrie in April 2013). As much as we all love Dools I'm sure we can agree there was no way that goal would have been scored if he was playing CF rather than Taylor. I just hope the pre-agreed fee with Scunthorpe is reasonable enough to get him here, he clearly loves it.

I've missed too many of the recent games to comment accurately but it seems that our centre midfield is back to its best- Osman must be the sort of guy people hate playing against and Bannigan seems to have his mojo back. 4 more points for me will do it, especially if 3 of them come against one of the teams below us.

It was an absolute stonewaller of the Bannigan on Ainsworth variety. Balatoni near enough had the Inverness player's shorts down past his knees he was holding onto him so much. It wasn't surprise the ref didn't notice it as he was keeping up with play but it was right in front of the linesman.

It was an absolute stonewaller of the Bannigan on Ainsworth variety. Balatoni near enough had the Inverness player's shorts down past his knees he was holding onto him so much. It wasn't surprise the ref didn't notice it as he was keeping up with play but it was right in front of the linesman.

So a 1-0 win, consecutive wins, consecutive top flight clean sheets, late winner, and a bit of favourable refereeing?

Am I missing any or is that all?

Not a great performance but who cares. Osman and Bannigan bossed it. Defence solid. The rest put in a good shift. Good finish from Lawless.

Get Lawless, Osman and Taylor tied up plz.

So a 1-0 win, consecutive wins, consecutive top flight clean sheets, late winner, and a bit of favourable refereeing?

Am I missing any or is that all?

Also our first 1-0 home league victory since returning to the top flight? Second in total since returning. Partick fc till I die.

We've finally won two in a row. We've finally shit fested our way to three points.

Very decent.

Putting on a third centre back in the last few minutes. Substitutions doing it right and about time.

Highly pleading result yesterday without even playing particularly well. The defence were solid, especially Balatoni who, other than his first touch being garbage at times, hardly put a foot wrong all game. Osman and Bannigan both had good games as well, and lawless had a wee spark of creativity that was sorely lacking from the rest of the team but we couldn't find that final ball until the man himself stepped up... Scenes.

Caley also defended well but I can't remember them having any clear cut chances. Foxy did alright, made a couple of saves, although he took a while to distribute the ball when it looked like a quick pass was on. Booth looked better, made a couple of important tackles and blocks, and Archie got the subs spot on, we certainly wouldn't have scored that goal with Doolan still on the pitch, taylor is just much better at holding the ball up, and bringing on BRE at the end to make sure was a good call. He didn't have much to do but looked alright, seemed to be talking to the other centre halves a lot and trying to get everyone to push up a bit so that's fine.

Overall, poor game, great 3 points and absolutely vital considering county and motherwell's results. Needed it with 2 very difficult games coming up.

Archived