The Great Big Kilmarnock Thread

2 hours ago, Pizzo said:

Never ideal coming up against a team who's well into their season, regardless of form.

Agree with this. I think one of the reasons the Scottish teams (aside from the OF) tend to struggle in these qualifying rounds is that a lot of the potential ties are against teams that play their seasons over the summer period, and tend to be more match-sharp when the qualifiers are played. Killie v Nomads in 2019, Motherwell against Sligo a couple of seasons ago etc

Not saying it's the only reason why this happens but I believe it's one of the main ones. 

Edited by Ocular Patdown Required

Hopefully we sell out the 200 or so seats left in the Moffat Stand today and it'll be a full house of home fans for Thursday night. 

15 hours ago, Ocular Patdown Required said:

Agree with this. I think one of the reasons the Scottish teams (aside from the OF) tend to struggle in these qualifying rounds is that a lot of the potential ties are against teams that play their seasons over the summer period, and tend to be more match-sharp when the qualifiers are played. Killie v Nomads in 2019, Motherwell against Sligo a couple of seasons ago etc

Not saying it's the only reason why this happens but I believe it's one of the main ones. 

The Welsh league runs at the same time as us, they don't play summer football.

The reason smaller Scottish teams have struggled in qualifying rounds is more about losing a fair chunk of the team that was successful the previous year and then not having their replacements in place yet. That's not been a problem for us, and wasn't for McInnes at Aberdeen either, and they generally got through their ties against smaller clubs.

For every example of a Scottish team losing to a smaller summer league team, you can also find an example of them losing to a smaller winter league team (as you have in your post above) and also of them beating fairly decent summer league teams (eg St Johnstone & Hearts v Rosenborg).

On 22/07/2024 at 21:30, Ocular Patdown Required said:

Jesus Christ, not this pish getting trotted out again?  who are Scottish teams playing that are well into their season in July?  There are something like 11 nations in eufa that play a summer season, less than what there was 10- 15 years ago. Denmark , Russia, the Baltics and central Europe all switched to winter, Ireland is the exception going the other way.  Other than Ireland, all the remainder are inside the artic circle.

Good wee buzz about rhe town today. Spoke to a few Belgians and they were all sound.

Some arrived at 10 today after a 15 hour bus journey and are going back straight after the game.

1 minute ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Jesus Christ, not this pish getting trotted out again?  who are Scottish teams playing that are well into their season in July?  There are something like 11 nations in eufa that play a summer season, less than what there was 10- 15 years ago. Denmark , Russia, the Baltics and central Europe all switched to winter, Ireland is the exception going the other way.  Other than Ireland, all the remainder are inside the artic circle.

Valur of Iceland.

1 minute ago, Pizzo said:

Valur of Iceland.

That's hardly alot tho is it? CCOM thread for this, Scottish teams typically do not play European qualifiers against teams halfway through their season, they may of course, but the chances are they won't

6 minutes ago, Pizzo said:

Good wee buzz about rhe town today. Spoke to a few Belgians and they were all sound.

Some arrived at 10 today after a 15 hour bus journey and are going back straight after the game.

Yeah I spoke to loads of them earlier and as you said all very friendly, quite a few of them wearing kilts.

9 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

That's hardly alot tho is it? CCOM thread for this, Scottish teams typically do not play European qualifiers against teams halfway through their season, they may of course, but the chances are they won't

We're guaranteed to play a team half way throu their season if we drop into the conference league.

Didn't get a chance before, but enjoy yer Euro adventures.  

I don't know anything about Cercle Brugge (or see the match last night)  so I'm just going to say we'll done, and go get a result on their patch.

All the best.

aDONis

[Insert - I remember when McInnes used to take us on Euro adventures smilie]