Heart of Midlothian v Queen of the South, 28/03/2015

Yep, odd game which got the result it deserved. Hearts weren't a patch on their all conquering early season form and were clearly in party mood but they got the job done with no real concerns. First goal had several errors from us in it as well taken as it was. It was certainly preventable. Second was a fluke but if you make enough chances and knock on the door often enough you'll get some of those. We didn't deserve anything from the game so I'm not at all moaning about it but again we got none of the fortune against Hearts this season. We've lost 11 goals to Hearts, way more than to anyone else (Rovers are next with 7). That includes three flukes and a couple of absolute "worldies" though. I think we're a little unfortunate not to have nicked a point off them somewhere but they have been great champions and that's why. They don't (generally) lose daft points.

We played ok but lacked the ability on the day to really trouble them in the final third. Russell's absence hurts us. In the end it's turned out not a bad day for us though. Not magic, but not bad. Dumbarton's surprise win keeps Falkirk a point adrift of us and we've got a difficult game out of the way. We lost one goal of our goal difference advantage, that's all. Whilst I expect we'll most likely be behind Falkirk before we next play it's with some optimism that we can travel back to Edinburgh next week. Raith's result against Hibs today both puts our loss there on Tuesday into context and underlines that HIbs, despite that long unbeaten run, aren't really to be feared. There's no reason we can't go there and get something.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its a pity we couldn't loan you guys a couple of our strikers for the next couple of months as you'd have every chance of joining us in the SPL next season with some real quality in the final 3rd. Play some lovely stuff from the back and through the midfield but sometimes struggle to turn it into any threat or final ball. Would love to see you come up but worry that will be your downfall.

That would be nice! Where was Chris Mitchell today?

Its a pity we couldn't loan you guys a couple of our strikers for the next couple of months as you'd have every chance of joining us in the SPL next season with some real quality in the final 3rd. Play some lovely stuff from the back and through the midfield but sometimes struggle to turn it into any threat or final ball. Would love to see you come up but worry that will be your downfall.

It`s more of a pity that we couldn`t have taken responsibility ourselves when it came to replacing the striker we gave to our main rivals.

Who should we have brought in then?

I can`t answer that as I don`t know who was available. Seems likely we could have got someone in on loan from a SPL club though.

Bringing nobody in left us short of options which came home to roost when Lyle got suspended and to an extent with Russell`s injury.

For all his faults even someone like McHugh who we brought in last year would have been better than nobody. It`s hard to believe we couldn`t get anyone in. Maybe we tried and it didn`t work but either way the issue has hurt us. Crazy that we managed not only to weaken ourselves but simultaneously strengthened our main rivals.

I can`t answer that as I don`t know who was available. Seems likely we could have got someone in on loan from a SPL club though.

Bringing nobody in left us short of options which came home to roost when Lyle got suspended and to an extent with Russell`s injury.

For all his faults even someone like McHugh who we brought in last year would have been better than nobody. It`s hard to believe we couldn`t get anyone in. Maybe we tried and it didn`t work but either way the issue has hurt us. Crazy that we managed not only to weaken ourselves while simultaneously strengthening our main rivals.

Strikers arent exactly abundantly available. The idea that there "must" be someone out there at an SPL club, whos under 22, whos good enough is a bit pie in the sky

Strikers arent exactly abundantly available. The idea that there "must" be someone out there at an SPL club, whos under 22, whos good enough is a bit pie in the sky

Maybe you are correct, neither of us can know for sure unless you are in the know. I`m not.

Unless I knew we could replace him I wouldn`t have let Baird go to a rival. In my opinion it`s been a big factor in Falkirk putting us under increasing pressure. Players like to play, a few weeks out and Baird would have wanted back in. Again just my opinion, I can`t possibly know.

For all his faults even someone like McHugh who we brought in last year would have been better than nobody. It`s hard to believe we couldn`t get anyone in. Maybe we tried and it didn`t work but either way the issue has hurt us. Crazy that we managed not only to weaken ourselves but simultaneously strengthened our main rivals.

McHugh is too old for a loan to us. We can only sign someone u22 on loan.

Maybe you are correct, neither of us can know for sure unless you are in the know. I`m not.

Unless I knew we could replace him I wouldn`t have let Baird go to a rival. In my opinion it`s been a big factor in Falkirk putting us under increasing pressure. Players like to play, a few weeks out and Baird would have wanted back in. Again just my opinion, I can`t possibly know.

No, Im not in the know either. I do no, though, that fans of almost every team in every transfer window trot out the "if only we had a goal scorer" line. Its unfortunate that Baird joined our main rivals and even more unfortunate that hes found the form we were expecting to see of him in a Queens shirt. It was never really an option to keep him though.

I realise that. Meant it as an example that we managed last season. Maybe not well put.

Its not the same task though. There was no age limit when we brought McHugh in last year (we also got lucky in the timing stepping in when Dundee were prevented from signing him under the rules at the time).

No, Im not in the know either. I do no, though, that fans of almost every team in every transfer window trot out the "if only we had a goal scorer" line. Its unfortunate that Baird joined our main rivals and even more unfortunate that hes found the form we were expecting to see of him in a Queens shirt. It was never really an option to keep him though.

It is indeed unfortunate that we allowed a contracted player to join a rival. I`d have kept him even if he didn`t play. It`s not like we used the wage for something else albeit it`s clearly saved us money in not paying Baird.

Clearly it`s an issue that will continue to divide opinion and few of us can know what might or might not have been possible.

It is indeed unfortunate that we allowed a contracted player to join a rival. I`d have kept him even if he didn`t play. It`s not like we used the wage for something else albeit it`s clearly saved us money in not paying Baird.

Clearly it`s an issue that will continue to divide opinion and few of us can know what might or might not have been possible.

I wouldnt have. To do that, he would basically have had to be put on gardening leave. Its not like we have a reserve team he could be sent to train with, so either he comes in and trains as normal and, potentially, is a disruptive influence in the squad, or hes told to stay at home on full pay. Thats not great for the morale of the rest of the squad. Its also not a great image for the club to project - sign for us and if theres a problem we'll make you sit in the stand for 6 months.

Archived