Heart of Midlothian v Queen of the South, 28/03/2015

I wouldnt have. To do that, he would basically have had to be put on gardening leave. Its not like we have a reserve team he could be sent to train with, so either he comes in and trains as normal and, potentially, is a disruptive influence in the squad, or hes told to stay at home on full pay. Thats not great for the morale of the rest of the squad. Its also not a great image for the club to project - sign for us and if theres a problem we'll make you sit in the stand for 6 months.

Fair points.

It`s no worse an image than we`ll happily give you a 2 year deal but you can piss off anytime you choose.

Probably time to move on. We`re still 4th after all. Let`s see where it all ends up.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fair points.

It`s no worse an image than we`ll happily give you a 2 year deal but you can piss off anytime you choose.

Probably time to move on. We`re still 4th after all. Let`s see where it all ends up.

I cant see any player having an issue with that, to be honest.

You're right, though, we should move on. I just fear its a stick that some will use, unfairly in my opinion, to beat the club with should we miss out on the play offs

I'd much rather see Pickard/Smith/Smith given some game time than this unknown SPL wonderkid that no-one can name but everyone suspects would be the saviour of our season.

Another week passes and we're still above Falkirk. That must really piss a lot of our fans off.

I wouldnt have. To do that, he would basically have had to be put on gardening leave. Its not like we have a reserve team he could be sent to train with, so either he comes in and trains as normal and, potentially, is a disruptive influence in the squad, or hes told to stay at home on full pay. Thats not great for the morale of the rest of the squad. Its also not a great image for the club to project - sign for us and if theres a problem we'll make you sit in the stand for 6 months.

It is indeed unfortunate that we allowed a contracted player to join a rival. I`d have kept him even if he didn`t play. It`s not like we used the wage for something else albeit it`s clearly saved us money in not paying Baird.

Clearly it`s an issue that will continue to divide opinion and few of us can know what might or might not have been possible.

How bad Kerr and Baird were for the dressing room , none of us know for sure. In Kerr's case I would imagine pretty bad. As for Baird, he wasn't a world beater and it's a measure of how desperate some fans feel that Mc Hugh's name is being brought up . Is that the guy who got pelters every week he played for us?

As for the wages of both, who knows for sure if the rest of the squad isn't benefiting from that right now? We have a small squad; in an ideal world we would have signed Messi to replace Baird; however, signing a third rate striker who just happened to be available would only have given us somebody to blame. If it were as easy to get a good striker as some folk think, there would be 20 goals a game.

Let's get behind the team on the park.

I've managed to see all 4 games against Hearts this season, we've played well in them all but still managed to lose them all. Hearts easily the best team in the league, but it would have been good to take something.

The problem in the last couple of games has been in the final third. Possession was actually about 50/50, but knocking the ball about cleverly in your own half doesn't really hurt teams (ask Raith).

I'd also observe that we haven't conceded the first goal and went on to win any game this season (although we have done the reverse on more than one occasion).

Finally, I was disappointed that £23 didn't get me a decent view of the game, seat 7 Row 9 has a fence between you and the goals and an obscured view.

I'd also observe that we haven't conceded the first goal and went on to win any game this season (although we have done the reverse on more than one occasion).

To be fair thats at least partly because we rarely concede the first goal at all. I might have missed something but I think only Cowden twice and Raith in midweek have done it apart from the big three (and Hibs have only managed it once).

For a team that has a lot to still to play for to hang to, or fight for, a place in the play-offs, I feel that there has been a distinct lack of a buzz, urgency or commitment from the team in general in the past two games. There doesn't seem to be much motivation coming from the management, although it could be argued that the situation Queens are in to achieve a top four finish should be motivation enough for the players in itself. At times we have looked like a mid-table team with nothing at stake and just happy to see out the season. Maybe one or two players have got other things on their minds, like where they will be playing next season.

I'd much rather see Pickard/Smith/Smith given some game time than this unknown SPL wonderkid that no-one can name but everyone suspects would be the saviour of our season.

Another week passes and we're still above Falkirk. That must really piss a lot of our fans off.

Really :thumbsdown

I still think we should have replaced Baird and perhaps we tried to, who knows. I`m not suggesting anyone we brought in would have saved our season, in fact i`m not sure anyone is is suggesting that.

On balance.I`m actuallly significantly more pissed off that we strengthened our main rival, than we didn`t bring anyone in.

Good point re our younger players getting some game time though. Might ultimately be of more benefit to us.

How bad Kerr and Baird were for the dressing room , none of us know for sure. In Kerr's case I would imagine pretty bad. As for Baird, he wasn't a world beater and it's a measure of how desperate some fans feel that Mc Hugh's name is being brought up . Is that the guy who got pelters every week he played for us?

As for the wages of both, who knows for sure if the rest of the squad isn't benefiting from that right now? We have a small squad; in an ideal world we would have signed Messi to replace Baird; however, signing a third rate striker who just happened to be available would only have given us somebody to blame. If it were as easy to get a good striker as some folk think, there would be 20 goals a game.

Let's get behind the team on the park.

Right I`ll try to be clear here. I suggested McHugh as an example that we mangaged to get a striker in last season not a suggestion that he would be the solution this seasn. I thought I`d clarified that point and made it pretty clear but obviously not.

FWIW I don`t remember many boos in the play-off games v Falkirk when he scored 3 and was excellent but as you rightly say overall he wasn`t great.

SD has clarified for me that the rules have changed and thus it`s tougher to get someone in. I fully accept that.

Likewise none (few) of us can know if we did try to sign anyone.

Re getting behind the team on the park, totally agree.

On balance.I`m actuallly significantly more pissed off that we strengthened our main rival, than we didn`t bring anyone in.

There isnt an awful lot we can do to prevent that. Its not like we sold them to Falkirk. Kerr and Baird manipulated their departures and like it or not it was decided it was better for the squad for them to leave than stay, the harmony of the group being more important than the loss of the individuals. Once they left their next destination is out of our hands.

Right I`ll try to be clear here. I suggested McHugh as an example that we mangaged to get a striker in last season not a suggestion that he would be the solution this seasn. I thought I`d clarified that point and made it pretty clear but obviously not.

FWIW I don`t remember many boos in the play-off games v Falkirk when he scored 3 and was excellent but as you rightly say overall he wasn`t great.

SD has clarified for me that the rules have changed and thus it`s tougher to get someone in. I fully accept that.

The rules havent changed. That rule was there last year. Its Zander's age which changed. Last year he wasnt an overage loan, this year he is. You are only allowed one at a time.

For what its worth I would happily have McHugh back if it was feasible. I thought he was decent even before his four goal burst in his last week with us. He was superb that week. A lot of people never really forgave THAT miss which was an absolute howler but away from thst he did ok.

The rules havent changed. That rule was there last year. Its Zander's age which changed. Last year he wasnt an overage loan, this year he is. You are only allowed one at a time.

For what its worth I would happily have McHugh back if it was feasible. I thought he was decent even before his four goal burst in his last week with us. He was superb that week. A lot of people never really forgave THAT miss which was an absolute howler but away from thst he did ok.

Cheers for the detail. appreciated.

As will be obvious to all :lol: my grasp of the rules re loan deals isn`t great.

There isnt an awful lot we can do to prevent that. Its not like we sold them to Falkirk. Kerr and Baird manipulated their departures and like it or not it was decided it was better for the squad for them to leave than stay, the harmony of the group being more important than the loss of the individuals. Once they left their next destination is out of our hands.

Indeed. The only thing under our control was to release or not. I understand the thinking behind it.

Really :thumbsdown

I still think we should have replaced Baird and perhaps we tried to, who knows. I`m not suggesting anyone we brought in would have saved our season, in fact i`m not sure anyone is is suggesting that.

Good point re our younger players getting some game time though. Might ultimately be of more benefit to us.

At the risk of being pedantic, we (ie the Club) did not strengthen our main rival. Two players who clearly didn't want to be here were released from their contracts by mutual consent, it is an unfortunate coincidence that they just happened to sign for Falkirk. Whether or not the moves were orchestrated prior to them being released we can only surmise. It is a bit harsh to place the blame on Queens because Falkirk decided to sign two available players.

At the risk of being pedantic, we (ie the Club) did not strengthen our main rival. Two players who clearly didn't want to be here were released from their contracts by mutual consent, it is an unfortunate coincidence that they just happened to sign for Falkirk. Whether or not the moves were orchestrated prior to them being released we can only surmise. It is a bit harsh to place the blame on Queens because Falkirk decided to sign two available players.

It is pedantic but also a fair point to an extent.

That said it seemed to be common knowledge where both players were going prior to their release. Certainly widely quoted where Baird was going.

You are correct of course, once released we had no control over matters.

You're right of course, but the word 'coincidence' implies a chance event.

Sorry if I got the wrong end of the McHugh stick. You are right that he went from less than tepid to quite warm just as the season ended with his last minute equaliser at Central Park , then onto the play- off games.

I think we are all agreed that getting a suitable striker in was going to be nigh impossible. I do accept the argument being posted about Baird and Kerr going to our rivals could have been prevented by paying them to act as stewards or selling chips but I suspect that would have been a waste of two wages and have been terrible for morale at the club.

Before yesterdays match, the club took time out to present Hearts with a gift celebrating their SPFL Championship title win.

Everyone at Queen of the South would like to take this opportunity to congratulate Heart of Midlothian, worthy winners of the league this season. Good luck in next seasons Premiership. Maybe we'll see you there!

http://www.qosfc.com/new_newsview.aspx?newsid=2746

Nice touch from Queens, definitely developed a bit of a soft spot for them.

Really hope they join us in the Premiership next season.

Archived