John Barnes - "It's cos I is black innit?"

7 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Imagine choosing to play your football in Europe and being expected to play in line with the European calendar of fixtures. Really shocking stuff.

It works both ways. It's like employing Muslims and asking them every year if they are to be taking that silly Ramadan festival off. 

Just now, invergowrie arab said:

It works both ways. It's like employing Muslims and asking them every year if they are to be taking that silly Ramadan festival off. 

Fond memories of Wenger continually signing the best young African talent then whining that they actually wanted to play for their countries. 

11 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Which Muslim players take Ramadan off? Didn’t realise that was a thing tbf.

If I was an employer I’d have no issues with my staff taking Ramadan off - it would come out of their holiday allowance though obviously.

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

They don't take it "off" and it's not a "festival". Otherwise, spot on.

A lad working in a takeaway once explained the fasting part of Ramadan while I was waiting. They were well into the holy month by that point, and he looked ill. Imagine working with food in a hot kitchen having eaten or drank nothing since 6am.

Edit: was there not a recent issue at a World Cup where one of the teams filled with Muslim players had to play an evening game during Ramadan? I seem to remember a lot of talk about whether they'd be allowed to break their fast in preparation.

Edited by BFTD

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

A lad working in a takeaway once explained the fasting part of Ramadan while I was waiting. They were well into the holy month by that point, and he looked ill. Imagine working with food in a hot kitchen having eaten or drank nothing since 6am.

Used to work with a Muslim fella who sadly now works elsewhere.  He certainly made up for the fasting by stuffing his face with all sorts of nonsense after dark :D

Hibs had Moroccan players during Collins and Mowbray era - Benjelloun and Zemmama - who used to miss games and training due to effects of fasting.

Africa Cup of Nations had moved to June - it was played there in 2019 and will be again in 2023 - but having been delayed a year they put this edition in January to space it out more IIRC. Asian Cup also moved. WC in Qatar should be last major tournament played outside June-July.

It's valid to question whether it needs held every other year IMO.

That said FIFA added an extra international window this January (except for UEFA) so many players will be away for 10 days.

Edited by HibeeJibee

Wright makes a fair point in principle - those managers and clubs complaining about the tournament can't claim to have been caught off guard by the scheduling either at the time of signing the player or in assessing fixtures and player availability for the season ahead. Am not quite sure there is the racist connotation to it he suggests - there will no doubt be some viewing it from a racist perspective - but more generally I think it is the tournament that currently contributes most to the club v country debate. And clubs in many leagues - but not all - don't give a feck about international football. 

However Wright has made his point in a typically footballer/football pundit type manner. Similar to Shearer's assessment of a player's ability confined to playing around with the order of "pace, power, precision, he has it all.....", to Robbie "there was contact" Savage, his focus is on "respect". In his and others view in the article, the football world revolves around the quest for respect and not having fragile egos impacted upon by the "lack of respect". It's all about respect. RESPECT. 

11 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

Wright makes a fair point in principle - those managers and clubs complaining about the tournament can't claim to have been caught off guard by the scheduling either at the time of signing the player or in assessing fixtures and player availability for the season ahead. Am not quite sure there is the racist connotation to it he suggests - there will no doubt be some viewing it from a racist perspective - but more generally I think it is the tournament that currently contributes most to the club v country debate. And clubs in many leagues - but not all - don't give a feck about international football. 

However Wright has made his point in a typically footballer/football pundit type manner. Similar to Shearer's assessment of a player's ability confined to playing around with the order of "pace, power, precision, he has it all.....", to Robbie "there was contact" Savage, his focus is on "respect". In his and others view in the article, the football world revolves around the quest for respect and not having fragile egos impacted upon by the "lack of respect". It's all about respect. RESPECT. 

I think you're right that most won't be coming at this from an overtly racist point of view. But I think there is definitely ignorance and euro-centrism at play.

The debate around the AFCON in this country every two years is very much a bunch of Europeans having a debate about what an African tournament should do based almost entirely on what would be most convenient for European football.

Presumably there is a reason/reasons that the tournament is held every two years and primarily in January/February since as far as I can see that has been the case for the last 60 years, you would imagine it must be in some way beneficial for African football for that to be the case, but it never comes into the debate.

It all centres around the fact that a non European tournament doesn't fit perfectly into the European football calendar, and asking what the non Europeans can do for us to minimise the disruption.