The Summer football debate

Yes... but our "closed season" (little of it there would be) and "mid-season" being the reverse of most of the rest of Europe would still be difficult - given we the vast majority of player movements are with England and the continent.

Also, separately, clubs would qualify for Europe in December then not start-out on their campaigns for another 7/8 months!!

But then on the flipside if sky were willing to pay more money during the summer and the predicted 5-10% increase on gates by some on here happen then there will be more money in the game that will then let clubs improve facilities etc... meaning a better product on the pitch. Then more fans through the gates etc.. again and it goes on.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I say, for me you could obtain the benefits by starting the season earlier (in July) and having a winter break (in January).

It avoids most of the serious issues "summer football" i.e. January-December entails.

I don't think it would be good for us to play across WCs/Euros, and given we're hoping Scotland qualify and given clubs have internationalists from many nations - particularly as Euros now 24-teams - that wouldn't be practical anyway.

I appreciate the non Saturday idea would not go down well with everyone but these extra early games could replace midweek games in November and January and also allow those who claim they do other things on Saturdays in the summer to continue to do so.

I'm not in favour of a summer season but with a winter season starting early July. At point of issuing the fixtures we would know the 4 teams in Europe so with creative planning those in Europe are issued 1 fixture (possibly against each other) and the others are issued 2. In some weeks you may only get 2 Friday and Monday games if the 4 European teams are not playing each other.

As to when the missing fixtures would be played, they would have to use the existing mid week dates in November January etc to catch up

It could also help mix the league up a bit at the start as the non European teams would have a chance to put points on the board through back to back summer games.

A bit of thinking out of the box is needed to keep the winter season and the benefits of New Year games as well as supporting all our teams in Europe.

I for one would not buy a season ticket if it meant games were not played on a Saturday or Sunday. Most people go away in the summer months so would probably miss 3 Saturday games. The more I think about it the more I think it's a shite idea.

The autumn/winter/spring season is shoyte. However, as it's as traditional as out the work at 4pm on a Friday, blow most of the wages in the pub and then go home and give the wife a hiding for no reason, I reckon it won't change until Celtic leaves Scottish football for more lucrative climes. ( Ahem.)

Would be nice to have a summer season then a winter indoor fives or sevens competition.

Most people go away in the summer months so would probably miss 3 Saturday games.

That would be evened out by all those who complain that people can't be expected to go in December because Christmas is so expensive and then don't turn up in January either because they spent so much over Christmas.

Its sunny today. Clear proof Summer football would work.

So?? It was sunny at points in the winter too!! It will rain through the coming few months for sure and it rained in the winter!! How does today being sunny mean Summer Football would work??

I would definitely go to less games over a summer football Calander and for that I will always be against.

I love a horrid cold day at the football , I would be doing f**k all else on a Saturday in January

Archived