Motherwell vs St Mirren 07/04/15

I'm led to believe Erwin's contract extension is imminent. Although, the longer is goes without being signed, the more worried i'd be!

I'd love for us to re-sign McDonald, although whether that's affordable is another matter. Same again with Sutton, can we afford someone like that, who I would assume would be one of our top earners, to sit on the bench for most games?

Would fully expect Ramsden, Lawson, Vigurs, Kerr, Cummins and loan guys to leave with the minimum of fuss. Also forgetting Laing & Long would be due back to their clubs. As for Josh Law - who knows? I would have driven him home myself a couple of months back, but he's made himself the first-choice right back. I'd certainly give him another year, develop him in the way that Tom Hateley was. A midfielder is his own head, but a very capable full-back for Motherwell.

I can't see McDonald staying as he will have plenty of offers I would have thought - although he'd be my pick of that list along with Erwin. I've always liked Handsome John and I'd like to see him stay but we need to be realistic that we could never keep all three of the above and Erwin/Sutton are going to be an either/or choice on a Saturday.

Josh Law (despite many, including me, writing him off after his stint in midfield) has established himself as a serviceable right back and as he would fit the bill of low wage demands and versatile enough would be a "keep" for me. Lawson is IMO a good midfield player but to be brutal, we can't afford to pay someone with his injury record, so he's a no for me. Kerr, Cummins & Ramsden should go.

Vigurs is one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen but the truth is that over the 2 years, hasn't delivered regularly enough given his natural talents - so another goner for me. Ainsworth - arrrrgghhh! - the last few games shows why people get mad with him - he's head and shoulders above most attackers in the league when he's on his game - and despite that fact that he too often isn't - his goals and assists return in his two years is miles better than Vigurs, so if we were to carry one "luxury" player, I'd keep Ainsworth (although he will likely want to move on I'd guess).

If I could renew one loanee - it would be Laing....

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Earlier in this thread I was saying how those highlights of the 3-2 comeback game last season reminded me of how much we miss what a fit Iain Brines brought to our team. And then Erwin gave a textbook demonstration of exactly the same thing. Someone who can control the ball, hold it up, and get a shot away.

Erwin took 18 minutes last night to match the striking output of any of our forwards this season. :blink:

Fixed that for you ;) He wore the same attire as Dick Turpin that day & not the official referee issue...

Just seen the highlights. Do st Mirren practice defending in training at all? Brutal stuff.

I don't think we practice fucking anything, TBH. People were slaughtering Kelly at LB, but I don't know WTF Genev was doing for the first two goals. But we could be here all day pointing out flaws in last night's performance. I'll say this for Kenny McLean: they were some monster fucking cracks he was papering over.

I don't think we practice fucking anything, TBH. People were slaughtering Kelly at LB, but I don't know WTF Genev was doing for the first two goals. But we could be here all day pointing out flaws in last night's performance. I'll say this for Kenny McLean: they were some monster fucking cracks he was papering over.

Genev is shaping up to be this season's Mo Camara. A competent debut made out to be superb due to our lack of anyone decent in that role before it emerges he's actually not very good.

Who'd have thought the centre-half who hasn't played since being binned by a club in Kazakhstan would turn out to be rubbish?

I can't see McDonald staying as he will have plenty of offers I would have thought - although he'd be my pick of that list along with Erwin. I've always liked Handsome John and I'd like to see him stay but we need to be realistic that we could never keep all three of the above and Erwin/Sutton are going to be an either/or choice on a Saturday.

Josh Law (despite many, including me, writing him off after his stint in midfield) has established himself as a serviceable right back and as he would fit the bill of low wage demands and versatile enough would be a "keep" for me. Lawson is IMO a good midfield player but to be brutal, we can't afford to pay someone with his injury record, so he's a no for me. Kerr, Cummins & Ramsden should go.

Vigurs is one of the most frustrating players I've ever seen but the truth is that over the 2 years, hasn't delivered regularly enough given his natural talents - so another goner for me. Ainsworth - arrrrgghhh! - the last few games shows why people get mad with him - he's head and shoulders above most attackers in the league when he's on his game - and despite that fact that he too often isn't - his goals and assists return in his two years is miles better than Vigurs, so if we were to carry one "luxury" player, I'd keep Ainsworth (although he will likely want to move on I'd guess).

If I could renew one loanee - it would be Laing....

Agree with all that although maybe we should keep Fraser Kerr? I admit I misjudged Laing although he looks much better than his first couple of games. Perhaps he was just a bit short on competitive matches. If Hammell is fit and Josh Law stays (and idk why he wouldn't) then that leaves us short a centre back to play with McManus who inexplicably has another year on his deal, yes more understandable than Craig Reid having another year.

Ainsworth is probably gone. Every club in the league would offer him a deal based on his highlights. Skinning full backs and scoring long rangers for fun but he is next to useless when having to work hard in a game. I expect he will get a move to English League 1 or maybe even low end Championship.

Our midfield is almost set fair for next season anyway with a four of

Johnson - Lasley - Pearson - Thomas

Up front I would be gutted if we lost McDonald and Sutton. I hope they both stay. Erwin should be signing a new deal as well. Everything is looking good if we can just avoid relegation and get past the McCall legacy.

The difference that McDonald and Pearson have made to that team is night and day to what went before. Added to their undoubted extra quality, they have added some much needed spirit and dig to the side and we now look like a competitive side rather than a meek and beaten one before the first whistle has even gone.

Genev is shaping up to be this season's Mo Camara. A competent debut made out to be superb due to our lack of anyone decent in that role before it emerges he's actually not very good.

See also: Lewis Toshney's spell at Ross County.

McDonald effectively said when he signed that it was about putting himself in the shop window, which is fair enough but he's been such a key part of our improvement and had such a positive effect on the team as a whole that it'd be pretty gutting if he leaves. As Swello says though, I can't imagine he'll be short on offers.

Assuming we stay up and If Baraclough's sticking with a 442 then being able to choose 2 from McDonald, Sutton & Erwin with Moore as a back up would be a great position to be in. As well as Erwin's been playing the past few weeks it's a big ask for him to do it consistently over the season, having the likes of McDonald & Sutton around would surely only help his development as well.

As it stands though you'd think that if there are players who are fit and out of contract at the end of the season but aren't getting any sort of game time now then their tea's probably oot.

Not much to add. We were excellent and St Mirren were awful, any other analysis over complicates it. Not sure about Teale's tactics in a must win game but to be quite conservative, the first thing you have to do is keep it tight and get the other team nervous and after conceding one in six minutes they just folded like a pack of cards.

Always liked Gary Teale as a player and strikes me as a good honest guy, felt heart sorry for him last night. He maybe made some wrong choices but he was entitled to better.

For us thought is is no more than a baby step to survival and a Partick/Ross County double at the weekend just about leaves us needing snookers. So we better be up for the same again.

Archived