79th Masters Tournament

Davis Love III

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hoping Phil can make a run on the back nine. I don't have much of an opinion of Spieth at this point, but I don't follow golf other than the majors. Heard his name here and there, but nothing beyond that.

Most popular in history you think?

Even ahead of the likes of Palmer, Nicklaus, Player or Seve?

Before my time, but the trend of sports fandom has been away from people following one specific sport in the past and more towards the general. In every US sport except maybe baseball and the Olympics the top modern athletes have far more reach into general society when compared to those of the past. Tiger may not have been the most popular amongst "golf people" (because they would know about his personality), but the sport reached popularity among general sports fans in the US never seen before Tiger.

Hoping Phil can make a run on the back nine. I don't have much of an opinion of Spieth at this point, but I don't follow golf other than the majors. Heard his name here and there, but nothing beyond that.

Before my time, but the trend of sports fandom has been away from people following one specific sport in the past and more towards the general. In every US sport except maybe baseball and the Olympics the top modern athletes have far more reach into general society when compared to those of the past. Tiger may not have been the most popular amongst "golf people" (because they would know about his personality), but the sport reached popularity among general sports fans in the US never seen before Tiger.

Best known possibly, most popular I'm not so sure.

I wouldthink Arnies Army would have given him a run for his money. You can't underestimate what the triumvirate of Palmer, Player, and Nicklaus did for the game back in the 1960's, or the popularity they achieved. In these days of intense marketing, when everyone and his granny has access to the internet, anyone can achieve world renown. This shouldn't be mistaken as popularity. Regardless of how good a golfer he is, and he is one of the best of all time, I would doubt his death would inspire the genuine grief that Seve's did.

Best known possibly, most popular I'm not so sure. I wouldthink Arnies Army would have given him a run for his money. You can't underestimate what the triumvirate of Palmer, Player, and Nicklaus did for the game back in the 1960's, or the popularity they achieved. In these days of intense marketing, when everyone and his granny has access to the internet, anyone can achieve world renown. This shouldn't be mistaken as popularity. Regardless of how good a golfer he is, and he is one of the best of all time, I would doubt his death would inspire the genuine grief that Seve's did.

You were doing fine til you got to the last sentence. Tiger Woods is arguably the greatest of all time and the possibly the reason that anyone under 30, has picked up a club. A sheer phenomenon. His popularity may take a hit due to his off field shenanigans however his influence amongst the golfing fraternity and outwith, can never be underestimated

You were doing fine til you got to the last sentence. Tiger Woods is arguably the greatest of all time and the possibly the reason that anyone under 30, has picked up a club. A sheer phenomenon. His popularity may take a hit due to his off field shenanigans however his influence amongst the golfing fraternity and outwith, can never be underestimated

That's a fair argument, but you could also argue that Seve (especially in Europe), and before him, Palmer, Player and Nicklaus are the reason that the two previous generations had picked up a club.

It's difficult to quantify which of the players has had the greatest influence - if anything, you could say Mark McCormack was bigger then them all!

That's a fair argument, but you could also argue that Seve (especially in Europe), and before him, Palmer, Player and Nicklaus are the reason that the two previous generations had picked up a club.

It's difficult to quantify which of the players has had the greatest influence - if anything, you could say Mark McCormack was bigger then them all!

Yep, in the 60's and 70's you had the big three and in the 80's Seve had the golfing worlds imagination between his major wins and Ryder Cup exploits. Woods has had the late 90s and 00s wrapped up. These are all the greatest of their generations without doubt

I was saying to the mrs, Spieth was worth a couple of hundred at 2/7 as he was strolling it but shes put me off. Well happy now hes 1/33 and 6 clear :(

I got my money on pre tournament at 10/1

I got my money on pre tournament at 10/1

Check the gambling thread. I predicted Spieth pre tourney and didnt back him. After his first round, the odds plummetted and he wasnt worth backing and his price has fell after every great round

Archived