Hardest achievement in sport?

Killiesquirrel

Was reading through the '147 break or 9 dart finish thread' and saw a (could have been trolling) suggestion from Eoin Doyle/Lewis Stevenson mentioning a hole in one.

So, just what is the hardest achievement in sport? Ones that spring to mind are 147 break, 9 dart finish, hole in one, home run (baseball), century in cricket.. Can't think what the football equivalent would be? Goal from own half?

Anymore suggestions on top of these? Discuss.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The problem with any team sport is you're only as good as the opposition, both the 147 and 9 darter are in sports / games where your opponent can have almost no control once you've started (theoretically you could throw second and be on for a 9-darter and your opponent beats you to it).

I think to be quantifiable, it would probably have to be something where you're competing against the clock or a fixed course.

I definitely wouldn't say a hole in one, any old chump who shoots 90 (not me, sadly) can get one, in fact if an average handicap golfer hits a perfect contact on a par 3, chances are they'll overhit the flag, only your low / scratch handicappers and pros would be better adjusted to their yardages.

Again, some folk will say this is not much of a sport but scoring 900 (3 x perfect games in a row) in ten pin has only ever been done 24 times since 1997.

In combat sport, remaining unbeaten over a long period of time or even an entire career is probably there, but you'll always have people saying "if he'd fought X in year Y ye'd have lost". Suppose the same goes for team sports. The all blacks for example, hump everyone most of the time but what's the actual "achievement" in this context?

Baseball would be the Perfect Game (27 players out with nobody getting on Base) rather than a home run.Batting would be 4 home runs

Basketball would be a Triple or quadruple double or scoring more than 70 points (only done 3 times)

Football would be the perfect hattrick. But it's less stats based compared to other sports so it's hard to say.

What about the "triple bagel" in tennis?

Again, quality of opposition.

Andy Murray did it to some diddy from Luxembourg in the Davis Cup a couple of years back and if it was going to happen to someone good, it's most likely because they're injured.

I'd agree with the cyclists winning gruelling grand tours, if they weren't all doped to the testicles.

A woman tennis player achieved a 'golden set' a couple years back I believe.. She won 6-0 without conceding a point, meaning she won at least 24points in a row, that's some going.

I'm sure that plenty of men could do that against a poor woman player.

I've had three holes in one, two of them were in decent rounds, one was absolutely diabolical. They're actually quite annoying things to happen in some ways, the first one i had was followed by several piss-poor as my concentration was temporarily binned. The third was the best though, I started something like 6-1-7-5-6 and ended up in the 80s.

Also, weirdly, all three were on the same hole, on the same course, using the same club in an 18 month spell in the early 90s. I've hit the pin a few times on par 3s since, and also had a tee shot that finished dead centre about 2 inches behind the hole, f**k knows how that happened :lol: , but never had another one in 20-odd years.

It's not a great sporting achievement though, as any duffer can fluke one. My list would be:

Darts: 9 Darter

Snooker: 147

Football: Season unbeaten

Golf: Scratch 59 (on a recognised 18 hole golf course)

Other sports: Meh.

Archived