Hardest achievement in sport?

Killiesquirrel

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

10 wickets in an innings? If I recall correctly only two players have managed it in test cricket.

I suppose in cricket it's such a statistical game there are many options for hardest achievement.

Brian Lara getting a quadruple century for example is excellent, but he's the only person to have managed it in test cricket. Does that make it too rare to count?

10 wickets in an innings? If I recall correctly only two players have managed it in test cricket.

I suppose in cricket it's such a statistical game there are many options for hardest achievement.

Brian Lara getting a quadruple century for example is excellent, but he's the only person to have managed it in test cricket. Does that make it too rare to count?

I doubt it - but in some ways he's a way to go before Bradman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Bradman#Statistical_summary

Anyone ever won a GP from starting last?

Jenson Button went from last to first in about 30 laps in Canada a few years back. Not impossible in poor weather conditions.

Did Lara not go better than that and score 501*?

Did Lara not go better than that and score 501*?

That wasn't in a test.

Also, huge individual scores generally don't mean anything in cricket beyond personal significance. Lara hit 375 and 400 in a test and 501 in a county match, all 3 matches were drawn.

His 153 not out to almost single handedly win a test vs a brilliant Australia team was a far more important score.

2000 yards rushing in American football.

Tennis would have to be winning all 4 slams in the calender year.

Special note is the French and Wimbledon so close to one another on different surfaces.

I think Steffi Graf won all slams in a calender year (88, whilst also winning olympic gold)

If we are sticking to accomplishments that are possible and highly sought after, I think a golf or tennis grad slam is the hardest individual achievement in sports.

Agree it`s certainly not a hole-in-one. I`ve had 2, 13th at Scotscraig (Tayport) and 7th at Aberdour.

Hit the pin on 2 or 3 other occasions as well in the 40 years or so i`ve played golf.

As Jupe says a scratch 59 at golf is pretty special. Is it still the case that it`s never been done in a European tour event?

Achieving a 147 is the most difficult in my opinion. Potting 36 balls consecutively requires extreme precision and some nerve.

I'd say a 9 darter comes second though and again requires more class than luck.

A hole in one can have achievable by anyone who can hit a golf ball however. Someone who maybe has double figures in their career can maybe claim the achievement. I'd still out this below the other two.

• 4 weeks later...

What about the Hour record in track cycling?

The record was recently broken by Alex Dowsett when he travelled 52.937km in an hour earlier this year and Bradley Wiggins is planning to attempt to break it later this year.

What about the Hour record in track cycling?

The record was recently broken by Alex Dowsett when he travelled 52.937km in hour earlier this year and Bradley Wiggins is planning to attempt to break it later this year.

I liked when Obree narrowly missed it on a factory bike & Boardman laughed, having planned for weeks on his single attempt. Then was gobsmacked when Obree tried again the next day on his own bike & broke it!

Archived