Thinking about doing my HGV

Addie

Anyone on here done it? Would you recommend driving as a career?

I am seriously thinking about a complete career change and as I enjoy driving, don't mind working unusual hours thought about Lorry Driving. I am looking at the sites and going to do more research when I'm on holiday next week but thought I'd find out from anyone who does do this for a living to see if it is truly for me.

Thanks in advance.

My ex workmate left to do this last year , age 21.

He loves it, courses were pricey, hourly rate shite (@£9 I think) , but if stuck in harbour like he is a lot awaiting loading, time and a half for the fat bassa for the whole weekend.

Downsides....

Booze. No go, even day before.

Service stations. Pricey as feck even for laying up in your cab for the night (£30 I think for some) , so he usually ends up in laybys which has the Stan acollymore stamp of approval and gets no sleep anyway, even with the doors locked :lol:

Advice?

You want a change. Do it.

Why don't you try driving a bus?

Bus company will put you through your test then after a couple of years experience throwing a double decker around,I'm pretty sure that only minimum hgv lessons will be required.

My lad has been driving buses for about 4 years now and he earns a decent wage, especially driving the night buses for a few shifts a week.

Why don't you try driving a bus?

Bus company will put you through your test then after a couple of years experience throwing a double decker around,I'm pretty sure that only minimum hgv lessons will be required.

My lad has been driving buses for about 4 years now and he earns a decent wage, especially driving the night buses for a few shifts a week.

The whole point of HGV as opposed to psv, is you don't have to speak to the drunk, smelly, pram pushing benefit clutching public....

As long as you enjoy driving, get into it.

Driving about listening to your own choice of tunes/radio station/audio book with no annoying workmates or arsehole gaffers to get on your nerves, eyeing up attractive looking females (potential victims) from a great vantage point while your mates are stuck in their offices/factories looking at the same stupid faces everyday, getting revenge on those c***s who don't indicate at roundabouts by slowly cutting across their paths in your 40 foot truck and taking an eternity to exit said roundabout, and loads more reasons.

Feeling tired at work? Pull over and jump into the bunk behind the seats and have a snooze while dreaming about your bloodshot-eyed friends struggling to keep their eyes open at their desk/production line/workbench.

The main problem used to be the vicious circle of employers always wanting at least 2 years experience, but there is a massive shortage of HGV drivers in the UK just now and employers and agencies are much more relaxed even allowing for up to 9 points on your license in some instances.

My main bit of advice though would be to study hard on the best way to dispose of a prostitutes body as this is the main stumbling block for some in the theory test.

Its quite the commitment Addie.

I know because I've seen 'Big Trouble in Little China' and 'Over the Top' several times, so I think i know a little bit about truck driving.

What about Ice Road Truckers? Great programme, that.

So basically the money is shit, the only chance of getting laid is shagging a hooker (if I save up enough and avoid service stations) and potentially develop cabin fever. I think that covers it.

I will look at other options. :(

I feel bad now, the horrible feeling of having crushed someone's dream.

I mind accidentally going into the free buffet drivers section on The Stena Line and the meal that I accidentally helped myself to was very decent. Then a crew of them/us went downstairs to the soft seating kiddies cinema thing and watched Toy Story.

Soz for picking the wrong anecdote, they c***s are living the life.

getting revenge on those c***s who don't indicate at roundabouts by slowly cutting across their paths in your 40 foot truck and taking an eternity to exit said roundabout

This sounds incredibly appealing. They should put this in the job adverts.

Archived