Stranraer v Morton

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange how people are calling for Duffy to resign even if we win the league, didn't believe we would win the league at the start of the season. Most, if not all, took Dunfermline to win it if I remember correctly.

Strange how people are calling for Duffy to resign even if we win the league, didn't believe we would win the league at the start of the season. Most, if not all, took Dunfermline to win it if I remember correctly.

Aye , and handsomely too.

To get back to the big game... we have the unusual situation of being aware of the Forfar score prior to kick off. Be interesting to see how this might impact on how our game will pan out. I fear a draw on Saturday, which will consign us to the play offs ,I believe. I really hope I'm wrong in this because I don't particularly fancy our chances there.

There's been quite a few examples of a club firing their manager at a time when their club is doing decent. More recently a situation like Southampton springs to mind when there was outrage that Nigel Adkins was fired after getting Southampton to the Premier League, now they've progressed so much to the point that they're having one of their best seasons ever while Adkins is unemployed after being sacked by a championship team.

Wasn't Duffy fired by Dundee with them near or at the top of the league aswell? They obviously knew what a shitehawk he is.

There's been quite a few examples of a club firing their manager at a time when their club is doing decent. More recently a situation like Southampton springs to mind when there was outrage that Nigel Adkins was fired after getting Southampton to the Premier League, now they've progressed so much to the point that they're having one of their best seasons ever while Adkins is unemployed after being sacked by a championship team.

Wasn't Duffy fired by Dundee with them near or at the top of the league aswell? They obviously knew what a shitehawk he is.

Bomber Brown sacked whilst Dundee were top of the league last season too. Still won the league and have done relatively well for their first season back in the top flight.

Bomber Brown sacked whilst Dundee were top of the league last season too. Still won the league and have done relatively well for their first season back in the top flight.

Dundee also sacked Cowboy McCormack ( I just saw that his middle name is Duffy btw :unsure: ) when they were top of the old first division. What a ruthless shower of cnuts the Dundee boards have been over the years :guns

Most took Dunfermline to win it BECAUSE Duffy was our manager. That Dunfermline have been rotten beyond belief, and we're still struggling says it all...

Dundee also sacked Cowboy McCormack ( I just saw that his middle name is Duffy btw :unsure: ) when they were top of the old first division. What a ruthless shower of cnuts the Dundee boards have been over the years :guns

They sacked Jim Duffy, John Brown and John McCormack. Dundee is a beautiful club. Well apart from the fact that they were stupid enough to hire them in the first place.

John Brown to replace Duffy then.

Don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Conor Pepper has agreed a one year extension to his current deal. Good piece of business, in my opinion.

Well, that's pleasing. Great player and a good addition to our soon to - hopefully - be, championship side.

I felt sorry for you so here's a wee bite!

"I don't think so pal. Not that we've been told!"

Now you can feel like you're proper clever.

Don't feel sorry just quoting what I was told. Thought it was a bit strange myself.

Don't see it mentioned anywhere.

Conor Pepper has agreed a one year extension to his current deal. Good piece of business, in my opinion.

Technically he originally signed a two year deal when he first joined, but it all means the same thing, which is pleasing.

The fact that you consider the above to be both ruthless and somehow also wrong from the board of a supposedly professional, full-time football club says it all really. Go and watch a junior outfit if staying loyal to rubbish nobodies is important to you.

Technically he originally signed a two year deal when he first joined, but it all means the same thing, which is pleasing.

Just read that there.

A midfield three of Pepper, Tidser and Forbes is very appealing.

A ruthless decision that won them the league, whereas we stood by McCormack when our form collapsed, ended up fourth, eleven points off the league winners, and rewarded McCormack with a new contract. Decisive and correct decision making from the Dundee board of the time, rank stupidity from Morton.

That you can actually find areas where Dundee have been a more competently run club than Morton during Rae's tenure is about the most damning indictment possible. Dundee for fucks sake.

A ruthless decision that won them the league, whereas we stood by McCormack when our form collapsed, ended up fourth, eleven points off the league winners, and rewarded McCormack with a new contract. Decisive and correct decision making from the Dundee board of the time, rank stupidity from Morton.

That you can actually find areas where Dundee have been a more competently run club than Morton during Rae's tenure is about the most damning indictment possible. Dundee for fucks sake.

I'm not completely sure that it was 'rank stupidity' from Rae. The real collapse under Cowboy came very late on. While our form had stuttered, and a decent Airdrie side closed in, it was only really in April with the capitulation against Hamilton that our form totally collapsed. You could argue that Cowboy should have been sacked after the 6-1 defeat against Hamilton, I think that's the only point that the argument would have been really valid. But at the same time he led us to 5 wins in the last 5 matches the previous season, so you can see the thought behind retaining him for the last 5 of that season.

I don't always think it's the right thing to do to sack a manager, even when they're struggling. Statistically it's neither here nor there really. You can look at example of bringing in Tony Pulis and the like, and how they can turn a struggling club around. Or the way in which Pochettino replaced Adkins and moved Southampton forward (It's sometimes clear that despite form not being distasterous there could be a change for the better). But sometimes sticking by a manager can pay off as well, even if just in the short term.

A club will never get every decision right. That would be impossible in any case. Retaining Cowboy for the following season was a strange one. It was a case of Rae showing too much loyality one moment and then snatching it away in the September - either retain him and give him a chance or make a clean break, this was a disaster in the end. That's the real problem with Morton under Rae - it's all made up as we go along. There are mistakes that I can accept, including hanging onto Cowboy, McInally, and Moore for too long. But add that to the appointments of Duffy, Irons, Daisy, Grady, and it all add up to too much. And it's the sum of things that's the problem. There's no vision, no structure, just one decision after another made by someone who obviously doesn't have the right judgement.

Archived