The Famous Aberdeen's European Tour 2015/16

Just back from a night out so excuse my slavering gibberish, Aberdeen played well tonight but weren't clinical enough. The fact that the second team in Scotland now has to play 4 rounds to even qualify for the Europa league is a joke. No matter the quality of leagues, each country should be fairly represented. Mon the Dons in the league. If Celtic qualify for the Champs league groups then they should at least be challenging them for the majority of the season.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You kindly took that title off us when you got papped out by those Armenian hill-walkers, chump.

You almost got beaten by double figures, we went out on away goals...

Aye saints result wasn't embarassing, just really disappointing.

Yup. The Hibs result tops it. I probably won't even remember the scores of these St. Johnstone games in a year's time. Well, HJ will probably remind us all soon enough as he campaigns to find a worse result than the Malmo drubbing.

I thought we played quite well last night but lacked any sort of cutting edge.

Also thought they were not a bad side and better than anyone we'll play in the league except Celtic.

A lot of crap gets spouted when you get knocked out of Europe by a team from a place like Kazakhstan, mainly due to ignorance. Ironically if we had been beaten by the Croatian team people would have thought that that is par for the course, but we pumped them, beating a team we weren't expected to, just like Groningen last season. How many teams from Scotland have progressed past teams they're not expected to lately? St Johnstone and Rosenberg is the only example I can think of off the top of my head.

It's a sad state of affairs for the Scottish game to be ranked so low that it's nigh on impossible to get from Q1 to groups. If you look through the last few years hardly anyone manages it.

Disappointing for Aberdeen. They seem to be building a decent team but time and again they struggle to get over the finishing line when it matters. I was hopeful that after the second leg to Rijeka when they came back from 2-0 and won through to the next round here that they had dealt with that, but after last night I'm not sure.

Out of interest, why does Rooney not play in the bigger games? Is he viewed in a similar vein to Kris Boyd? Good at swatting the diddies aside but not enough to his game when it comes to playing at a higher level?

Goodwillie's hold up play is immense, probably due to him having one of the best first touches in the league. It means he's ideal for a game where we'd likely be under the kosh for a while. He can then release it to our runners from midfield. Rooney is a simple penalty box striker so when we are applying the pressure he's the dream ticket in the box.

9-0 :lol: 113 years. :lol: Relegation parties :lol:

Nice to see you're still absolutely rattled by the defeat. I would be too tbh.

You almost got beaten by double figures, we went out on away goals...

We went out to a very good team (who have gone on to prove that since we played them) that we were expected to lose to. You went out to absolute diddies that you were odds-on favourites to beat both home and away. Deal with it.

We played alright last night but then end product wasn't there, too many wasted crosses and didn't work their keeper enough. Can't complain over the two legs, Kairat are a decent team though I don't expect them to go further than the playoff round.

Still, got through a round further than most expected and we can take some positives from the campaign to build on next year should we be in the competition again.

Feels like this one is one that got away, however ultimately Kairat just had that bit more quality in the final third than we did, what money can get you. Nonetheless, I have very few grumbles about the performance - we dominated the match from start to finish but struggled to break down a superbly organised Kairat back line. Their shape and positional discipline was outstanding.

We probably should have run at them more directly, but Hayes wasn't right (times off the ball where he was limping and I don't think he'd have played a domestic game) and McGinn until his free kick for the goal was very poor. These things happen. Pleasingly we didn't throw the towel in and chased the game, perhaps unlucky with the Quinn header right at the end - an outstanding save from the keeper. There was much to enjoy and praise about our performance last night, and it was recognised by the crowd at the end.

Kairat's playacting was fairly standard Eastern European/Central Asian stuff - Minsk did exactly the same in Perth 2 years ago. The time wasting and cheating was embarrassing, ultimately though Scottish teams are too nice, too sportsmanlike and allow it to happen. Adam Rooney should have just buried it when he had the chance, it wasn't an injury and there was no need to be nice and play it back. Their team at the end were a fair disgrace too, particularly number 4, Bruno (I think).

Sadly the European adventure is over but we can look back on an outstanding win over Rijeka and a decent account of ourselves against Kairat. If we qualify for next season, we have to improve our home win record in Europe as it is letting us down badly.

It is pretty disappointment. You would think our 2nd best team in Scotland would have enough to beat a team from Kazakhstan over 2 legs.

It's a huge disappointment.

Don't rate that side at all.

They could barely get out of their own half for most of the match. No composure coming out of defence whatsoever.

Been a while too since I've seen the old play acting, cynical fouling and extreme time wasting on such a monumental scale.

the fact they had to resort to all that also points to them not being anywhere near as good a side as some appear to believe.

From AFC's perspective, cutting edge was sorely lacking, and a poor final ball from countless opportunities well created in the build up, has undone us.

McGinn had enough chances to win the ties on his own when though on keep twice from wide positions but lacked the coolness of thought to make it count.

He had an awful 2nd half. Logan an awful 1st half. Looked pissed.

Even more annoying given that Kairat have drawn Bordeaux. Definitely one of the more winnable ties.

For us anyway. I'd expect them to dispose of Kairat without much issues though.

It's a huge disappointment.

Don't rate that side at all.

They could barely get out of their own half for most of the match. No composure coming out of defence whatsoever.

Been a while too since I've seen the old play acting, cynical fouling and extreme time wasting on such a monumental scale.

the fact they had to resort to all that also points to them not being anywhere near as good a side as some appear to believe.

From AFC's perspective, cutting edge was sorely lacking, and a poor final ball from countless opportunities well created in the build up, has undone us.

McGinn had enough chances to win the ties on his own when though on keep twice from wide positions but lacked the coolness of thought to make it count.

He had an awful 2nd half. Logan an awful 1st half. Looked pissed.

Even more annoying given that Kairat have drawn Bordeaux. Definitely one of the more winnable ties.

For us anyway. I'd expect them to dispose of Kairat without much issues though.

That was their gameplan. They were happy to absorb our poor balls into the box and break on us/capitalise on our mistakes. Don't be fooled.

Ultimately we didn't do enough, I felt they would score at least 1 so was always going to be our ability to convert dominance into goals. In reality they didn't allow us to and our final ball was sadly lacking all night.

Very disappointing but glad they got the standing ovation they did at the end. We finally have a team to be proud of, if the quality is not always there the attitude and effort very much is.

Seen enough from this team to suggest we can go on and have a very good season.

Archived