Direction In Life

Work are training me to be a manager at the moment, but i'm not so sure i can stick out being in a call centre for good so i have tried to have a think recently and came up blank.

Nothing wrong with this line of work, unless you can think of a dream job. Getting a manager role in a CC is a golden ticket.... get yourself 2 years experience leading teams and you will get a job in any CC you want.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Get a trade son, you will go far.....

A house in the 'ferry?

On a sensible note, if you are of school leaving age and have no idea what to do with your life, a trade is not the worst thing to do, especially if it's in an engineering environment.

A trade is perfect for some people, lots of the people i knew were happy as Larry doing it as you can show up to work do what you can, down tools then f**k off at 5 o clock and weekends off. Was a good time for me but eventually you want more out of it, plus the work is often in bad weather and physically demanding which can catch up with you in later life

Its obviously hard to gauge exactly how you feel but you seem to have a sort of dry sense of humour about it at least or maybe I'm wrong? It just reads as one absolute disaster after another, and if it was a work of fiction i would find it hilarious but it obviously isn't! surely you are making things seem a lot worse than they are for you?!

Sometimes I find it amusing, other times I find it absolutely crushing, although most of the time I don't really have any feelings on it. I usually just try not to think about it.

Sometimes I find it amusing, other times I find it absolutely crushing, although most of the time I don't really have any feelings on it. I usually just try not to think about it.

Im probably in the same boat as you although i can find the funny side more often than not and turn it into a joke. My family and GF have told me how negative i come across all the time, I'm not really negative all the time i go through phases but all these problems are brought on by my student life - i slagged off my time working in the building game and said it was a shit of a life but up until leaving i had never suffered any sort of depression (apart from Monday mornings) anxiety or any genuine self doubt or concerns about my self worth until the last year or so when i have moved on in life in attempt to get something better for myself. I put it down to too much time on my hands

For me, all this is basically down to what kind of character you are.

Me? I've never really known what I wanted to do with my life and I've just drifted and kind of accepted there would be good and bad periods and that ultimately it might not work out well. Whatever I've done, and I've done lots, I've always had some kind of feeling that I felt like I wanted to move on pretty soon. I'm just one of those people who feels a kind of dissatisfaction with whatever I'm doing and dreams and imagines that something else, virtually anything else, is going to be some kind of nirvana. The theme tune of my life would be 'The Littlest Hobo'.

At the end of the day I don't think you can really defeat or constrain your own character if you want to feel any semblance of happiness. If you are that kind of person, then aiming to find some kind of plan that will 'cure' you of your aimlessness probably isn't going to work. You just have to accept that you are never going to be the kind of person that settles down.

I joined Royal Mail straight from school and left after a couple of years because being a postie in the winter months is pretty shitty. After that I didn't have a proper job for about 8 years. I was a musician, never had two pennies to rub together but I had a great time, the happiest of my life. Then circumstances changed and I went into the suit and tie world, left that to go to university, did a lot of freelance and voluntary work after leaving university and might be going back into the suit and tie world again soon.

Periods of my life have been tough but I wouldn't have had it any other way. Some people might qualify as accountants and then work in accountancy for 40 years and then retire but I know myself well enough to know a life like that just wasn't ever an option for me.

I literally have no idea what I'll be doing a year from now, sometimes that's daunting, especially since I'm older now and worry more about finances, but it's how I've always been and will always be.

No idea why, but I always get the feeling you have a pretty interesting life based on here and Steelmen.

I was only playing on the old Superstar Tradesmen lyrics, but getting a trade was actually the best thing I did.

I know it's not easy to just pick a trade and go get a job, but I would suggest that Plumbing and Electrical seem to be the best for continuity of work. Even if the building trade crumbles, there's plenty of repair/maintenance work in these sectors.

I was only playing on the old Superstar Tradesmen lyrics, but getting a trade was actually the best thing I did.

I know it's not easy to just pick a trade and go get a job, but I would suggest that Plumbing and Electrical seem to be the best for continuity of work. Even if the building trade crumbles, there's plenty of repair/maintenance work in these sectors.

Reported for a Nepal joke.

I wanted sparky or plumber got got bricky work and half took to it and settled for it for a while - it doesn't really open up any other windows for you where as a plumber/electrician can be a good start into engineering plus good for going offshore

• 2 weeks later...

Every c**t is just winging it.

Correctly massively greenied.

There's a fantastic, horrifying, comforting realisation that I suppose most of us come to at different points when you finally notice at work / in business that so few people really know what they're doing, even at huge progressive companies, even the 'experts'; so few people really give a f**k about what they're doing; so few people have a well thought out plan for how they're going to get to where they want to be in 5 years, if they even think they know where they want to be.

Motivation to work/live still almost always comes back to the absolute basic drivers - food on the table, clothes on the back, roof over the head. The rest largely as has been pointed out is seeing tits and the related procreative urge.

Since I started 'travelling' last January I've taken up jobs in construction, landscaping, event set-up and spent 3 months working at sea.

It might kind of feel like you're wasting a couple of years by doing it but it's given me experience in a load of different types of work that I wouldn't have had back home.

Were you the one who posted a while back about thinking about going on a working holiday in Canada? If so, glad you went through with it! Story so far?

For me, all this is basically down to what kind of character you are.

Me? I've never really known what I wanted to do with my life and I've just drifted and kind of accepted there would be good and bad periods and that ultimately it might not work out well. Whatever I've done, and I've done lots, I've always had some kind of feeling that I felt like I wanted to move on pretty soon. I'm just one of those people who feels a kind of dissatisfaction with whatever I'm doing and dreams and imagines that something else, virtually anything else, is going to be some kind of nirvana. The theme tune of my life would be 'The Littlest Hobo'.

I know it's not necessarily related to what you're talking about, but this reminded me of Wait But Why's take on procrastination.

Nah, I plan on trying to get a visa for Canada once my second year finishes out here, though.

I really would recommend Australia for anyone aged between 18 and 32. Jobs are generally easy to come by and relatively well paid and there is a shit load to do once you've saved up a good bit of money.

Hats, you say?

GLOVES!

I was lucky to end up on sky.com, skyGo and all that when I worked at the call centre. Don't think I'd have lasted anywhere near the seven years that I was there if I was dealing with irate customers every day. I'd have been sacked quite sharpish.

It served it's purpose though and I'm in a much better job with a hoor of an increase in wages partly as a result of the experience that working in such a place afforded me.

We've been lucky that we made a fair bit of cash on houses that makes things a good deal more manageable as well.

Buy a shite hoose and do it up would be my advice!

It served it's purpose though and I'm in a much better job with a hoor of an increase in wages partly as a result of the experience that working in such a place afforded me.

I agree with this. As much as Call Centre work is shite, and I spent the best part of a decade thinking that, it's not as bad as it's made out IF you take advantage when you can. All those sales courses and fine tuning your ability to bull shit with the best of them are fantastic for your future prospects. I know I certainly wouldn't be doing what I am if it wasn't for that.

pretty much in the same boat as all you in this thread, have no idea at all what to be up to. 27 in a few months and have winged it so far. worked in every job imaginable and recently completed my BA in Business Studies which was a pretty worthless degree in the 1st place when doing it a few years ago but finished it nonetheless at night school. Contemplating going into a postgrad in secondary teaching to do Business & Admin but I know deep down I won't have the patience for the petulant c***s I'd be teaching. Currently working in a call centre which I hate much like everyone on the thread has touched upon. At a stage now where I'm scared of being stuck in a relatively low paid job, trying to find a route to getting something I semi enjoy at least. Can relate to posters saying they struggle to get out of bed due to being skint feeling hopeless etc. Felt like this in the past. Wish I was more tuned into what apprenticeships were when I left school, this was never portrayed as an option to me from either teachers at school or at home. The decided path seemed to be college/uni as I was a pretty smart guy at school. Then drink, drugs and gambling came into play.

Currently researching engineering type courses and such like to see what I could salvage out of my next 40 years.

Archived