Direction In Life

Left school at 16, one year at college, got a job as a Trainee Quantity Surveyor with a contractor at 17, they put me through my qualifications at the college, left that after I had done my time, I'm now 22, nearly 23 and work as a QS in the cooncil on flexible hours and better pay/shit hot pension.

Do i regret it? Absolutely. An utter fucking calamity of a situation to find myself in.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The older I get the more I realise that the word 'balance' is pretty much the answer we're all looking for. Balance and perspective. Plan for tomorrow without forgetting to live for today. Balance.

In terms of being happy I saw a thing a few years ago that stuck. Basically the more you are a part of something bigger - the happier you are. So if you feel like you're a part of your local community, if you feel like you're part of something positive at work, even being a member on this forum - its about belonging to something bigger, and making a positive contribution.

We all need support structures in life (at some point) and the more places that you belong, the more support structures you'll have.

Before becoming a teacher I volunteered in a youth organisation in Govan and it was genuinely one of the happiest experiences in my life. I still keep in touch with the place and will be looking to get involved in something similar up here (when the kids grow up a bit). I love the feeling of being a part of the school community. The social events in schools really make you feel like you're a part of something bigger.

The older I get the more I realise that the word 'balance' is pretty much the answer we're all looking for. Balance and perspective. Plan for tomorrow without forgetting to live for today. Balance.

In terms of being happy I saw a thing a few years ago that stuck. Basically the more you are a part of something bigger - the happier you are. So if you feel like you're a part of your local community, if you feel like you're part of something positive at work, even being a member on this forum - its about belonging to something bigger, and making a positive contribution.

We all need support structures in life (at some point) and the more places that you belong, the more support structures you'll have.

Before becoming a teacher I volunteered in a youth organisation in Govan and it was genuinely one of the happiest experiences in my life. I still keep in touch with the place and will be looking to get involved in something similar up here (when the kids grow up a bit). I love the feeling of being a part of the school community. The social events in schools really make you feel like you're a part of something bigger.

Definitely. Balance between work and leisure is important as well. I regularly turn down the option of overtime at the moment because I don't want to spend all my time at work. Fair enough it's more money but it's important to have the time to enjoy what you've got already.

I can relate to a lot of stuff on this thread. Im now 30 and I still have zero fucking clue what I want to do with my life. All I know is that I dont want to be stuck in an office doing admin Mon-Fri like Im currently doing. I have absolutely zero interest and zero passion for it, and Im frankly wasting my time. I feel every day I get closer to being found out. Im actively in the process of looking for other jobs, but theyll be stop gaps as well.

When I was younger I wanted to be a fireman. However I was told that wasnt possible as Im short sighted. After that, I had zero idea what I wanted to do. I coasted along at High School. I enjoyed it, but had no plan. I got mostly Cs in 5th and 6th year (except in P.E. where I got an A) as I was only interested in playing football and didnt study once. It was only in 6th year that I realised Id have to do something. All my friends were going to uni, so I decided Id do the same. I chose Sport, Health & Exercise at Abertay.

This went hilariously bad for me. Id never had much money before, so to suddenly get a big wad of it (back in 2002 the student loan was given in 3 instalments, not monthly) was mental to me. Id also never really been away from home. I went fucking crazy. Ended up skint, utterly destitute, after a month, but had to pay the rent (I had no other income). So I walked in to a bank and got an overdraft (like almost instantly), only to spunk the rest of that after paying my rent. I walked in to another bank and did the same for the next rent (I ended up getting a shite part time job on a sweet stall in the Overgate but quit because I hated it). I have terrifying blanks in my memory from that period. I remember developing serious mental issues and just staying in my room for ages and missing classes. I failed first year of my course because I didnt go to most classes after Christmas and didnt do any exams (except 1, which ironically was psychology). I left with nothing but mental health issues and shamefully went back to my parents house.

I then got a job at Sky (call centre) part time then Bank Of Scotland call centre (full time). This was the most abysmal, dreadful period of my life. I despised it so much and fell in to a really deep and dark depression. I (finally) decided I needed to change things, so decided to go back to uni. I went to Aberdeen uni in 2007 to do Sport & Exercise science. It worked at first, but my mental issues caught up with me and helped me f**k things up. I got in to more debt (I had paid off my 2 overdrafts, but this time got 3) and burned through loads of part time jobs (Sainsburys, Iceland, Dobbies, Pizza Hut, Spar, Asda, a soft play area, caretaker of a building, B&Q, dishwasher, Receptionist, British Heart Foundation, Student Residence Assistant, Holiday Inn, gardener, events company and probably other shit I cant remember). I failed first year. Passed second time, passed 2nd year first time, failed 3rd year then failed it again. Got 4 pay day loans and a credit card to cover shit that I felt helped with my mental issues (which didnt, just made them worse) and plunged me in to even more debt. Eventually had to slink off back to my parents house again in 2012. Was unemployed for a year (although did some shifts at a bar) before getting a temp job at Fife College. Worked in the student finance section, the print room and the enquiry team. Got fired. Moved to my current job in Dundee. Found it ok at first, but now really, really bored every single day and feel Im not living but just existing.

I dont want to live a life where I wake up at a time I dont want to wake up, put on clothes I dont want to wear and go to a job I dont want to be at. Its just trying to find a way to escape this shit, which Im struggling with. Bad habits are creeping back in as it gets worse. I need to break free of it but cant see how. I have zero savings (bad habits..) and feel time is running out (at times I feel its run out; I made a promise years ago that at 30 Id kill myself if I was still trapped, although I never went through with it).

I might be being whooshed here because you've earned 5 greenies for this, but are you ok? You can PM me if you need to talk to someone. Seriously.

I can relate to a lot of stuff on this thread. I’m now 30 and I still have zero fucking clue what I want to do with my life. All I know is that I don’t want to be stuck in an office doing admin Mon-Fri like I’m currently doing. I have absolutely zero interest and zero passion for it, and I’m frankly wasting my time. I feel every day I get closer to being ‘found out’. I’m actively in the process of looking for other jobs, but they’ll be stop gaps as well.

When I was younger I wanted to be a fireman. However I was told that wasn’t possible as I’m short sighted. After that, I had zero idea what I wanted to do. I coasted along at High School. I enjoyed it, but had no plan. I got mostly Cs in 5th and 6th year (except in P.E. where I got an A) as I was only interested in playing football and didn’t study once. It was only in 6th year that I realised I’d have to do something. All my friends were going to uni, so I decided I’d do the same. I chose Sport, Health & Exercise at Abertay.

This went hilariously bad for me. I’d never had much money before, so to suddenly get a big wad of it (back in 2002 the student loan was given in 3 instalments, not monthly) was mental to me. I’d also never really been away from home. I went fucking crazy. Ended up skint, utterly destitute, after a month, but had to pay the rent (I had no other income). So I walked in to a bank and got an overdraft (like almost instantly), only to spunk the rest of that after paying my rent. I walked in to another bank and did the same for the next rent (I ended up getting a shite part time job on a sweet stall in the Overgate but quit because I hated it). I have terrifying blanks in my memory from that period. I remember developing serious mental issues and just staying in my room for ages and missing classes. I failed first year of my course because I didn’t go to most classes after Christmas and didn’t do any exams (except 1, which ironically was psychology). I left with nothing but mental health issues and shamefully went back to my parent’s house.

I then got a job at Sky (call centre) part time then Bank Of Scotland call centre (full time). This was the most abysmal, dreadful period of my life. I despised it so much and fell in to a really deep and dark depression. I (finally) decided I needed to change things, so decided to go back to uni. I went to Aberdeen uni in 2007 to do Sport & Exercise science. It worked at first, but my mental issues caught up with me and helped me f**k things up. I got in to more debt (I had paid off my 2 overdrafts, but this time got 3) and burned through loads of part time jobs (Sainsburys, Iceland, Dobbies, Pizza Hut, Spar, Asda, a soft play area, caretaker of a building, B&Q, dishwasher, Receptionist, British Heart Foundation, Student Residence Assistant, Holiday Inn, gardener, events company and probably other shit I can’t remember). I failed first year. Passed second time, passed 2nd year first time, failed 3rd year then failed it again. Got 4 pay day loans and a credit card to cover shit that I felt helped with my mental issues (which didn’t, just made them worse) and plunged me in to even more debt. Eventually had to slink off back to my parent’s house again in 2012. Was unemployed for a year (although did some shifts at a bar) before getting a temp job at Fife College. Worked in the student finance section, the print room and the enquiry team. Got fired. Moved to my current job in Dundee. Found it ok at first, but now really, really bored every single day and feel I’m not living but just existing.

I don’t want to live a life where I wake up at a time I don’t want to wake up, put on clothes I don’t want to wear and go to a job I don’t want to be at. It’s just trying to find a way to escape this shit, which I’m struggling with. Bad habits are creeping back in as it gets worse. I need to break free of it but can’t see how. I have zero savings (bad habits..) and feel time is running out (at times I feel it’s run out; I made a promise years ago that at 30 I’d kill myself if I was still trapped, although I never went through with it).

Never mind! There's always the Pars!

Lucky white

I have no complaints really. Life has thrown some shit at me but I wanted to be a mechanical engineer, and I was for 13 years or so, then got pissed off being pushed more into a sales role.

Jumped, did my PGCE (at 35) and became a Maths teacher and loved it ever since. Really enjoying my current job.

I went to uni to study civil engineering because I came out of school with zero guidance and did what my dad had done.

Jacked it in 2nd year and didn't really find my way until I was in my late twenties when the lightbulb switched on and I realised I had to get the finger out.

Now 32 and have a house, family and a job that I enjoy and pays way more than where I thought I'd be even two years ago.

Fucked if I know how that happened.

Similar story to Mikey RE knowing I'd taken the wrong path a few weeks into Uni but inexplicably not changing.

Had good and bad luck after. Job offer that I thought I really wanted fell through straight after I'd left with a shite degree. Worked a few hours a week in a voluntary role just to keep something other than call centre on my CV and turned it into a proper job that I'm interested in and fairly good at.

Like a lot of you, the thing I want to do now is a bit of travelling, whilst I'm still young and beautiful. Sorting it is slow progress because I'm a chronic procrastinator/lazy c**t but I'm working towards it.

Well, I suppose I'm not in the boat alone then...

I've been thinking about going back into education to pursue something that I know for sure I'd like to do but I was thinking I was a bit too old but it seems it's not uncommon to go back into higher education in your 20s.

Well, I suppose I'm not in the boat alone then...

I've been thinking about going back into education to pursue something that I know for sure I'd like to do but I was thinking I was a bit too old but it seems it's not uncommon to go back into higher education in your 20s.

I was 22 when I started uni and I wasn't the oldest in my class. I was the oldest in my flat in the student halls though and I did feel a bit out of place. I was only 4 or 5 years older than everyone else but at that age the difference seems greater. Everyone else was straight out of school whereas I'd spent the previous four years working full time in a psychiatric hospital.

As for direction, well I'll be 40 this year and I still haven't got a clue about what to do with my life. No car, no kids, no mortgage. My lifestyle hasn't changed since I was in my early 20s. I only went to uni for the social life and because it was an easy way to move away from Montrose. Since graduation I've been stuck in a boring office job. I used to hate it but now I'm too numb to care. I've been right through the Kubler-Ross model and I'm now at the acceptance stage. I've become more cynical and nihilistic as I've got older and that is for the best. I've freed myself from the shackles of giving a f**k. Low expectations about life reduces the chances of disappointment.

Went to uni and studied a BA. Worked part time in a call centre.

Finished BA. Moved to full time in a call centre (inevitably). 13.5k a year with no student loan to back it up. Good times.

Went into sales and was incredibly successful. This moved me into different roles. Earning a fortune, but completely sad and depressed, blowing wads of my bonus to ease the pain of being fake to everyone in order to get commission from them.

Started my own business and sold as ethically as I could, but I still hated interacting with people with the ambition to take some of their wallet.

Sold business and decided that I wanted to spend the rest of my life helping others, which I now do. I also went back to uni and spend my days either caring for people, learning stuff and spending time with loved ones. Life is great.

To summarise, the almighty buck is a tireless and fruitless pursuit if you don't like yourself. I call this 'the mirror test'. So, to those who are feeling down about the paths they've taken, ask yourself, "What would I be doing if I liked myself better". Then, go do it.

Archived