Record-breaking Champions Hearts v Shambolic Sevco, 02/05/2015

I've now seen that penalty claim a few times and I'll put it into that folder marked "decisions that would merit whichever team it went in favour of feeling that they'd been lucky, while the other side could feel justifiably unlucky"

I also made a note that I should come up with catchier titles for my folders.

• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think he is remembering Hibs were the premier team last season when losing to championship team Hamilton.

Ps. Bell took the ball first then made contact with Sow. However his contact with Sow was not deliberate in any way. Even John Robertson in the sky studio said it wasn't a pen! Lol!

He hits sow first and it looks like he's trying to pull his hands back when the ball hits him.

I can see it both ways but for me it's a penalty, it's certainly more of a pen than the one Andy Davis saw!

Bell made contact with the ball after he made contact with Sow. Does that not matter?

Sow makes sure of colliding with Bell's body at the same time that Bell touches the ball.

Believe me, I was incensed at the time as my posts on here showed. I saw it as a classic case of the attacker nicking it away from the goalkeeper who is committed to the challenge and inevitably therefore commits a foul. Bell clearly wins the ball in the challenge when seen again though and that will be what makes the officials' minds up.

Def penalty and Bell should have walked and missed the next game..... Ah wait it wasn't a pen and he can play, it'll make it that little bit sweeter.

You do know that sometimes the favourites in football games lose, right?

So favourites always win in football then? Is that your point, or do you simply lack one?

Not very edifying. Granted DomDom is merely P&B's resident troll arserimmer - the Chester to a hundred Spikes who resigned in tears when his heroes were banned - and thus a perpetually inferior specimen of oxygen thief, but one expects marginally better from you than this, Monkey Tennis.

Let me explain this to both of you "special needs" case slowly, in words of few syllables.

Lewis Stevenson posted the following:

Obviously the Premiership team are the favourite, they only have one round to play.

Simple stuff.

To which I pointed out that this theorem of "favourites" didn't exactly work out well for Hibernian last year - playing only one round but against one of two sides which had the momentum of success going into the play offs & their morales were sky high, versus a club which had been in freefall for months & morale was now rock bottom.

Ergo, picking a favourite is not as simple as Lewis would have it by rashly picking the club from the "bigger" league with fewer games.

(Albeit to be fair to Lewis, this was probably the method to the Cockwomble's madness when they chose a system they hoped would ensure a third or fourth placed SPFL 1 side would be less likely to win it than a "better" club - never considering in his wildest nightmares Rangers may be one of those 3rd or 4th placed clubs...).

Sow makes sure of colliding with Bell's body at the same time that Bell touches the ball. Believe me, I was incensed at the time as my posts on here showed. I saw it as a classic case of the attacker nicking it away from the goalkeeper who is committed to the challenge and inevitably therefore commits a foul. Bell clearly wins the ball in the challenge when seen again though and that will be what makes the officials' minds up.

Bell hit Sow before he touched the ball, only a second in it but that's the way I saw it, even on their half time replays, if there was a camera at the other side you'd see that, Bells arms were in the way of Sows legs on the angle they used the slow mo on

Not very edifying. Granted DomDom is merely P&B's resident troll arserimmer - the Chester to a hundred Spikes who resigned in tears when his heroes were banned - and thus a perpetually inferior specimen of oxygen thief, but one expects marginally better from you than this, Monkey Tennis.

Let me explain this to both of you "special needs" case slowly, in words of few syllables.

Iike

To which I pointed out that this theorem of "favourites" didn't exactly work out well for Hibernian last year - playing only one round but against one of two sides which had the momentum of success going into the play offs & their morales were sky high, versus a club which had been in freefall for months & morale was now rock bottom.

Ergo, picking a favourite is not as simple as Lewis would have it by rashly picking the club from the "bigger" league with fewer games.

(Albeit to be fair to Lewis, this was probably the method to the Cockwomble's madness when they chose a system they hoped would ensure a third or fourth placed SPFL 1 side would be less likely to win it than a "better" club - never considering in his wildest nightmares Rangers may be one of those 3rd or 4th placed clubs...).

None of which addresses the notion that 11th place is currently favourite over any given Championship side, because Championship ones need to win games first and any given side is relatively unlikely to get to the final, although one definitely will.

The fact that last year's top flight side bombed, has no bearing on this.

Bell hit Sow before he touched the ball, only a second in it but that's the way I saw it, even on their half time replays, if there was a camera at the other side you'd see that, Bells arms were in the way of Sows legs on the angle they used the slow mo on

As I recall, Bell's arms were nowhere near Sow. It was Bell's midriff that Sow clatters into.

The converse argument would be that allowing the 3rd and 4th place teams into the play-offs increased Rangers' chance of promotion on the back of a dicey league season, which it has.

You've had a shitemare here.

As I recall, Bell's arms were nowhere near Sow. It was Bell's midriff that Sow clatters into.

I know

I'm saying his arms blocked the view of sow clattering into bell from the angle the cameras were at

He hits sow first and it looks like he's trying to pull his hands back when the ball hits him.

I can see it both ways but for me it's a penalty, it's certainly more of a pen than the one Andy Davis saw!

I reckon the real question is whether Bell's touch actually got the ball to safety or whether Sow could have competed with Zaliukas for it had he been left upright and that's something we'll never know for sure.

Simply "getting a touch" after going to ground surely can't be license to bring your opponent down with you regardless of what else is going on.

Anyway, mistake or not, that decision provided us with an exciting and competitive match to finish the season with as opposed to a rout so it's all fine..

I was screaming blue murder for a spot kick and sending off at the time, however after seeing it again at half time, I actually think the ref got it right, so fair play to him for that. We deserved to win the game and were the better side by a distance, but it wasn't to be, the very fact we clawed it back to 2-2 was satisfying though, let's hope that the Rangers stay down, and we get a chance to laugh at Hibs choking again too :)

I reckon the real question is whether Bell's touch actually got the ball to safety or whether Sow could have competed with Zaliukas for it had he been left upright and that's something we'll never know for sure.

Simply "getting a touch" after going to ground surely can't be license to bring your opponent down with you regardless of what else is going on.

Anyway, mistake or not, that decision provided us with an exciting and competitive match to finish the season with as opposed to a rout so it's all fine..

I think if sow stays up the chance is gone as the ball is so far wide. For those wanting a video ref this incident shows that even after replays folk still disagree.

I was screaming blue murder for a spot kick and sending off at the time, however after seeing it again at half time, I actually think the ref got it right, so fair play to him for that. We deserved to win the game and were the better side by a distance, but it wasn't to be, the very fact we clawed it back to 2-2 was satisfying though, let's hope that the Rangers stay down, and we get a chance to laugh at Hibs choking again too :)

I think I enjoyed 2-2 more than I would a 4-1 win.

Similarly the 10 man last minute draw at Easter road is probably my favourite memory of the season.

I know

I'm saying his arms blocked the view of sow clattering into bell from the angle the cameras were at

Ah right.

I misread what you meant by "Bell's arms were in the way of Sow".

I still think that the clean contact Bell made with the ball makes all the difference, especially given that Sow made no real attempt to follow the ball, having nicked it wide.

Archived