Clyde FC 2015/16 Thread

Broadwood is too big.

We need a smaller, more compact stadium.

Youngsters who are potential new fans want to have a good match day experience.

Sitting in a cold, sterile, atmosphere free stadium does not lend itself to them returning again and again.

For God sake, it's free for them to go at the moment and still they don't come.

It's time we moved on to a smaller stadium in the heart of a community (not the outer periphery of town).

This means I support the move to Shettleston.

We are just going to throw good money after bad staying at Broadwood. It hasn't worked and never will for reasons stated as well as consuming a large percentage of our income.

Great post. All about opinions and our love for club but not one thing wrong with that post whether you support shettleston or not...

Im not saying shettleston ticks every box before i get anymore of its on your doorstep posts and if club can find a similiar set up in a community whether that be a glencairn.Pollok or who ever & i would travel per and support it..

Just please no to Broadwood for all things mentioned...

We have one more move left & Need to do it right from the start im sure the board are fully aware..

Foreva n eva

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to have attracted the three amigos and can only admire your vision of Clyde as being a "fucking enormous" opportunity. I do not know the background of why Clyde is such a divided club but it seems that sorting out Syria will be an easier proposition.

After 20+ years at Broadwood there is no evidence of any progress and as each year goes by more and more of the old guard drift away never to return and attracting new fans, young or old, is a slow,slow process.

Cumbernauld as a catchment area has potential but I suspect it will be a very long term project. For Clyde to be using the Championship as a staging post on their way to being a major player in the top league is a pipe dream but with that pipe dream is the risk of a financial melt down. Clyde like EF have narrowly escaped disaster in the last five years so on your way to being fucking enormous,remember Icarus.

Great post. All about opinions and our love for club but not one thing wrong with that post whether you support shettleston or not...

Im not saying shettleston ticks every box before i get anymore of its on your doorstep posts and if club can find a similiar set up in a community whether that be a glencairn.Pollok or who ever & i would travel per and support it..

Just please no to Broadwood for all things mentioned...

We have one more move left & Need to do it right from the start im sure the board are fully aware..

Foreva n eva

the problem is no one can come up with a ground where we can make the move

it's not the fans that have prevented moves so far .I have no idea if shettleston is still an option

but we can't go on ad infintum looking at move after move and it falling through. I can appreciate fans don't like Broadwood but seems to.me it's the preferred option by the board with hospitality, better links with NLL and the manager upping it big style.

I seem to have attracted the three amigos and can only admire your vision of Clyde as being a "fucking enormous" opportunity. I do not know the background of why Clyde is such a divided club but it seems that sorting out Syria will be an easier proposition.

After 20+ years at Broadwood there is no evidence of any progress and as each year goes by more and more of the old guard drift away never to return and attracting new fans, young or old, is a slow,slow process.

Cumbernauld as a catchment area has potential but I suspect it will be a very long term project. For Clyde to be using the Championship as a staging post on their way to being a major player in the top league is a pipe dream but with that pipe dream is the risk of a financial melt down. Clyde like EF have narrowly escaped disaster in the last five years so on your way to being fucking enormous,remember Icarus.

icarus ? was he in the Brazilian world cup winning squad of 1970?

Do you want a stadium for free? Wherever we play needs paid for.....

I understand that. However, I do believe that it is better to move to a more suitable stadium for our needs. At Broadwood we are paying rent that we could be using to invest in the club and facilities in the long term.

The money we would save in rent as well as hire of Bellahouston is substantial.

Why continue paying for a large stadium that we can't even half fill one stand?

I agree that the idea of Clyde in the premiership is Pie in the sky and the idea of thousands of Bully Wee fans coming along to watch us on the championship is fantasy. There should be no more chasing pipe dreams.

We should now cut our cloth and cut out losses.

I understand that. However, I do believe that it is better to move to a more suitable stadium for our needs. At Broadwood we are paying rent that we could be using to invest in the club and facilities in the long term.

The money we would save in rent as well as hire of Bellahouston is substantial.

Why continue paying for a large stadium that we can't even half fill one stand?

I agree that the idea of Clyde in the premiership is Pie in the sky and the idea of thousands of Bully Wee fans coming along to watch us on the championship is fantasy. There should be no more chasing pipe dreams.

We should now cut our cloth and cut out losses.

wherever we go we will have to pay rent unless we buy a ground outright then we would have a mortgage I'm sure if you can come up.with a ground where we pay little or nothing the board will jump at it any suggestions ?

Attendances are falling at Broadwood over time. Many initiatives have little or no impact on attendances. If we stay at Broadwood things will not improve as the council limit our income opportunities. I would suggest that as local authority budgets are squeezed they will seek to increase charges. If not this year, next or next decade.

Now that we carry little or no debt this is the time to plan long term and secure our club.

To me, staying at Broadwood will only mean that we continue to struggle financially with no security as we will be at the mercy of local authority cuts etc.

It may not be Shettleston but we should not stop looking for better options as Broadwood is an expensive mistake for Clyde fc and NLL.

I will, however, turn up every match no matter where we play. I just wish more Clyde supporters did the same. Perhaps they don't enjoy freezing their bollocks off in an empty shell of a stadium.

wherever we go we will have to pay rent unless we buy a ground outright then we would have a mortgage I'm sure if you can come up.with a ground where we pay little or nothing the board will jump at it any suggestions ?

The mythical land of East Kilbride perhaps?;)

Attendances are falling at Broadwood over time. Many initiatives have little or no impact on attendances. If we stay at Broadwood things will not improve as the council limit our income opportunities. I would suggest that as local authority budgets are squeezed they will seek to increase charges. If not this year, next or next decade.

Now that we carry little or no debt this is the time to plan long term and secure our club.

To me, staying at Broadwood will only mean that we continue to struggle financially with no security as we will be at the mercy of local authority cuts etc.

It may not be Shettleston but we should not stop looking for better options as Broadwood is an expensive mistake for Clyde fc and NLL.

I will, however, turn up every match no matter where we play. I just wish more Clyde supporters did the same. Perhaps they don't enjoy freezing their bollocks off in an empty shell of a stadium.

maybe fans just got pissed off with a team that was put into a coma for 5 years

so where do move to ?

I have a feeling BF has a fair input where we go (Could be wrong)..

Understand he wants best stadium to attract players but what happens when he leaves one day with his sponsorship mentioned on here,Not by me...

It is a fine line but clubs long term future the most important,Broadwood aint the answer regardless of how lovely it may look & personally id rather our ridiclious rent went into the team than a big empty stadium holding third division games in front of an already current dwindling and ageing support.

How do you know moving wont improve things. Firstly im sure we wont be payin around 40k rent which puts us on the handicap v other 9league teams before a ba is kicked in Aug..

Good luck to this Douglas chap but it seems he has formed a fan club on the back of he haw and suddenly things are all rosey in the garden at Broadwood on this appointment...

Load o shite and short memories indeed...!!!

You would need to ask a board member thats all im sayin

think that's one of the problems nobody except a select few know what the deal would be with shettleston but if it is so good why aren't we closing the deal ?

again moving polarises views , but we need some long term plan I have no idea if this guy Douglas is good or not time will tell but if he does turn out to be positive to the club let's hope we don't chase him like Ronnie, watt et al

Good debate in progress and lots of good points but all of it so far has been with the challenges facing Clyde in isolation, not in the context of Scottish Football as a whole.

The challenges of appealing to fans and increasing crowds are common to every club in the country - especially so for smaller clubs in West Central Scotland - and NO club has managed to find a way to do that. So while community engagement is of course to be encouraged, it's not going to bring in/back fans in any sort of numbers. Particularly to a ground you have to commute to and that is too big to encourage interaction with other fans when you get there.

The reason moving to an area of Glasgow/Greater Glasgow is appealing is the population density does a lot of the work for you in that it increases the potential number of attendees coming and some of them will. It improves the enjoyment of the day too with better transport (or none being needed) and gives options of prolonging your day with other forms of entertainment at hand.

I'm not saying Hettleston is the answer, but something akin would be more enjoyable surely.

The only thing that seems to bring crowds is success and meaningful matches. The format of the SPFL leagues I think will change in the coming years if you look at the work of the SPFL of late and the noises coming from them. Who knows where Clyde's place in this will be but in all probability it will be in a more attractive environment than a ten-team fourth division.

Both points are just food for thought to try and advance the debate.

Two things I think we'd all agree on are that whatever the decision the club take, it won't be universally accepted by the support and many will be angry at it. So they will just have to make the decision they feel is best because they won't please everyone. The other thing is that this is clearly a big decision and so I think we all support the club taking pause to consider things and get it right so making short term leases with NLL for Broadwood is sensible until whatever decision is made.

Of course attendances have been falling over time, the football on offer has been shite, we've alienated a lot of actual and potential Cumbernauld based support by stating our intentions/desire to move away, and more than a few posts on here from a section of our support badmouthing both Broadwood and Cumbernauld. How would attendances not fall in the face of all that? And we've hardly been perfect tenants.

A lot of bridges to be re-built and improved on if we are to stay at Broadwood but everything moves on and with the correct sustained interaction with the community it can be done.

Ask yourselves honestly where you would rather be?

In a ready made decent stadium which may be too big for us right now but has plenty room for us to grow and a large enough capacity to provide decent revenue in the event of a high profile Cup tie, or in a run down Junior ground which will cost a lot of money to bring it up to any decent standard and has very limited space for any kind of expansion, or in a piece of wasteland starting from scratch trying to develop even a basic stadium with money we just don't have.

I know where I would rather be and I also know what I think is the best way forward for the Club, and that's what matters here.

All assuming that we can come to a mutually attractive arrangement with NLL.

Of course attendances have been falling over time, the football on offer has been shite, we've alienated a lot of actual and potential Cumbernauld based support by stating our intentions/desire to move away, and more than a few posts on here from a section of our support badmouthing both Broadwood and Cumbernauld. How would attendances not fall in the face of all that? And we've hardly been perfect tenants.

A lot of bridges to be re-built and improved on if we are to stay at Broadwood but everything moves on and with the correct sustained interaction with the community it can be done.

Ask yourselves honestly where you would rather be?

In a ready made decent stadium which may be too big for us right now but has plenty room for us to grow and a large enough capacity to provide decent revenue in the event of a high profile Cup tie, or in a run down Junior ground which will cost a lot of money to bring it up to any decent standard and has very limited space for any kind of expansion, or in a piece of wasteland starting from scratch trying to develop even a basic stadium with money we just don't have.

I know where I would rather be and I also know what I think is the best way forward for the Club, and that's what matters here.

All assuming that we can come to a mutually attractive arrangement with NLL.

Support from cumbernauld NEVER been there before anything you mention,Its not a dig but the truth

Archived