EU Referendum

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hypothetically, if the UK for some unknown reason vote to leave and Scotland vote for independence on the back of this, would we have successor state status?

You could be opening up a Pandora's Box here with a question like that.

EU, successor states, constitutional law...the wounds have only just healed after indyref

Some people on here probably don't realise the Titanic has sunk, sitting in their haze of slavers, snorters and futile dreams of independence. Magical stuff.

Mature and constructive posts like this really do prove how the hysterical slavering all comes from the pro-Independence camp.

It's a bit of a seething exaggeration to suggest that Sturgeon will have members who disagree with her fed to dogs or strapped to the end of an anti-aircraft gun and obliterated.

While an exaggeration, it's not been officially ruled out? :lol:

Only applies to the opposition at the moment

122255413.jpg

Tories not getting off to a good start on this with Cameron back pedalling on his 'back me or resign threat'.

25% of his Cabinet willing to walk away if they don't get a free vote according to Daily Politics.

Tories not getting off to a good start on this with Cameron back pedalling on his 'back me or resign threat'.

25% of his Cabinet willing to walk away if they don't get a free vote according to Daily Politics.

Cameron's already folded like an old Christmas card, Mrs C needs to give him the trousers back for a wee while, hopefully she'll put a big pair of balls in the pocket for him.

I think what the last few weeks shows us is that the Out/No side have a mountain to climb in terms of winning this. I don't think the Conservatives will split as badly as some have said. I doubt that more than 10% of the Tory backbenchers are die-hard, better-off-out-ers and I'd be amazed if a quarter of the Cabinet resign over a free vote. UKIP have shown they are a major party but they are also a dead end for the Out/No campaign - if you've voted UKIP chances are you're going to vote Out/No anyway and Farage/UKIP are unpalatable to the voters who will need to be won over.

There is a solid conservative case for staying in the EU, both economically and politically, and I think Cameron, Osbourne etc will do a good job of making it to enough Conservative voters to win the referendum. It'll be interesting to see how Labour, Lib Dem and SNP voters break - I think the last polling I saw (a few years ago now) of SNP voters on the EU showed that they were almost as likely as Tory voters to want to leave!

The polls shown on Wikipedia for the issue have a clear lead for Stay.

Scottish polls average as

Stay - 48%

Leave - 33%

Unsure - 18%

the biggest gap is 54%-25% for Stay in the latest poll and the narrowest is 41%-38% for Stay.

Overall UK polling averages

Stay - 47%

Leave - 37%

Unsure - 16%

Biggest gap for Stay is a 52%-32% lead for Stay in April with Leave leading a couple of polls by 44%-41% and 40%-37% in January and February this year.

Stay - 48%

Leave - 33%

Unsure - 18%

the biggest gap is 54%-25% for Stay in the latest poll and the narrowest is 41%-38% for Stay.

Stay - 47%

Leave - 37%

Unsure - 16%

Biggest gap for Stay is a 52%-32% lead for Stay in April with Leave leading a couple of polls by 44%-41% and 40%-37% in January and February this year.

The most important factor will not be how the campaigns go or the current polls, but more the current state of the economy leading up to the referendum. If a recession or another Eurozone crisis erupts, then it will most likely play into the hands of the "No" campaign.

Stay - 48%

Leave - 33%

Unsure - 18%

Stay - 47%

Leave - 37%

Unsure - 16%

Stay are obviously going to win by a landslide. The result of this referendum, like the last one, isn't in doubt.

What's going to be most interesting is the infighting and backstabbing in the Tory party, as a result of the government campaigning for a stay, whilst their crazy backbench lunatic types who haven't got over WW2 yet talk about Bosch plans for European overlordship and undermine Cameron at every opportunity, whilst seething over the British public's rejection of their isolationism.

Should be glorious watching.

Stay - 48%

Leave - 33%

Unsure - 18%

Stay - 47%

Leave - 37%

Unsure - 16%

There's a percent missing from the scottish polls - is that down to a margin of error?

Not that it affects the polling much, but it's bugging me a little.

Stay are obviously going to win by a landslide. The result of this referendum, like the last one, isn't in doubt.

What's going to be most interesting is the infighting and backstabbing in the Tory party, as a result of the government campaigning for a stay, whilst their crazy backbench lunatic types who haven't got over WW2 yet talk about Bosch plans for European overlordship and undermine Cameron at every opportunity, whilst seething over the British public's rejection of their isolationism.

Should be glorious watching.

Wait - did you not predict something similar about the recent election?

I reckon we should just accept there will be a referendum; it's a democratic vote though I agree that 16 & 17 year olds and EU residents living here should be allowed to participate.

Archived