EU Referendum

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably the first thing we have agreed on for a while. Although I am not sure how much is his own doing especially in regards to the franchise.

Its just something about his face that makes me seethe.

Then, as with most things, you think wrong.

The margin of victory for "Stay" here will be way way higher then the cocking No dished out to Yes in the SI referendum.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't believe that a win for "Yes" in the EU referendum is the foregone conclusion that some think.

As has been pointed out elsewhere when people vote in the referendum they may not just vote on the issue of EU membership but also as a means to give the government a kicking. I'm also convinced that those older voters who voted "No" in the SI referendum will do the same in the EU referendum.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. I don't believe that a win for "Yes" in the EU referendum is the foregone conclusion that some think.

As has been pointed out elsewhere when people vote in the referendum they may not just vote on the issue of EU membership but also as a means to give the government a kicking. I'm also convinced that those older voters who voted "No" in the SI referendum will do the same in the EU referendum.

All of the main parties will actively be campaigning to Stay.

Previous polling showed a large increase in Stay when the rider of 'the government of the day will be proposing stay'.

The No campaign will be Nigel Garage, Wing Commander Humphrey Fortescue Smythe, some nutter Tories and the odd racist.

Stay will win by 15 plus points or I'll eat Paddy Ashdowns hat.

IDS takes the crown for worst Tory for me. He has an utter disregard and a not even concealed contempt for those beneath him in society.

This.

I absolutely fucking despise him, even though his laughably poor efforts at welfare reform are keeping me in a job.

As H_B states, all the main parties are campaigning for it and going by the latest information there will be no purdah.

As H_B states, all the main parties are campaigning for it and going by the latest information there will be no purdah.

The opposition to a Yes vote will not be political parties (UKIP apart) but more likely the Murdoch press and the Mail.

Also as referanda in other countries have shown having all political parties on one side does not necessarily make things easier - just look at the rejection in 2001 of the Nice Treaty by Irish voters - that was despite having the full weight of the establishment on their side.

All of the main parties will actively be campaigning to Stay.

Previous polling showed a large increase in Stay when the rider of 'the government of the day will be proposing stay'.

The No campaign will be Nigel Garage, Wing Commander Humphrey Fortescue Smythe, some nutter Tories and the odd racist.

Stay will win by 15 plus points or I'll eat Paddy Ashdowns hat.

Fancy a bet on that? £20 to a nominated charity?

I will.

Maybe it will be third time lucky for you.

;)

Very possibly. Predicting Yes would keep the last one close was a pretty dumb move.

Onwards and upwards though.

I'd be surprised if Murdoch's papers came out in support of withdrawal from the EU, TBH. More likely they'll step up the articles about barmy European mandarins until about six weeks before the referendum, when they'll dramatically come out in support of staying in. Conveniently around the time it becomes obvious that there's no hope of a 'No' vote.

...and it'll be The Sun Wot Won It :rolleyes:

Edit: The meltdown from The Mail on the day after will be fucking hilarious, though. Proper toys oot the pram, threatening to annex the Sudetenland Kent and Essex from the UK kind of stuff. Wonder who'll be to blame, considering immigrants aren't allowed to vote? :P

It would be helpful if we were told if a No vote would mean being in the EEC or out of Europe altogether, because being in the EEC means the Yes side can't use phrases like "cut adrift", "Billy no mates", or even "a leap into the great unknown".

Edit: The meltdown from The Mail on the day after will be fucking hilarious, though. Proper toys oot the pram, threatening to annex the Sudetenland Kent and Essex from the UK kind of stuff. Wonder who'll be to blame, considering immigrants aren't allowed to vote? :P

This is going to be the most entertaining part of this whole campaign. All of the deluded fuckers who think that Britannia is still a global power and rule half the world will all be in meltdown mode.

Perhaps Pie and Bovril can come together to troll the hell out of them nearer the time

This is going to be the most entertaining part of this whole campaign. All of the deluded fuckers who think that Britannia is still a global power and rule half the world will all be in meltdown mode.

Perhaps Pie and Bovril can come together to troll the hell out of them nearer the time

It would actually be a lot funnier if the rage exploded, only to be met by absolute silence from everyone else. 'Cause, y'know, we've got better things to be getting on with.

Even the Mail might find it hard to continue whipping up irrational hatred when it's obvious naebdy cares.

Archived