Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll ask you the same question I asked Anonapersona.

Whit sentence wid ye give tae a murderer ?

I would give a murderer whatever sentence it is that judges generally give a murderer - which varies greatly depending on the circumstances of the crime.

Capital punishment has never stopped murders or crimes from being committed. What does happen though, is that sometimes miscarriages of justice occur and the wrong person goes to prison. It's bad enough to take away years of someone's life by mistake but to actually kill them and realise would be appalling.

What I want to know is why; when it doesn't prevent crime, when it's still as expensive as prision due to the length of time inmates are on Death Row and when it is a cruel and uncivilised way for a society to act; why people want it brought back? There is nothing good about it at all.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should put it on television on Saturday nights. Not because it's moral but it's better than Ant and Dec's Saturday Night Takeaway,

Followed by Rollerball,Jonathon Jonathon Jonathon!!!

High Treason was still punishable by death until 1998. It was abolished in 1965 for all other crimes

So the Tories retained it most of the way through the 1990's? A year after they were kicked out in 1997 it gets abolished.

Well I think there' always going to be a problem with the justice system. It's not fail-safe because it's run by people, and people make mistakes. It's only a matter of time before there's a wrongful execution and for that reason alone it should never be put into practice.

So with that, for the most heinous crimes, life imprisonment should mean life without parole. There's no way Peter Sutcliffe will ever be released.

The last person hanged in the UK, James Hanratty, was pardoned a few years ago. Didn't do him much good given he's been dead for about 60 years though.

Does this also apply in Iraq, Afghanistan and Syria?

Not sure about their laws regarding the death penalty, but I'd wager you could choose safer countries for your serial rampage.

Send us a postcard, anyways.

I didnae word that post correctly.

I meant is it all right for British soldiers tae kill folk in those countries?

I wouldn't have shed too many tears if Tony Blair had been strung up for his treasonable war crimes in Iraq.

Ironically enough it was his government that, in 1998, did away with the death penalty for such crimes.

Do you think the death penalty would be a deterrent to suicide bombers?

The only way to deter a suicide bomber is not to incite them in the first place. Bringing in a police state, barricading important buildings and having swarms of security teams around high value targets is not the way to solve it.

I wouldn't have shed too many tears if Tony Blair had been strung up for his treasonable war crimes in Iraq.

Ironically enough it was his government that, in 1998, did away with the death penalty for such crimes.

People like Tony Blair and big corporate figures have legal and political shields to protect them from the consequences of their crimes. So essentially, they're above the law.

The only way to deter a suicide bomber is not to incite them in the first place. Bringing in a police state, barricading important buildings and having swarms of security teams around high value targets is not the way to solve it.

People like Tony Blair and big corporate figures have legal and political shields to protect them from the consequences of their crimes. So essentially, they're above the law.

You have to wonder just how many became suicide bombers thanks to Tony Blair.

If that Boston bomber kid had carried out his atrocity in Scotland, maybe your own patch, would you be all so liberal and forgiving? He's getting what he deserves, a one way ticket to hell to dine with his brother and their rancid culture. Boston, the most liberal of US cities, 12 of its honest citizens, all came to the same conclusion.

If that Boston bomber kid had carried out his atrocity in Scotland, maybe your own patch, would you be all so liberal and forgiving?

Not everyone's empathy towards others increases/decreases based on their proximity, nationality and creed. Certainly doesn't affect the reasoning involved in being against capital punishment. The emotional response, perhaps.

Not everyone's empathy towards others increases/decreases based on their proximity, nationality and creed. Certainly doesn't affect the reasoning involved in being against capital punishment. The emotional response, perhaps.

A very liberal city decided this killer deserved to pay the capital price and the jurors were prepared to bear that personal burden of condemning this dude. All I'm saying is if that option was available to a jury here, in similar circumstances, they'd probably do the same. And there should be no need for backsliding, liberal hand wringing, all the usual churchmen and apologist voices to stop that verdict. The victims should also have a say, in Tsarnaev's case there were 264 injured, many with terrible injuries.

Archived