Capital Punishment

Capital Punishment  

148 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From look at the U.S. it does not appear to work as a deterrent, so it would therefore only serve as a punishment. If you look at the issues they've had in the U.S. with lethal injection it is safe to say it can no longer be described as humane.

I wouldn't shed any tears for these people but the length of time it often takes with appeals etc doesn't seem to serve anyone.

There are a few lifers in the UK who will never be released. I think there is an argument that this could be applied to more convicted murderers etc depending on the crimes.

To me, it boils down to the fact that the system should be based on justice and not retribution. If there's a chance that an innocent person could be wrongly put to death then I'd rather not risk it.

I'm not comfortable with putting legalised murder into the hands of people who'd rape their own grandmothers for a sniff of a cushy directorship, nor giving power over such decisions to a general populace who'd end up executing paediatricians, or anyone who looked guilty.

As a species, I wouldn't trust us to sit the right way on a toilet seat, never mind make decisions on who gets to live or die.

A mere 50 years ago.

In my lifetime.

Could someone please answer a question which has puzzled me for a long time.

Say someone commits a crime and is sentenced tae 10 years in prison.

I think the usual custom is that he would do 5 years then be let out on licence.

He then commits another crime to which he is sentences tae 10 years.

How long is he in prison for?

It's no an easy decision to make but I would vote tae bring it back in an independent Scotland.

The example I'm using isnae from Scotland but ye should get my drift.

Remember that janitor doon in England that murdered the two wee lassies and then helped the polis tae look for them.

There is nae way he should still be alive.

Remember the Moors murderers.

Is one deid and the other let oot?

I cannae remember but there is no way they should have lived.

instances of people who've reformed in prison and went on to contribute to society

Are there many murderers like that?

The trouble is that it's the do-gooders who get them released from prison.

Lord Longford springs tae mind.

Note: I said in an independent Scotland cause I believe our justice system is better than Englands.

People who type/write in their accent should be given the death penalty.

From look at the U.S. it does not appear to work as a deterrent, so it would therefore only serve as a punishment. If you look at the issues they've had in the U.S. with lethal injection it is safe to say it can no longer be described as humane.

I wouldn't shed any tears for these people but the length of time it often takes with appeals etc doesn't seem to serve anyone.

There are a few lifers in the UK who will never be released. I think there is an argument that this could be applied to more convicted murderers etc depending on the crimes.

To me, it boils down to the fact that the system should be based on justice and not retribution. If there's a chance that an innocent person could be wrongly put to death then I'd rather not risk it.

You should watch a documentary called 14 Days in May. Its fantastic.

There was a view put forward some years ago that the death sentence would act as a deterrent for illegal parking but not for murder.

I say yes, but that's only because the current prison and criminal justice system is no real deterrent and not much of a punishment - high re-offending rates etc.... If we had a harsher prison regime, tougher sentencing and proper victim restitution I would say no need for capital punishment.

In my lifetime.

Could someone please answer a question which has puzzled me for a long time.

Say someone commits a crime and is sentenced tae 10 years in prison.

I think the usual custom is that he would do 5 years then be let out on licence.

He then commits another crime to which he is sentences tae 10 years.

How long is he in prison for?

He would be recalled to finish the first 10 year sentence. Then the new 10 year sentence would begin. I think.

There was a view put forward some years ago that the death sentence would act as a deterrent for illegal parking but not for murder.

I vaguely remember some comedian saying that you could eliminate speeding overnight by making car manufacturers place a foot-long spike in the middle of every steering wheel :lol:

1) They hanged the wrong man in the "Acid Bath murders" case before they caught up with Christie. See the rather brilliant film "10 Rillington Place" for details

2) The Birmingham Six and Guildford Four would likely have been hanged despite being stitched up

3) There was a guy in America who was recently released after being years on death row. He was close to being executed on more than one occasion despite being innocent.

I'm not sure going "oops, we made a mistake" is of much use to anyone who has been wrongly executed.

He would be recalled to finish the first 10 year sentence. Then the new 10 year sentence would begin. I think.

You think.

The problem (for me) is does he do 5 years of the first sentence then 5 years of the second sentence then let out again or what?

1) They hanged the wrong man in the "Acid Bath murders" case before they caught up with Christie. See the rather brilliant film "10 Rillington Place" for details

2) The Birmingham Six and Guildford Four would likely have been hanged despite being stitched up

3) There was a guy in America who was recently released after being years on death row. He was close to being executed on more than one occasion despite being innocent.

I'm not sure going "oops, we made a mistake" is of much use to anyone who has been wrongly executed.

I did say in Scotland as I believe our justice system is better than Englands.

Archived