Gideon's All Singing, All Dancing Budget. 8th July

I'm Brian

If that's the case then fair enough, but it's a more general point that applies to people I know as well.

Even the initial 70p increase is a pretty big increase by normal standards, at a time of historically low inflation.

ETA: Actually it's the biggest single increase since the minimum wage was introduced in the 90s. A rise of 70p normally takes 4-5 years.

If you're on tax credits it's almost neutral, that is a real terms cut in your earnings.

When the fcuk are pensioners going to be in it together, they don't appear to have lost one brown penny since the crash.

Those already on £7.20 p/h lose ~£30 a week, obviously those on low hourly rates aren't working hard enough for UK PLC.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When the fcuk are pensioners going to be in it together, they don't appear to have lost one brown penny since the crash.

Pensioners vote Tory.

Pensioners vote Tory.

Agree with this. Cameron is aware that much of the support comes from the "grey" vote as it were and is trying to get the Tories to appeal more to younger voters. He was heavily promoting a young MP elected in 2010 (Chloe Smith I think her name was?) who ended up on Newsnight getting lynched off of Paxman

Pensioners represent a massive voting bloc. So neither party wants to upset them. Pension's payments represent half the welfare state and needs to be dealt with at some point. The problem is the current system was setup under the assumption of having a population pyramid.

Pensioners vote Tory.

I was voting Tory in previous elections, the old fcukers are going to bankrupt the country if the politicians don't grow a pair and cut their cash at some point.

Pensioners represent a massive voting bloc. So neither party wants to upset them. Pension's payments represent half the welfare state and needs to be dealt with at some point. The problem is the current system was setup under the assumption of having a population pyramid.

No doubt when the current under 25s get to their pensionable age of 92, they will abolish the pension.

No doubt when the current under 25s get to their pensionable age of 92, they will abolish the pension.

I think the people in that age group will be fine, as a viable solution, as well as improvements in technology will have happened by that point. It's the people in their late 40's/early 50's who are going to get screwed.

The word c**t get thrown about a lot but Iain Duncan Smith is totally deserving of the title. He genuinely enjoys screwing people over, a really horrible person that I hope gets his comeuppance one day. ImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1436393581.983375.jpg

To be fair, that was taken when Osbourne was announcing the living wage. It was creepy as hell, though. I honestly thought I'd accidentally switched the channel to some goblin based horror film.

People complaining about the grant turned to loans when they'd only have to pay it back if/when they're earning £20k. A good low risk policy and still the leftards aren't happy.

People are generally utterly clueless when it comes to student loans.

Bbbbbbut how will someone get a mortgage with 60k worth of debt hanging over them? How will they eat??

Scottish Labour whinging about this budget is just priceless.

Suck it up, fuckos, you wanted this!

Did they?

Scottish Labour didn't want to win the last election eh? Mmmm'kay.

Smart tactical budget, stolen thunder, Lab and SNP resigned to whinging from the sidelines for the rest of this term!

Thick b*****d.

Thick b*****d.

The Nat behind this alias has a point here.

This is already becoming known as the Living Wage budget and the headlines are largely reflecting that. Even The Guardian has a pretty grudging doff of the cap over that.

Osborne has played a blinder here.

The Nat behind this alias has a point here.

This is already becoming known as the Living Wage budget and the headlines are largely reflecting that. Even The Guardian has a pretty grudging doff of the cap over that.

Osborne has played a blinder here.

The headlines won't fill the gap is some peoples household income, I was wanting a significantly harsher budget IIBH.

Archived