Gideon's All Singing, All Dancing Budget. 8th July

I'm Brian

The National Living Wage plan, if followed through, is good news. £9 an hour by 2020 is a step in the right direction, but it has to keep improving after that. If they want to keep banging on about the economy improving, then back it up by increasing the wage.

Don't agree with it being limited to people who are 25 and over. It should be 18 and over IMO. 21 and over at the absolute minimum.

I agree with others that it isn't a brilliant budget for young people.

£9 an hour minimum wage would be an attack on school leavers, because it would suddenly become a huge barrier to entry for them. Sure, big businesses could afford to pay it, but could your local restaurant? I doubt it, and even then they would be forced to raise their prices meaning they're no better off that they were to begin with.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scottish Labour complaining about how Scottish families will be affected by a Tory budget :lol:

You couldn't mark their necks with a blowtorch.

Scottish Labour complaining about how Scottish families will be affected by a Tory budget :lol:

Labour's response to the budget was absolutely pitiful. They are utterly unelectable for a good 10-15 years unless something incredible happens.

I'm really struggling here. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the possibility that businesses wouldn't take on staff while they were calling for a National Living Wage to be introduced by the Tories a few months ago.

Are we trying to say that's it's too high? Is this actually what I'm reading here?

I'm really struggling here. I didn't hear anyone complaining about the possibility that businesses wouldn't take on staff while they were calling for a National Living Wage to be introduced by the Tories a few months ago.

Are we trying to say that's it's too high? Is this actually what I'm reading here?

It's because it's the Tories have introduced it. Some people are unable to look at anything the Conservative Party does objectively.

Also, surely the only alternative to this living wage is to have what we have at the moment, where the government ends up subsidising businesses by topping up people's salaries with in-work benefits? This must be preferable.

It's because it's the Tories have introduced it. Some people are unable to look at anything the Conservative Party does objectively.

Also, surely the only alternative to this living wage is to have what we have at the moment, where the government ends up subsidising businesses by topping up people's salaries with in-work benefits? This must be preferable.

Spot on.

Why shouldn't they say this?

Why shouldn't they say this?

Because their sheer, utter incompetence led to the tory government in the first place.

The amount taken off of normal families by getting child benefit cut far outweighs any benefit of an increased NMW. Certainly until 2020 when it hits £9. I wonder how big a hit normal people will have taken by the time it hits £9 an hour ?

Archived