Stenhousemuir FC - The Warriors - The 2023/24 Thread

11 hours ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

If I was looking at an identical league table not involving us I'd be thinking of the team at the top 'they've won that already'.

However, the no league title in our history weighs heavy. Most other generic League 2/bottom half League 1 teams have a title or two in the last 15/20 years and so have some muscle memory of success so are more inclined to think they can do it again.

We've got a huge next 4 games in which we play Spartans, Dumbarton and Peterhead. If we come through that (plus others catch up games in hand) with a healthy lead then maybe I'll start to believe!

Anyone know who Spartans 2 games in hand are against ?

Also nice to hear Gary explain the decisions and background around the 3 players leaving. 

Edited by Broxi Bears

East Fife and Dumbarton away from home

Spartans win yesterday which I initially thought was a great result for us, was actually a bit of a blow. Spartans are now our closest challenger, and they have 2 games in hand - Peterhead and Dumbarton have a game in hand but they play one another. Unless Dumbo beat Peterhead they look miles off it. Peterhead have lost three on the bounce. So that Spartans win might actually have been a bad result for us. But I’d rather be 14 points ahead so mustn’t grumble!!

36 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Congratulations to Euan O'Reilly on his 100th appearance for Stenhousemuir. O'Reilly is one of my favourite players at the club and one of the most destructive wingers in the division on his day. He's a thoroughly nice guy too and I'm proud he's representing my team.

Also, the camaraderie amongst this squad is terrific too. Whenever we score, all 10 outfield players celebrate together, and it's heartening to see. I'm a big mark for players celebrating in front of the Norway Stand and big Nicky Jamieson running towards the support yesterday, while Ross Meechan and Adam Brown fist-pump, was the high point of the game.

What a group!

Give the man a Alan Pardew style 9 year contract.

He's been brilliant this season. Really has put some consistency together  in this magical run of games but it's his work rate that's really shone through as well. He works tirelessly for the team and is the real epitome of what we are all about - quality and hard work.

47 minutes ago, Broxi Bears said:

Anyone know who Spartans 2 games in hand are against ?

Also nice to hear Gary explain the decisions and background around the 3 players leaving. 

39 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

East Fife and Dumbarton away from home

Spartans games in hand are...

East Fife v Spartans

Bonnyrigg v Spartans

Then due to the Scottish Cup they'll have another game in hand...

Dumbarton v Spartans

1 hour ago, Burnsythebinman said:

i cant bring myself to believe it yet but were getting dangerously close to the "ours to lose ' territory

Thinking that way myself but It is highly probable that we will lose a game in the near future and then we will see the mettle of the squad in how we react to the loss in the following games.  Going the rest of the season unbeaten would be incredible but we must be realistic. Onward and Upwards.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Crazy Days said:

Thinking that way myself but It is highly probable that we will lose a game in the near future and then we will see the mettle of the squad in how we react to the loss in the following games.  Going the rest of the season unbeaten would be incredible but we must be realistic. Onward and Upwards.

Although we've yet to experience a major set-back - a loss of form, successive defeats, an injury to a key player - we have shown great resilience at points. We've had five red cards over the campaign and haven't lost, winning two and drawing three, and we've always seemed to fund a way to bounce back when we lose daft goals (the Spartans at home, Forfar Athletic yesterday). The spirit in this group of players is incredible.

Edited by Francesc Fabregas

14 hours ago, Broxi Bears said:

Just reading our Gk Coach’s Myles son Jay has signed on loan for Dumbarton 🙂

Our?

More like, signed on loan from your team? 😂

It's so funny how so many think you are close to "Ours to lose" territory. It's been Stenny's to lose for months now. Shame there isn't a team up to challenging but fair play, given the run you guys are on.

A bit like Arbroath when they won promotion from league 1 to the Championship, not blowing teams away but getting results when it seems like you might be up against it. FWIW, I've been saying for the last couple of months that I think Spartans will be the next closest and stand by that.

Enjoy the rest of the season. Not often you get to enjoy a season like this at teams like Stenny or Dumbarton! 

13 minutes ago, squeezebox-son said:

It's so funny how so many think you are close to "Ours to lose" territory. It's been Stenny's to lose for months now. Shame there isn't a team up to challenging but fair play, given the run you guys are on.

A bit like Arbroath when they won promotion from league 1 to the Championship, not blowing teams away but getting results when it seems like you might be up against it. FWIW, I've been saying for the last couple of months that I think Spartans will be the next closest and stand by that.

Enjoy the rest of the season. Not often you get to enjoy a season like this at teams like Stenny or Dumbarton! 

The closest Stenhousemuir have come winning a league title was in 2005/06. After the end of February, three-quarters of the way through, we were nine points clear of Berwick Rangers at the top of the table (albeit having played a game more) and 10 ahead of Cowdenbeath (who had two games in hand). It was an enormous advantage with such a small number of matches to go, yet we contrived to throw it all away and ended up finishing the season in third. The Warriors recorded 73 points that year, a club record, but had nothing to show for it, and it's a campaign that's always made me reflexively cautious about our prospects. I think everyone associated with this team is sanguine about our chances but has their feet planted firmly on the ground.

I appreciate other supporters will look at the league table, look at the gap between first and second, and think: that's the season done. But all it takes is an injury to a key player or a poor run of form and all of a sudden for that unassailable lead to be whittled away and the title race to be blown wide open.

For what it's worth, I've been following Stenhousemuir for 20 years and this is the most fun I've ever had.

would get pelters and rightly so for claiming the race was already over. i think we only won 4 games in first 9 so it only takes that to happen again to drop points and end up 2nd or 3rd. i'm keeping my feet on the ground but quietly beleiving that we can win it if we keep our heads

Sensible takes on things in the two posts above. We are just over the half-way stage in the marathon. Yes, the points cushion we currently hold is handy but plenty can still happen. I'm just treating it with the old, boring cliche "one game at a time." Let's see how Saturday at The Spartans goes.

Congratulations (once again!) to Gary Naysmith and Matty Aitken for winning the Manager of the Month and Player of the Month award respectively for January. The pair both won the award for December too. I've heard of managers winning the award in consecutive months in the past, but has a player?

Regardless, it's an impressive feat and I hope they can maintain their outstanding form over the next four weeks.

12 hours ago, squeezebox-son said:

Our?

More like, signed on loan from your team? 😂

Stenny and Rangers for me, although been to more stenny games than Gers this season 🙂

On 07/01/2024 at 09:37, Burnsythebinman said:

i cant bring myself to believe it yet but were getting dangerously close to the "ours to lose ' territory

If you are as rank for the second half of the season as Clyde were for the first you'll probably still win it!

It’s over. You’ve won the league at a canter and we’re not even out of January. Congratulations and all the best in League 1 next season. I’m confident we won’t be there and will be lucky to still be in League 2.