Dundee United 2015/16 Season

• Replies 12.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really good to see. Its taken a long time for top tier clubs to look to the old 1st Div for good players. I'm more than happy to see this happening more frequently.

Agree, it's also encouraging that a lot of these players are coming from a lower level than even the championship and a great deal are moving from part time to full time etc

This is really good to see. Its taken a long time for top tier clubs to look to the old 1st Div for good players. I'm more than happy to see this happening more frequently.

Gardyne

Millar

Gardyne

Millar

There's always risk attached to making signings regardless of the league they're coming from. Most clubs in Scotland are not in the position of signing players who are the finished product, so they need to look at players who have potential.

It also gives players in the Championship something to aspire to. They know that, if they play well consistently, they have a chance of getting scouted.

Robertson

GMS

Works both ways.

Did either of them come from that division? ;)

I wasn't trying to make a point, merely alluding to the fact we have form already in this aspect - sometimes it works, sometimes it don't, the same as any other signing.

By the by, I thought Millar and Gardyne were good signings... before I saw them play.

Ciftci rejects extension beyond summer 2016. Hardly the biggest surprise of the century. Might be lucky to get a move anywhere in a hurry with threat of lengthy suspension hanging over him.

Ciftci's turned down the contract extension according to the statement United put out:

'Dundee United’s top goal scorer Nadir Çiftçi has rejected a contract extension offer to remain at Tannadice until May 2017. The Terrors’ striker scored 16 times last season. Now the 23-year-old Turkish front man, who has netted 33 goals in his 82 appearances, has decided that he’ll seek a new challenge when his current contract expires at the end of May 2016.

Jackie McNamara said: “Nadir is a top performer for us and his worth to the team is much more than goals. He is a regular and this season alone played more than 85% game time which is evidence of the positive and professional attitude he has on and off the pitch. People forget he is a young player and we are pleased to be part of his development while getting the best of him on the pitch.

“We respect his decision and his ambition as we know he’s attracted significant attention from other clubs. However I’m looking forward to welcoming him back for the new season so that he can be part of a side that will once again challenge at the top of the game.”

Nadir Çiftçi said: “After extending my two-year contract in December 2013 with an extra year, I have decided that after three years at Dundee United I will be looking for a new challenge. I’m satisfied with my development so far and therefore I must thank the coaching staff who played a big part in that. I would also like to thank the fans and the Club, who have always been behind me.”'

Not a huge surprise really, I couldn't see him renewing even after United's fairly...strong defense of his latest antics. No doubt Celtic will wait to sign him on a pre-contract in January and then chuck a couple of hundred thousand pounds our way on deadline day again when we've no time to look to replace him.

Hopefully we'll hear some good news about Souttar and his contract extension soon though. It'd be a real boost for morale to see him signed up for longer, even if it was just a one year extension.

He's got to be sold now I would say (as long as we get more value for him than he would give the team, but then when you consider he might be suspended at the start of the season and ultimately will be suspended at various points throughout the season then that value isn't that high).

Worst case scenario would be selling him in January and not replacing him properly.

Archived